News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power steering not working

Started by fireguyfire, June 15, 2015, 11:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireguyfire

After a full resto on my car the only issue left to sort out is that I have no power steering assist. The belt is tight, fluid is up, no leaks. The gearbox seems ok and steers smoothly, just no assist; also both hoses are brand new.
Is there a way I can trouble shoot the power steering system to find out if the issue is with the pump (95% chance) or the gearbox (5%)?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'69 Sweptline Adventurer pickup
'56 Dodge Regent

fireguyfire

Should also add, it's an AC car.
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

fireguyfire

Ok:; played with the car tonite and the pump is not moving any fluid; its pooched!
Is it better to have it rebuilt,or replace it with a new one.
My car is a 383 AC car and I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can't find replacement pumps that fit it because of the different mounting brackets on an AC car; anybody got any experience with this problem?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

ws23rt

Since the pump is not moving fluid I would take it apart and learn something new. Their is not much to them and you have nothing to lose while you search for another.

birdsandbees

Did you leave a hose or fitting plugged or capped when you reinstalled the hoses after the resto?
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

fireguyfire

Im 95% sure I didnt, but Ill check; thanks!
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

birdsandbees

Easy to do in a hurry if you use the plastic ID caps in a fitting bore. Don't ask how I know..
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Ponch ®

Quote from: fireguyfire on June 16, 2015, 10:33:50 PM

My car is a 383 AC car and I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can't find replacement pumps that fit it because of the different mounting brackets on an AC car; anybody got any experience with this problem?

I also have a 383 AC car and had no issues finding the pump. It's the Federal pump that's unobtainable at the moment...
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

fireguyfire

Ok; getting really frustrated with this car!
Ordered a rebuilt power steering pump from Classic industries and installed it today. Just to recap I now have new power steering pump, new steering gearbox and new low/high pressure lines.
Followed the instructions for reinstalling/bleeding to a "T"; jacked up the front end and topped the reservoir and went full left to right 20 times ensuring the level didnt get too low in the process( which it didnt).
Next step was to quickly start the car and shut it off and check fluid level; top as necessary (it was fine)
Final step was to start the car with the front end raised and go left to right 20 more times.
I had fluid backing out the top of the filler neck through the cap under pressure, and looking into the top of the reservoir it still looks like I have no fluid moving!!!!
THere are no blockages/plugs on anything, and the only thing that is not new/rebuilt is the valve assembly on top of the gearbox where the hoses connect. Could this be my problem? It feels to me like the pump is making pressure but the fluid is not moving so when you turn the wheel the pressure is coming back and the fluid is overflowing.
Anybody had this problem/got any ideas how I can troubleshoot this stupid system?
Should I pull the high pressure line at the gearbox and tweak the starter to see if Ive got fluid flowing to there?
How can I tell if that valve on top of the gearbox is working or not?

ANy help would be greatly appreciated; I am getting frustrated and pissed as I now have a huge power steering fluid mess through the front of my newly restored car as well as my shop floor.
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

70 sublime

The valve on top of the steering box is the only thing left
They have an adjustment to them to put even pressure when turning left or right
Just loosen the bolt that holds it down and slide it up or down from where it is now
Maybe it is just too far one way ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

ws23rt

I was about to reply with the same conclusion.  The valve body on the steering gear is all that's left to look at.

It is true that to move the valve body is the adjustment for centering the steering. But if that was the only problem it would have shown up as a move to the right or left of the steering.

The trouble may be in the valve body itself.  My vote is the valve body is stuck. I would take it apart with the FSM at hand to satisfy my curiosity and maybe fix the problem. The other way is to try another one.

If the valve is removed it is important to pay attention to the three o rings at the mounting surface. They need to be in good shape and of the right size.