News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Champion Radiators

Started by Aussiemadonmopars, August 26, 2015, 07:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aussiemadonmopars

I'm not sure where to post this so if the mods want to move this then feel free.

I recently purchased a Champion radiator from a third party off E-Bay and had it sent to me in Australia. As it came out of the box I noticed a few things that were considered very minor flaws and overall I was still very happy with the product... until I tried a test fit in the car. I should of known really, something that says will fit a wide range of Mopar cars should fit my car as well, right? Well it didn't and I went back to the seller and told him about it. To his credit he has refunded me the cost of the shipping and offered to take the radiator back. I told him I would keep the item and get it modified here at my expense. He explained that it was a bit of a hit for him to take but he wanted to try and make things right. I have made a template of the original radiator that was original to the car and have offered to send that through in order that he doesn't have a problem in the future and I think hes going to take things up with Champion. My question is what other cars does the Charger radiator fit, is it just unique to Chargers or are they compatible with other A,B,C,E body vehicles? I have a 69 Charger big block car with a 22" radiator.

c00nhunterjoe

I know of several chargers with champion 2 row aluminum radiators with no issues. What didnt fit? Pictures?

Aussiemadonmopars

The radiator wasn't wide enough by about 3/4" to 1" and the mounting holes weren't even close. I won't be able to show in pics, I gave the radiator to a local shop here to modify to fit. The retailer is going to take it up with Champion I think and I will send them a template of my original radiator, I know its original to the car and was a perfect fit.

c00nhunterjoe

Sounds like you got the wrong part. Wouldnt be the 1st time ive got a part that was boxed wrong.

charger Downunder

Pretty sure there is two different sizes of radiator support panels.
[/quote]

Aussiemadonmopars

Yeah Mate, there is a 22" opening and the 26" opening in the radiator support panel, if that was the case the radiator would be way bigger if I got the wrong one but it is actually smaller. So is the Charger radiator compatible with say a Coronet or a Road Runner of say 66-70 vintage?

chargd72

My 26" 3 row fits just fine.  Stock was a 22".

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

ODZKing

22 and 26 inch supports are different

Aussiemadonmopars

Quote from: Aussiemadonmopars on August 27, 2015, 08:06:11 AM
Yeah Mate, there is a 22" opening and the 26" opening in the radiator support panel, if that was the case the radiator would be way bigger if I got the wrong one but it is actually smaller. So is the Charger radiator compatible with say a Coronet or a Road Runner of say 66-70 vintage?
What I meant to say was that there is two different radiator support panels for these cars (its quite easy to change to the bigger one if you need to but I didn't) and accordingly the different size radiator applies. I asked champion for the 22" radiator and that's what they gave me and it wasn't wide enough by 3/4" to 1", so I know I have their 22" version. What other cars have the same radiator bolt pattern as the Charger?

mopar0166

Had zero issues with my 26" 4 row , great rad and great value

Aussiemadonmopars

Is it possible that I bought a fake Champion radiator?

1974dodgecharger

3rd party?  Usually it's 2nd party right? I ordered 2 champion radiators from different vendors and they drop ship them from champion so it comes straight from champion. 

Aussiemadonmopars

Well the radiator is in now so that's another job done. I'm only out of pocket by about $40 US for the mistake so I'm relatively happy. The ebay seller refunded my shipping and that nearly covered the cost of the new mounts that were welded on.  :2thumbs:

JoeAmato

I just put a Champion 26" 3-row in my 1970 Charger 500 no problem. Bought it from Classic Industries..was like $250.00 or so. Lowered the temperature at least 40 degrees. Got a Milodon 160 thermostat and March Performance pulley system and the car is running 170-180 degrees max, single 16" electric fan. :icon_smile_cool: Mopar or NoCar.

Aussiemadonmopars

The thing is, I still don't know now if the radiator was built with the wrong mounting holes in the first place or was it built to fit another Mopar. As it was, I gave the workshop here my old radiator here to use a template for the new holes and they still got it wrong, I had to re-size one of the holes as it was about half a hole out. I hate being d***ed around but it's all good now and it sounds like Champion are a good product.