News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

GILMORE CAR MUSEUM GOES AERO!!

Started by Mopar John, May 02, 2015, 09:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

A couple of years ago I contacted the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners, Michigan about displaying our Daytona?
They were very interested but in the middle of a large expansion project. They are now home to six museums built like
dealerships and garages of olden days. Now that they are complete they are going to rotate displays through the main
gallery that is the center piece of the campus. Our Daytona is part of the first display titled " Mid Century Performance".
It is a great collection of rare muscle from the late 60's and early 70's! We wanted to share the restored Daytona with
others in a nice setting close to home and are glad this all came together! The Gilmore Car Museum is host to the long
running "Mopars at the Red Barns" show each summer also! The museum is located about 15 miles north of Grand Rapids.
MJ

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

6bblgt

1970Moparmann

Looks great John!  How long will it be there?
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

C500

"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Mopar John

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 02, 2015, 11:48:59 PM
Looks great John!  How long will it be there?

The agreement is for up to two years if the display does well which it should.
Thanks everyone! MJ

hemi68charger

Wow, that is an honor.... With it being a museum, that means the public can walk-about..... Which begs the question from me, how are the vehicles protected from the public that don't have "car show" etiquette?
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

chargerman69

Almost 3hrs west of me
Maybe ill make it there this summer

SBBob

Superbird Bob - 426 Hemi, 4 Speed, 3.54 Track Pack

1970Moparmann

If you guys have never been, it is an awesome place.   Last year went to a show, and the one of the few building open was the Ford building - it was unbelievable on how they put it together.   It was a great Ford history lesson.   I can only image how it is now with all the building open!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 03, 2015, 08:16:09 AM
Wow, that is an honor.... With it being a museum, that means the public can walk-about..... Which begs the question from me, how are the vehicles protected from the public that don't have "car show" etiquette?
Troy,
I know what your saying about car show etiquette!
They have guides in the main gallery to keep an eye on things.
Sort of like those people in antique stores that follow you
around but pretend their shopping.

The first show the Daytona was displayed at was the Indy Cylinder Head show.
A guy comes up with a seeing eye dog that had one of those wire mesh
choker collars around it's neck. The dog took a hit on the Daytona and was under
the display barrier and all over the place! WOW!
MJ

3--Daytona

M OPAR John_ hope you made it through the winter OK.  Loook like a nice place for car show.
THE wingwarrios club had a gather" at the Red Barnes  complex some years ago. A very nice place for car show.
The car looks good. Looks like they gave you plenty of room.
A S  far as car show behavior; Ive seen it All, We have shown the red car from Penn.to Winnepeg to Van nyes.to Mobile back to  MI AND HOME..
MY WORST  FEAR   elderly people { I CAN SAY THAT, BECAUSE IM ELDERLY]  they bend over to =look= they turn loose of that big ole nice camera, bang goes the fender. AND nothing like couple boys ,with  2dogs each with me tel chain.,,, Well so goes car showing

tan top

good stuff MJ  :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 03, 2015, 08:16:09 AM

that was my first thought  :yesnod:too
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

4cruzin

Was just talking today about MOPAR's at the red barn and how we plan to go this year. . .  Will the display still be up then?   :cheers:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Mopar John

Quote from: 3--Daytona on May 04, 2015, 02:15:00 PM
  M OPAR John_ hope you made it through the winter OK.  Loook like a nice place for car show.
THE wingwarrios club had a gather" at the Red Barnes  complex some years ago. A very nice place for car show.
The car looks good. Looks like they gave you plenty of room.
A S  far as car show behavior; Ive seen it All, We have shown the red car from Penn.to Winnepeg to Van nyes.to Mobile back to  MI AND HOME..
MY WORST  FEAR   elderly people { I CAN SAY THAT, BECAUSE IM ELDERLY]  they bend over to =look= they turn loose of that big ole nice camera, bang goes the fender. AND nothing like couple boys ,with  2dogs each with me tel chain.,,, Well so goes car showing
Jim,
Great to hear from you and hope your doing well!
We had a rough winter up here in Indiana with plenty of snow off the lake!
The Daytona is in a nice spot and it's right next to an office so I hope all goes well.
Hope to see you at Talladega! MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: 4cruzin on May 04, 2015, 10:10:24 PM
Was just talking today about MOPAR's at the red barn and how we plan to go this year. . .  Will the display still be up then?   :cheers:
Yes, the display will be up for the Mopars at the Red Barns show!
Should be a neat show with all the Mopars on display in the main gallery.
The display should stay up through this year and possibly longer.
MJ

69rtse4spd

Way to go John,  :2thumbs:, now if they need to move it do they contact you or push it around. Also what if it sits for to long, do you get to come in & start it up now & then , keep things lubed up, fresh gas & so on. And what if it gets damaged by some numnut, will they cover it, let you take to who restored it before or try & say it was already like that, which we all no is not true.   

Aero426

Quote from: 69rtse4spd on May 05, 2015, 03:54:21 PM
Way to go John,  :2thumbs:, now if they need to move it do they contact you or push it around. Also what if it sits for to long, do you get to come in & start it up now & then , keep things lubed up, fresh gas & so on. And what if it gets damaged by some numnut, will they cover it, let you take to who restored it before or try & say it was already like that, which we all no is not true.    

The Gilmore Museum is quite a place, and very credible.   Generally, when your car is on display, it is completely static unless it has to come out for a special event.    When I was there last year, I remember being able to move freely around most cars without them being roped off.    I am also going to make an assumption that you as the car owner need to keep your insurance in force while it is on display.    Yes, there is some risk any time your car is out in public.    But people have to pay to get in here.   And it's far enough out of the way that it isn't a tourist trap, like say, the car museum in Branson MO.   That in itself will keep out almost all the riff raff.    

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemigeno

Hi John, congrats on the display!  Very cool indeed.   :2thumbs:   :cheers:

Dumb question for you - what are the gray thingies under the rocker panels?  It looked like the orange Challenger had a write-up / display board mounted to theirs, perhaps?

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: hemigeno on May 13, 2015, 03:35:45 PM
Dumb question for you - what are the gray thingies under the rocker panels?

I'm gonna guess they are a nice way of preventing you from getting too close  :shruggy:
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Mopar John

Hi John, congrats on the display!  Very cool indeed.   :2thumbs:   :cheers:

Dumb question for you - what are the gray thingies under the rocker panels?  It looked like the orange Challenger had a write-up / display board mounted to theirs, perhaps?

Hi Gene!
Yes indeed the gray bases by all the cars on display will eventually have a display board with info about the car.
The museum has asked us for info on the Daytona and will put a story board together.
Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on May 13, 2015, 04:21:46 PM
Dumb question for you - what are the gray thingies under the rocker panels?

I'm gonna guess they are a nice way of preventing you from getting too close  :shruggy:
Dave,
You are correct on the bases! They are placed on the high traffic side of the cars and give a subliminal message to stay a bit back.
MJ

wingcarenvy

Mopar John

GILMORE CAR MUSEUM VISIT!!
Well 426 Linda and I have finally had a chance to go up and see our Daytona on display at the Gilmore Car Museum!
The museum campus has had a lot of construction completed since I was up there a few years back swapping at
the Mopars at the Red Barns show!
  The first picture shows the entrance to the main gallery. The second picture is of our Daytona on display.
The third picture is a close up of the new display board in front of the Daytona.
The last picture is of a larger area that shows the Daytona near the gift shop where all the visitors exit!
MJ

Mopar John

GILMORE CAR MUSEUM VISIT PART 2!
While we were up at the museum we walked the entire campus and were able to see all the new buildings
and the cars on display. It was simply amazing!
The first picture is of the new LINCOLN car museum! What I didn't realize is that it is connected to the
main building and that area is full of cars also! The second picture is of the FRANKLIN car museum.
This building is also connected to the main building and to the LINCOLN building with all the connections
full of cars. This is great to be able to move around from building to building!

JB400

Mopar John

GILMORE CAR MUSEUM VISIT PART 3!
There are a couple of more new buildings that are stand alones and across the museum street.
The first picture is of the new CADILLAC museum with cars on display and a vintage service bay!
The second picture is of the new FORD museum with old model A's and model T's and more!
The third picture shows the vintage "FILLING STATION" in front of the FORD museum!

The 4 original red barns are still there and they all have been remodeled or added too.
One has been turned into a HUDSON museum. Another is now the CCCA museum that has
been expanded out the back. Another is the electric car / steam car building with a new second level.
The last is an antique toy display with a huge pedal car display!
  I would guess there are around 200 cars on display total. ENJOY!
MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: JB400 on June 10, 2015, 02:36:32 PM
Looks good being on display. :2thumbs:
Thanks!
   We are happy to share our Daytona with others rather than it being sealed up in storage collecting dust!
MJ

Mopar John

Here is a chance to go to a GREAT long running Mopar show and visit the museum!
MJ

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html