News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bilstein shocks

Started by flyinlow, May 14, 2015, 09:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

Have been running KYB gas adjusts for 30k miles. Have upgraded the springs ,sway bars, steering box and now 18" wheels and modern tires.  '73/440.

Was thinking of Bilsteins from FF or PST. Any reviews? Want good dampening with out the sometimes harshness the KYB's have.

c00nhunterjoe

I have yet to hear a single complaint from anyone who has upgraded from any brand shock to bilsteins. They have all claimed they are worth their weight in gold if you want a cornering or "spirited" driving car.

bill440rt

I swapped out my KYB's for a set of Fox shocks from Hotchkis. They are valved differently by Hotchkis. Hotchkis are now carrying the Fox shocks vs the Billsteins.
Night & day difference. The car rides so much better and handles better. No complaints.

I've also heard the lower bushings on the Billsteins are very tight & hard to install over the mount stem. Some guys have drilled the bushing out larger to get theirs installed.
I did not have any problems like that with the Fox shocks, went right on.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Charger-Bodie

Both of my sets of bilstiens went right on and work awesome!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

myk

Eh, a good, large C-clamp will take care of those tight lower bushings...

70sixpkrt

Last month I installed the Bilsteins on the front and I'm happy with them. A big difference compared to the Monroe's I was using.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

Kern Dog

I compare KYBs to Bilsteins like this:
From Rosie O'Donnell to Jessica Alba.
Okay, waaaaay off topic, but in short, the KYBs really are not a good shock unless you have weak, soft t bars and leaf springs. Their stiff design are a crutch for worn out or undersized springs.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: bill440rt on May 14, 2015, 09:20:02 PM

I've also heard the lower bushings on the Billsteins are very tight & hard to install over the mount stem. Some guys have drilled the bushing out larger to get theirs installed.
I did not have any problems like that with the Fox shocks, went right on.  :yesnod:

Thats what I had to do with mine....

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger-Bodie

You guys have to take the nuts and washers off.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger-Bodie