News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Quarter windows still move forward after contacting stops

Started by Calif240, May 16, 2015, 04:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calif240

Hey guys... so I decided to take out my backseats to clean some things and re-grease the window gears and channels as well as a couple of other things while she's down, awaiting new heads... My quarter windows have never really adjusted well, despite using the hex/overnut to move them in and out, and moving the frame and everything forward or aft. One of the things that I don't THINK is correct but I figured I'd ask, is my quarter windows contact the stops, and they won't go up any more, but they'll still move forward. This is fine when the front windows are up, as the fronts will act as the stop. However, If I roll the backs up first, then I have to be careful because they'll actually go further than the back of the front windows. That being said, if you slam the front door shut, the front window will hit the rear window and I'd really like to keep that from happening. Is it just a design flaw on these, so that I need to roll up the front first always and then the back? Or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Terry
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

HeavyFuel

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,98556.0.html

Best I can do.   My brain has purged this experience from my memory as a self preservation tactic.    :eek2:

Calif240

Thanks for the link. I didn't see this when I did my original search. Much obliged. Mine look good except going forward still after hitting stops.

VegasCharger

Try doing this: have a buddy help you. Have your front window rolled up and have your helper on the outside of the car. Now roll up your rear window then loosen up both the forward stop and the up stop just enough that they will move. Also loosen the two large hex nuts just enough that there's movement. Now have your helper on the outside and you in the inside both press against the glass while moving the glass the most forward postion and the most upward position at the same time. Next part is tricky unless you have a third person to help. You need to tighten up all of the 4 loosen nut and bolts while the glass is getting held into position. Have your tools ready to pick up and operate using only one hand if no third helper available. Or if there's no room for two people inside of that particular quarter window area. Now see if there are any improvements made with the rear quarter window tracking. This is how I attempted to do it as someone else in here advised doing it that way and it seemed to work. However I did this by myself and it was very difficult to hold and tighten at the same time. Somehow I got lucky and pulled it off.

You should be able to close the door w/o issues of the glass (either scenario) hitting the other glass. Meaning if you have you front window up and want to roll up the rear window, it should track up against the edge of the front glass trim channel until it stops at the most upward position and then have no gaps.

Or if you have the front glass down with the rear glass up and then roll up the front glass, it also should track up against the edge of the rear glass edge until it stops at the most upward position and then have no gaps. Or if you open the door with the front glass down and then it gets rolled up while door is still open, you should have no issues with the glass not mating up together when closing the door and also have no gaps.

Just my  :Twocents:

Hope this helps :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Calif240

I know where the up stop and the down stop are... I don't know that I see a forward stop on the quarters... IS it a bolt on the skin or internal to the guides/frame?
Thanks
Terry

VegasCharger

Thanks for pointing that out, after all of that writing I forgot to included to loosen up both mounting bolts that holds the glass to the carrier bracket and see if there is any forward movement you can gain there.

Calif240

Thanks! I'll definitely try that... Also, I found this picture...

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/upload2/4617429-DSC09642.JPG

It shows all interior window components apparently. There are three items at the center of the bottom (just betwen frame and bottom stop). I don't think I have these. Maybe this is my issue? Are these mounted to the frame and help with stopping?

Terry

VegasCharger

Quote from: Calif240 on May 18, 2015, 07:16:03 AM
Thanks! I'll definitely try that... Also, I found this picture...

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/upload2/4617429-DSC09642.JPG

It shows all interior window components apparently. There are three items at the center of the bottom (just betwen frame and bottom stop). I don't think I have these. Maybe this is my issue? Are these mounted to the frame and help with stopping?

Terry

These? (see red circle)

Calif240

Yes... I don't see those in my assembly or internals or anything. I have a bottom stop that mounts to the frame and a top stop that is secured to the inner quarter skin. Those three pieces I don't see anywhere, and I never saw a forward stop... ???
Thanks,
Terry

VegasCharger

Quote from: Calif240 on May 18, 2015, 09:25:43 AM
Yes... I don't see those in my assembly or internals or anything. I have a bottom stop that mounts to the frame and a top stop that is secured to the inner quarter skin. Those three pieces I don't see anywhere, and I never saw a forward stop... ???
Thanks,
Terry

Okay well there seems to be your problem. I've attached more pics to explain more in detail.

Pic 1. The same pic for reference. Yellow arrow is the rubber bumper for the bottom stop. See pic 2 with the same yellow arrow. Red arrow is the forward stop adjuster bracket (see pics 3 & 4). The green arrow is the rubber bumper for the forward stop adjuster bracket (see pic 3).

Pic 2. The rubber bumper for the bottom stop. The pointed shape goes into the rocker panel for mounting.

Pic 3. Repeat of pic 1 details, red arrow is the forward stop adjuster bracket. The green arrow is the rubber bumper for the forward stop adjuster bracket. Also the white arrow is to show you that is the tab from the glass carrier bracket that meets up with the forward stop adjuster bracket.

Pic 4. Looking at the window frame this is the location of where the forward adjuster bracket mounts, notice the slot for adjustments.

So that is where your problem is coming from, the lack of not having a forward stop bracket.

Let me know if anything above is not clear to you. Hope that helps.

:cheers: :cheers:

Calif240

Awesome!!! That explains it! Now I just have to find out if those parts are somewhere else and were missed or if they're long gone. I assume I could fab up something if I had to.
Thanks much.

I think I'll try to draw up a nice diagram for everyone with all adjustments if I can at some point since there are so many articles on here.

Thanks,
Terry