News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

lower control arm question

Started by Lennard, May 06, 2015, 11:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lennard

I have a question that I couldn't find the answer to via the search function. On a second generation Charger lower control arm...how much side to side play of the torsion bar adjustment lever is to much play? Or isn't there such thing?

WHITE AND RED 69

Ideally you want the side to side play to be minimal, enough room that it moves freely but not too much movement side to side.

If you have to much play the fix is pretty simple. Attached is an instruction video to show how much play is acceptable and how to repair the slop in the arms.   :2thumbs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwes-SP8u4w
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Lennard

That sucks... Both my lower control arms had little play until the bracings were welded on. I think the heat might have distorted them cause now they have 1/8 of an inch play  :RantExplode:  What would be the consequences if I use them as is?
Thank you for your reply  :2thumbs:

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: Lennard on May 07, 2015, 01:03:54 AM
That sucks... Both my lower control arms had little play until the bracings were welded on. I think the heat might have distorted them cause now they have 1/8 of an inch play  :RantExplode:  What would be the consequences if I use them as is?
Thank you for your reply  :2thumbs:

If it is an 1/8" of play total that shouldn't be too bad. If it had any more play than that I would definitely re weld it. I've heard that from the factory some arms had some slop built in, so you might be able to run it as is since once the torsion bar and pivot shaft are installed it should hold it in place.

But if the arms are off the car I would fix it now. New stiffening plates are only $25 bucks so its not too big of a loss.  
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Lennard

Fixed it today....drilled the two spot welds loose on one side of the top brace, tightened it up and reweld it just like in the video. :2thumbs:
Thanks again.

WHITE AND RED 69

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster