News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Road Runner 500?

Started by PettyMower, April 18, 2015, 06:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PettyMower

I had never thought of this before.

I wonder why Plymouth never built a 1969 Road Runner 500 (an aerodynamic Plymouth version of a Charger 500)?

Although the (2) brands competed against each other, I'm sure they still shared a lot of information.

Stevearino

I am not sure why either but I know that is why Petty defected to Ford. While everyone was going to get slicker Dodges he was told he would have to stick to his Plymouth. His response. "Nope".

cdr

the Plymouth grill was already flush & the rear window was not as bad as the charger  :shruggy:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

odcics2

Quote from: cdr on April 18, 2015, 07:41:49 PM
the Plymouth grill was already flush & the rear window was not as bad as the charger  :shruggy:

Bingo!  :cheers:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

wingcar

Besides, Plymouth had Petty, so who needed a special "Aero" car.  Well, I guess Petty did, since he jumped ship and went to Ford (for one year) and their Talladega "Aero" car.....  :o
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Aero426

I don't think Chrysler had much (if any) warning that Lee Petty was going to push the button and take the team over to Ford.   Plymouth had run well enough with Richard in 1968 and did not see the need for a special car.  

odcics2

How many super speedway wins did Petty get in 69 ?

ZIP!
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Ghoste

Also in the case of the Charger 500 vs the Road Runner, the Charger was at a considerable disadvantage with its inset grille and tunnel back C Pillars.  It needed the 500 aero car where the Plymouth did not.  It wasn't until the Daytona came out that Petty wanted a Dodge.

wingcar

While it's been written time and again about how the Superbird got Petty to return to Plymouth....it's only part of the story.   For while Petty wanted an "Aero" car to be completive...what was even more of an incentive was Chrysler's making the Petty shop the sole source for all racing parts from the factory from '71 onward.  That would prove to be worth more than a garage full of Superbirds.
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

69hurstsc

The defection had more to do with being the official distributor of parts than it did with running the Road Runner again in 1969. If you look at Petty's stats at the end of 1968 he had something like an average finish of 2.5.