News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Door issues

Started by keith88, April 20, 2015, 11:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keith88

Doing little things to the car now one of them is the drivers side door will not stay open unless it is all the way open and it could use a adjustment seeing that it seems to be a little low on alignment any ideas?
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

JB400

Have the hinges been rebuilt?

keith88

Not that i an a where of i have only had the car a year  but i would say no , how hard and complex are they to do?
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

JB400

It's not hard.  It's just a matter of unbolting the hinge, knocking out the pin, enlarging part of the hinge for the bushing, and then reassembly.  The bolts behind the dash can be a pain. 

It might be possible to do this without unbolting the hinge, which will save time on realignment.  Support the back of the door with a jack, then knock out the pin.  Depending on which hinge you start with, just raise or lower the door with the jack until you can get access to the hinge side and install the bushing after you enlarged the holes.  Put the door back in position and reinstall the pin.

Personally, I've always removed the hinge, then rebuilt them.  But, I was replacing the doors as well when I rebuilt the hinges.

fy469rtse

Keith ,
open your door ,
see if you have any slop in hinges buy trying to lift it up at the back by hand with door open
on a completed car like yours ,
kit is to drill out and bush , with new pins,
jack it up , take front wheels off so you can splash shields off,
that way you can take one hinge off at a time ,
don't let anyone go near or open those doors , this way when you bolt hinges back on , they will be some where they need to be ,  do the fine adjust door with each hinge replacement
it may drop a little but I think you should be good,
when I bush hinges I also drill and tap a grease nipple into hinge, tops ,so I can grease it under pressure, there the ones that usually wear the most   :2thumbs:

keith88

There don't seem to be any slop they don't move up and down. The biggest issue is the door not staying open unless it is open all the way.. is there a spring that holds them open maybe? not sure what i would be looking for to see if anything is broke .The only other issue is that the back of the door could stand to go 1/4" higher to aline with the body better.

Lennard

Each door has one hinge with an S shaped spring to hold the door half way open. I bet one of your springs is broken and or gone.

keith88

OK after taking a closer look it would seem that the notched wheel that moves on the spring and holds the door open in different spots is worn Any one know if they make replacement?

Lennard

I don't think anyone makes just the notched wheel. It's probably stuck, it's supposed to spin so it wears evenly if any.

keith88

It spins fine the notches are warn ...not as deep as they should be

Lennard

Okay, then you just need to replace that hinge for a better one. :Twocents:

keith88

For a .10 part.. that sucks :-\

Lennard

Maybe you can fill the worn out spaces up a bit with a welder?