News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

idler arm question

Started by fireguyfire, May 02, 2015, 04:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireguyfire

wanted the local shop to do an alignment on my 68; they said they couldnt as it has too much up/down play on the end that mounts onto the K member. It does have some up/down play if you pull it on the shaft that secures it to the K member. How should I go about shimming it? With big washers?
Should I shim it to the top, or the bottom of the space it attaches to on the K member? (if I can only get 1 washer in to take the play out, should I put it on the top or the bottom of the idler arm, or does it matter?)
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'69 Sweptline Adventurer pickup
'56 Dodge Regent

A383Wing

you need a new arm, washer shimming will not correct a worn out idler arm

fireguyfire

It's brand new; just finished a full rotisserie restoration which is why I need the alignment.
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

charger Downunder

Did you compare the old idler arm to the new one.
[/quote]

terrible one

Make sure it is torqued to spec; the metal "sleeve" where the bolt passes through should not move. You may find that the idler is pivoting on the bolt that goes through it.

A383Wing

Quote from: fireguyfire on May 02, 2015, 05:07:08 PM
It's brand new; just finished a full rotisserie restoration which is why I need the alignment.

just because it's new, does not mean it's a good one..what brand and did you install it correctly per instruction sheet?

fireguyfire

I will check torque; I didn't realize that sleeve was tightened and didn't move; I assumed the idler arm pivoted on the bolt that holds it to the k member.
So for clarity, the sleeve that the bolt goes through stays stationary because of being torqued tight to the upper and lower ears of the k member, and the idler arm pivots around its own metal sleeve on the bushing?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

fireguyfire

Oh, it's a year one idler arm and exactly matches the old one taken out
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

terrible one

Quote from: fireguyfire on May 03, 2015, 12:36:51 AM
I will check torque; I didn't realize that sleeve was tightened and didn't move; I assumed the idler arm pivoted on the bolt that holds it to the k member.
So for clarity, the sleeve that the bolt goes through stays stationary because of being torqued tight to the upper and lower ears of the k member, and the idler arm pivots around its own metal sleeve on the bushing?

Yes that's exactly right  :yesnod:

timmycharger

Had the same issue, ended up just torqueing to spec. it felt super tight until I greased it and then it was smooth with zero play.

HPP

I suppose you should verify if the idler is sliding up and down within its mount or if the bushings inside it are cracked and allowing it to pivot up and down. I have seen both instances occur.

A383Wing

Quote from: fireguyfire on May 03, 2015, 12:38:01 AM
Oh, it's a year one idler arm and exactly matches the old one taken out

Year One does not "make" idler arms....possibly an off shore Taiwan part re-boxed by them....should have just gone to local auto part store and purchased a Moog or comparable part with a warranty

c00nhunterjoe

If i recall, the new ones come with 2 different thickness washers. My moog did anyway. The new arm flopped around in the mount and you put a washer in to remove the slack.

PlainfieldCharger

Just put a new idler arm on mine :icon_smile_big:. Sometime the "ears" are bent away from each other causing the slop and/or making the center link out of parralell...So after installing the washers you still might need to bend the ears to make the center link as parallel to the ground as you can.

John_Kunkel

The fact that the alignment shop didn't know about the loose bolt end play would make me question their competence.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

To be honest, its 99% impossible anymore to find a REAL front end guy. Sure, some shops have big new fancy machines, but the guy running them is just like the guy behind the counter at advance auto. They are "toe-n-go" guys and even then, they usually dont understand alignment angles and what they are actually doing. They know that the arrow on the screen says to turn the nut to the right until the number turns green. End of story.
   If you can find a real front end man, pay him, and tip him with beer. Well, i prefer beer anyway....lol.

1974dodgecharger

I get mine done at Sears and the guys know me pretty well enough that im involved in the alignment.....I get what I want.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on May 13, 2015, 12:10:18 AM
I get mine done at Sears and the guys know me pretty well enough that im involved in the alignment.....I get what I want.

:cheers: