News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

GTX v Roadrunner

Started by JMF, April 20, 2015, 09:13:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

Just wondering what is the difference and what is more desirable out of a 69 Roadrunner and a 69 GTX ? Is it just trim differences or is one or the other considered to be the performance model ? Both would have had 440's I assume ?

RJS

A 69 Road Runner came with a 383 standard and HEMI as ONLY option in engines.
A 69 GTX came standard with a 440 and HEMI as ONLY option in engines.

The wildcard so to speak was in 69 1/2 when the A12 RoadRunner was produced with the first time you can have a 440 in Road Runner.
It came with a 440 + 6 (3 two barrel carbs.) and liftoff hood with large scoop and 15x6 wheels painted Black no caps and just chrome lugs. Also came standard with a 4.10 Dana Axle whether it was auto, or stick.

Yes GTX was a higher trim level with extra moldings and a flattened black paint on lower body separated by a chrome trim too.

myk

Why was the Roadrunner initially not available with the 440?

Mopar4me

The GTX was basically more of an optioned car vs. the Road Runner. The GTX was sometimes referred to as the bankers hotrod. In 69 the 440 was standard with the only engine option being the 426 Hemi(for 1970 you can add the 440/6). The Road Runner came standard with the 335 H.P. 383 and the 426 optional no 440/4 was offered.  With the exception of the mid year 440 6 pack A12 package no other engines were available. So yes it's basically a trim/option's difference. I would think that the GTX would be more desirable than a standard Road Runner, but not over an A12 package car. Desirability basically goes with production numbers the more made the less desirable in the end it come's down to your personable preference and budget.

Troy

It's mostly trim and price. The GTX is the top of the line trim while the Roadrunner was a "budget" hot rod. They were aimed at totally different markets. On Plymouth the base model, stripped, "traveling salesman's" car was the Belvedere and it came standard with the Slant Six. Adding a few minor pieces (vinyl seats, time delay ignition light, etc) and a opening up few additional options (A/C, cruise, etc.) got a Satellite. A Sport Satellite came standard with the 318 and had optional vinyl roof, bucket seats, and console. A GTX came with the 440 standard along with heavy duty brakes, suspension and "luxury" amenities like wood grain trim, carpet, front and rear seat belts. The Roadrunner came standard with the 383 4bbl and HD suspension but noticeable was the lack of just about everything else (carpet and sound deadening for example).

It's hard to find a comparison in the Charger lineup so you have to use the Coronet (although Dodge cars, I believe, were already slightly more upscale and carried a slightly higher price). The Coronet 440 was the base model, Coronet 500 a little higher in the trim scale, R/T as the luxury performance version, and the Super Bee as the stripped performance model.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

68X426

Add to the physical differences the marketing differences, i.e. age and social factors as seen by Chrysler's marketing executives. 

Road Runners were aimed at the Youth market, and, as well documented, young men coming home from Vietnam. 

The GTX was for the Establishment male who had money and hadn't seen 'Nam.

I can't count how many Vets have shared stories with me about their Road Runners.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Ponch ®

Quote from: 68X426 on April 20, 2015, 02:25:58 PM

Add to the physical differences the marketing differences, i.e. age and social factors as seen by Chrysler's marketing executives. 

Road Runners were aimed at the Youth market, and, as well documented, young men coming home from Vietnam. 

I can't count how many Vets have shared stories with me about their Road Runners.

and the Satellite?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Drache

Quote from: Ponch ® on April 20, 2015, 04:15:51 PM

and the Satellite?

The teenagers who couldn't afford the road runner, the parents who bought their kid a car, or the husbands whose wives couldn't drive "muscle" and so where the "hot rod" look was there but not the performance.  :nana:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Drache on April 20, 2015, 05:32:58 PM

The teenagers who couldn't afford the road runner, the parents who bought their kid a car, or the husbands whose wives couldn't drive "muscle" and so where the "hot rod" look was there but not the performance.  :nana:

Considering you could get the same 383-4bbl four speed drive train in the SS as you could the RR (69 & 70), I'd say the SS was for the savvy buyer that wanted performance AND looks without cartoon stickers.

SS= JR GTX or nicer RR.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

twodko

Quote from: 68X426 on April 20, 2015, 02:25:58 PM

Word.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

68X426

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on April 20, 2015, 06:03:10 PM

I'd say the SS was for the savvy buyer that wanted performance AND looks without cartoon stickers.

SS= JR GTX or nicer RR.

I agree.  Especially with a convertible package with the Satellite, that was the smartest buy out there for 1968.

Of course I still love my RR.  A 'vert SS would just mean a bad sunburn for me.

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Sublime/Sixpack

Besides what has already been mentioned, the 383 powered Road Runner would have come with smaller torsion bars, and lesser leaf springs than the GTX.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Ponch ®

Quote from: Drache on April 20, 2015, 05:32:58 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on April 20, 2015, 04:15:51 PM

and the Satellite?

The teenagers who couldn't afford the road runner, the parents who bought their kid a car, or the husbands whose wives couldn't drive "muscle" and so where the "hot rod" look was there but not the performance.  :nana:

oh ok...could be worse.. a car for grandmas and hippies, like the gAy-Bodies.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

rt green

what you guys said about the high perf suspension on a GTX.  I agree. mine rides like a truck. a '68 truck.
third string oil changer

HPP

Satellites were for taxis.

68pplcharger

68X426

Quote from: HPP on April 22, 2015, 08:17:46 AM

Only 4 door models would be taxis (or cop cars for that matter), not Sport Satellites being discussed here. 

Somebody will check, but I think only Belvederes were sold to the taxi market.  The Satellite badge was an upgrade from the basic Belvedere.

:popcrn:

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Ponch ®

Quote from: 68X426 on April 22, 2015, 11:54:53 AM

Only 4 door models would be taxis (or cop cars for that matter), not Sport Satellites being discussed here. 

Somebody will check, but I think only Belvederes were sold to the taxi market.  The Satellite badge was an upgrade from the basic Belvedere.

Ok, serious question here....what was the deal with the Belvedere? Was it the base model coupe? Or the 4 door version of the body style? I ask because while I've seen many Satellites, Road Runners, GTX's on ebay, craigslist, and at car shows, I don't think I've ever seen a 2 door Belvedere. Did they only make very few of those? Were they all destroyed? Inquiring minds want to know.

here's a pic of my Satellite "Taxi", for reference.  ;D

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Ponch ® on April 22, 2015, 12:04:36 PM

Ok, serious question here....what was the deal with the Belvedere? Was it the base model coupe? Or the 4 door version of the body style? I ask because while I've seen many Satellites, Road Runners, GTX's on ebay, craigslist, and at car shows, I don't think I've ever seen a 2 door Belvedere. Did they only make very few of those? Were they all destroyed? Inquiring minds want to know.

The Belvedere name was used to designate the B body Plymouth line up and was the economy/low level name plate for the line.  Depending on the year... but generally....:

it was available in 2 door coupes, four door sedans, and wagons. It was for the cost conscious buyer that only wanted basic transportation with little frills. Most would be /6 or small V8 (273 or 318) cars. As they were low level trim and probably would not contain desirable driveline or trim parts for RRs, GTX's, SSs, I would bet most were parted. You do run across them once in while. Those that I have seen that survived are made into RR clones.

As the entry level model, it would be the base for the Taxi model.

Small numbers of two door Belvedere cop cars (RK21) were produced.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Sublime/Sixpack

I realize this thread is about the 1969 GTX and Road Runner. But since the name Belvedere was brought up and there has been some discussion about what a Belvedere really is, I thought I'd mention that in 1967 when the first GTX was introduced, it was a Belvedere GTX.  Just look at the side of the front fenders on a '67 GTX and you'll see the name Belvedere then the GTX below it.
I have to admit when I hear the term Belvedere I generally think of the stripper model Belvederes designated I or II.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Ponch ®

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on April 22, 2015, 05:08:59 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on April 22, 2015, 12:04:36 PM

The Belvedere name was used to designate the B body Plymouth line up and was the economy/low level name plate for the line.  Depending on the year... but generally....:

it was available in 2 door coupes, four door sedans, and wagons. It was for the cost conscious buyer that only wanted basic transportation with little frills. Most would be /6 or small V8 (273 or 318) cars. As they were low level trim and probably would not contain desirable driveline or trim parts for RRs, GTX's, SSs, I would bet most were parted. You do run across them once in while. Those that I have seen that survived are made into RR clones.

As the entry level model, it would be the base for the Taxi model.

Small numbers of two door Belvedere cop cars (RK21) were produced.

Thanks. :2thumbs: The parted out / RR clone theory makes the most sense. I sometimes get asked by non-car people (ie. old guys/ladies who remember them or people whose dad/mom/uncle "had one back in the day") if my car is a Belvedere, which made me wonder why if even those people know about it, I've never seen one (in person).

HPP

Ironically, Belvedere's were one of the top trim model offered through the 50s and it wasn't until the mid 60s when they suddenly became an entry level package.

Generally speaking during the muscle car era, the packages went something like Belvedere 1, Belvedere 2, Road Runner, Satellite, GTX. The intention of the Road Runner was to be a stripped down, big engined Belvedere that was in an entirely different market segment than GTX, which was an optioned out and dolled up Belvedere, and didn't have all the amenities that came with the Satellite. In a strange twist of fate, the popularity of the Road Runner made them a sales leader in the industry and led to many of them being optioned up to GTX price levels without the big 440 to go along with it.

FWIW, only the GTO and Chevelle sold more units than the Road Runners in '68 and '69.

68X426

Another "difference": Road Runner was Motor Trend Car of the Year for 1969. 

It wasn't the GTX.  Or Chevelle, Camaro, Mustang, GTO, Torino, Charger (!!!!), AMX, 442, etc etc.

:2thumbs:

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

F8-4life

https://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/4920202574.html

Ironically, Belvedere's were one of the top trim model offered through the 50s and it wasn't until the mid 60s when they suddenly became an entry level package.

In 1955-1958 the nameplate belvedere was the top of the line plymouth.
Through the natural process of maturity the manufactures top trim becomes the eventual bottome line trim through time.
Same with the chevrolet belair. In 1955 it was the tops but in 1969 it was the base trim. In 1975 it barely existed.