News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Accumulator Spring Yes or No????

Started by Monziac, April 14, 2015, 11:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monziac

I have been reading a lot online as this is my first 727 rebuild ever.  Some say to leave the accumulator spring in on the rebuild even if installing a shift kit and others say to remove it for a more firm shift.  Some say it causes damage because it applies the bands to hard others say it does no damage.  My car is a 383 2Brl with a mild shift kit installed.  Not a HP monster, just a cruiser.  What are your thoughts here? 

Thanks,
Jon

John_Kunkel

Removing the spring does not improve the performance of the trans (no matter how many times the myth is repeated) and doing so can cause damage. Broken/bent Belleville springs in the rear clutch are common after removing the spring.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Monziac

Thank you John, you have been a lot of help to me so far.  When I took this tranny apart the sprag springs were all broken, the reverse band was chewed up horribly and the reverse drum had a large heat crack in it and there was no accumulator spring in it.  I dont want that same thing to happen again.  I bought a B&M shift kit and the instructions said to discard the accumulator spring and I questioned it because of what I just rebuilt. 

Thank you again. 

Jon

c00nhunterjoe

Thats because most people "THINK" neck snapping shifts is what you need. Well they are wrong. You want a fast, crisp shift.

Monziac

In my younger more radical days, neck snapping would have been fun. I am building a cruiser, just like my old Buick. I just want a crisp solid shift barely to chirp the tires if into the throttle.

Thanks,
Jon

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Monziac on April 14, 2015, 02:04:10 PM
I bought a B&M shift kit and the instructions said to discard the accumulator spring

That's reason enough to not use those POS kits. The Transgo kits instruct you to reinstall the spring if equipped.

The absence of an accumulator spring wouldn't cause any of the damage you found, the factory omitted the spring in some transmissions...why, I have no idea.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.