News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Good shops in Oregon to possibly help finish my '69

Started by UH60L, March 26, 2015, 03:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UH60L

So, after the long road of hard luck and bankrutcy, I am out of the hole and actually will, this summer, have some money to spend on my car for the first time in 4 years.  Probelm is,  now I look at the car and get really overwhelmed/frustrated by what all needs to be done, and not knowing how to do all of it.

I'm kind of thinking about having a shop get the car most of the way done, or at least to the point of being driveable.

It's a '69, the body and paint is done (mostly, needs some minor things fixed...antenna hole cut, rear bumper support mounts "adjusted").  I have a brand new painless wiring kit laying in it but nothign has really been done yet.  It's got relatively new wheels and tires.  The 440 and 727 auto are in the car but not completely installed, missing hardware, linkage etc etc.  Interior needs every panel, headliner, carpet.  Seats need to be repiared, re-foamed, and recovered.  Need to repair or replace the headlight support as well as the grille assembly.  I have new bumpers.  I have all new glass, but some side window parts are missing/broken.... etc etc etc.  I just don't know exactly what I need or how some of it goes back together, as I didn't take it apart...

Anyway, can anyone recommend a reputable/knowledgeable shop in Western Oregon?  I am in Salem.  Although I'm sure GYC would do it, I doubt I could afford it, or want to wait that long.  The poor car has been sitting since 2009, it's hard to see it sit there when I could be driving it.

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

472 R/T SE

Daytona Dane is down your way.  I wonder if his son does this sort of work?

I have several friends up here in the Portland/Vancouver area.  If I had the room, I'd most likely do it for free.  It'd keep me busy and you can't put a monetary value on that. 

Homerr

Are you having a mental hurdle getting going on the car, or is it beyond your abilities?

Seems like either could be tackled by befriending a few fellow Mopar guys and having a few work parties or swap for work on their projects. 

Or if you now have more time than money that's a whole 'nother problem.

bull

Your best bet for a shop that can do it all is Smith Bros. Restoration, assuming they are still at it. They recently did a General Lee and a 67 Barracuda so I believe they're still doing restorations. They are in Washington north of Hood River.

There's also North American Muscle Cars in Milwaukee which is a full service shop. They do pretty good work.

And don't forget Graveyard Cars.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bill440rt on March 26, 2015, 06:25:15 PM
I'm thinking Charger-Bodie might chime in.  :2thumbs:

It would be an honor, but I'm a looong ways away from Oregon. Not that it couldn't be shipped.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bill440rt

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on March 27, 2015, 08:10:09 PM
Quote from: bill440rt on March 26, 2015, 06:25:15 PM
I'm thinking Charger-Bodie might chime in.  :2thumbs:

It would be an honor, but I'm a looong ways away from Oregon. Not that it couldn't be shipped.

Right, but you were the first person I thought of with mad skills to get it back together.  :cheers:  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

UH60L

It's not so much a mental block as it is not knowing how to put a lot  of it back together and wanting to not screw it up.  The body shop took several things apart and just gave me boxes of broken or missing parts back (aft side window mechanisms...).

I actually know "Daytona Dane", he's a good guy, does great work.  I doubt he'd want to finish my car for me though.

I've got some money now, I even have a little time here and there.  I just get frustrated and have a hard time getting motivated.  I get home from work these days and I'm tired and don't have the energy to work on my car (or do much of anything...).  That combined with wanting it to actually work when it's done...

I forgot about smith brothers.  They're in Washington right?

squeakfinder

I was also going to suggest the Smith Bros. Bought a 741 suregrip from James a long time ago. From what I've heard he's pretty anal about how things go back together. There in Appleton.

http://www.smithbrosrestorations.com/contact.php   
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

bull

Jamey and Bobby are great. Very honest, hard working and full of good information. I wish I would have contacted them earlier in my restoration process but they still helped me with the lion's share of my interior work among other things. They helped me with the engine break-in too:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-0UoihHkMkw

UH60L

Thanks for the info, guys. 

I talked to Jamey from Smith Brothers.  He seems like a good guy.  We're gonna get together at my palce hopefully in the next couple of weeks and get an idea of what they think it would take to finish it up.

miamivice