News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Would going from 2 1/2 to 3'' exhaust be worth it???

Started by 69wannabe, January 22, 2014, 11:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooter

With a 3" set up, there's a 'good' sounding loud....then, there's the obnoxious pulp wood truck loud, with long tube headers and 2" pipes, no balance X pipe, blown out Cherry bombs....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Cooter on February 18, 2014, 06:49:04 AM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on February 18, 2014, 01:58:07 AM
The only people who will say that your car sounds bad is the same folks who just ate your dust because thats the only way they are gonna find out that it sounds bad to them is when their behind.... :2thumbs:

Wrong. There are those who seem to think it's just grand to leave a car show sideways and WOT sounding like a pulp wood truck.

For your information, i dont leave car shows sideways. If i "make an exit" there are no other cars coming and i make the car hook and go in a straight line. and my car does not have the trade marked "tin can" sound associated with the name flowmaster. Most people dont beleive me when i tell them they are flowmasters on it. It has a unique muscle car deep powerful tone to it.

Cooter

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on February 18, 2014, 06:56:49 PM
Quote from: Cooter on February 18, 2014, 06:49:04 AM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on February 18, 2014, 01:58:07 AM
The only people who will say that your car sounds bad is the same folks who just ate your dust because thats the only way they are gonna find out that it sounds bad to them is when their behind.... :2thumbs:

Wrong. There are those who seem to think it's just grand to leave a car show sideways and WOT sounding like a pulp wood truck.

For your information, i dont leave car shows sideways. If i "make an exit" there are no other cars coming and i make the car hook and go in a straight line. and my car does not have the trade marked "tin can" sound associated with the name flowmaster. Most people dont beleive me when i tell them they are flowmasters on it. It has a unique muscle car deep powerful tone to it.

For your info. I wasn't referring to you. Just those types in general.  You know who I'm referring to.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

70-500-SE-EXPORT

I have a 3" flowmaster system with 1 7/8 headers on my 68 with a 383 and I like it. The motor ran much better with the free flowing exhaust. I'm happy I went with the 3". It is fairly loud so If you don't want to hear the exhaust all the time sick with a 2.5"..There is a mopar muscle article I remember seeing where they dyno tested a 440 with 2.5 and 3" exhaust. The larger system had substantial power gains.
68 Charger original SS1 paint with matching # 383hp

Ghoste

Thats interesting.  I would think of it being overkill on a 383 unless it was heavily modified but I do have a buddy that had 3 inch behind a 390 Ford.

Cooter

Quote from: 70-500-SE-EXPORT on April 18, 2014, 06:13:47 AM
I have a 3" flowmaster system with 1 7/8 headers on my 68 with a 383 and I like it. The motor ran much better with the free flowing exhaust. I'm happy I went with the 3". It is fairly loud so If you don't want to hear the exhaust all the time sick with a 2.5"..There is a mopar muscle article I remember seeing where they dyno tested a 440 with 2.5 and 3" exhaust. The larger system had substantial power gains.

:2thumbs:

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Ghoste on April 18, 2014, 07:59:54 AM
Thats interesting.  I would think of it being overkill on a 383 unless it was heavily modified but I do have a buddy that had 3 inch behind a 390 Ford.

Have you ever had a built 383 ? They are not to be taken lightly. I love them.

Ghoste

Yes I most certainly have.  I'm trying to think of it in a context with 3" exhaust and admittedly my last 383 was a great deal better when the headers were uncorked but I still never considered a 3inch system.
Whether right or wrong I found it interesting.

ACUDANUT

My local Muffler guy does not have the equipment to bend 3 inch exhaust. So I guess I am stuck with 2 1/2.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 19, 2014, 09:10:15 AM
My local Muffler guy does not have the equipment to bend 3 inch exhaust. So I guess I am stuck with 2 1/2.
It'll sound just as good. Is the guy charging less than TTi?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Cooter

Most of the time here, it's cheaper to just buy a mandrel bent system. Muffler shops are beginning to get crazy with custom prices.

Ghoste

Here too.  We have one independent guy in town that is a car guy and he is still a good option but if you go to the franchise places they only want to sell the pre bent stuff out of stock and expect to be allowed to hose you if you need something not in the rack.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Mopar Nut on April 19, 2014, 08:50:32 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 19, 2014, 09:10:15 AM
It'll sound just as good. Is the guy charging less than TTi?

I never checked. Hmmm  :scratchchin:

shart70rt

I am running a 496 stroker, Comp Hyd Roller (542 lift), Edelbrock heads, dual edelbrock 600's, 2" TTI headers and 3 inch TTI pipes with x crossover.

Develops 525 HP and 640 torque on dyno. Torque maxes out at 3400 rpm, and stays at max till 5500 rpm.

The engine sounds wicked through the pipes, and had no problems mounting the exhaust. Using the mufflers from TTI also. Have the 3" stainless Charger tips on them. I do have a 4 post lift that helped a lot on the exhaust install. Quality of hangers, clamps, etc on the TTI exhaust is fantastic.

I did have to buy a RobbMc starter to fit with the headers, because I have the large Lakewood Scattershield and 143 tooth flywheel.

It is not quiet - figure adding a stereo would be a waste of money. Will use mp3 player and headphones.

Stephen
Stephen Hart
1970 Charger RT, 440, console 4-speed, Dana 60 3.54
500 Stroker, Edelbrock Heads, Edelbrock intake, dual 600 CFM Carbs,
Comp Hydraulic Roller
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch setup, Passon Performance overdrive gearset in 833 18 spline 4 spd.
TTI 2 inch headers and 3 inch exhaust.
Subframe connectors
P-S-T polygraphite suspension
4 wheel disc brakes
Classic Auto Air AC
Billet Performance Serpentine Assy
reassembly in progress

Kern Dog

Quote from: Cooter on April 20, 2014, 08:13:04 AM
Most of the time here, it's cheaper to just buy a mandrel bent system. Muffler shops are beginning to get crazy with custom prices.

I agree. When I went from the 2 1/2" system to the 3 inch, I decided to buy a kit instead. Part of it was that the local muffler monkey is limited in his abilities. There is no way a shop can compression bend a 3" system without reducing the diameter in the process. The old system was already less than 2 1/4" in some places. By ordering a X section and four  3" mandrel bent sections, I welded it all myself with the car on jackstands. The system was a true 3" from the headers to the ends of the mufflers. Experts have said that tailpipes can be smaller than the middle section because the exhaust gases are much cooler at that point.
My 3" exhaust upgrade also included 3" Ultra Flow mufflers. The power increase was nice, but the reduction in sound compared to the Flowmasters was REALLY nice.