News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Built vs. Bought

Started by JB400, April 02, 2015, 11:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RallyeMike

Awwwww...... the poor guy's customers are sad because the wrench-turning crowd is not showering them with accolades for his work :'( :'( :'(  

People have opinions and are entitled to their prejudices and cliques. Grow some balls and get over it. It's hard to believe this guy builds bikes and isn't instead a phone solicitor for Greenpeace or something equally as squishy.

I'd suggest that the real problem is that pretentious whiners who are out to impress everyone rather than because they love bikes and riding have inundated the hobby. How about we all come together to work on that one?

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

1974dodgecharger

It's a dumb trend in my eyes because when people see others people's work they say, oh he has money he didn't even touch that car to, etc.......the built not bought fan boys also say they do their own custom shit.  For example on Facebook theres a page called built not bought.  Some guy tried to say he hand built his 2nd gen charger from scratch and I browsed through his page and asked about the AMD bumpers he said he hand made them........along with all the sheet metal all hand made by him.

They don't believe in buying things.....but when asked how did buy buy those Pistons and rods they say all hand made.......wtf.

73rallye440magnum

I've always enjoyed observing motorcycle culture.

Many participants have convinced themselves that through the acquisition of a late model Harley and a new leather jacket they somehow are part of a unique crowd/brand and seasoned biker veteran.

I get such a kick out of this. It's all about the image. Some of the most non-conforming individuals I know have been duped into this same crowd of thinking they are unique but without actually performing or developing anything even remotely uncommon. Stock motorcycle, new gear, tough attitude. It's difficult not to call them out on it.  :hah:

It's important to acknowledge two things-

1) I want a motorcylce. It won't be a Harley. Or new. Or stock.
2) Not everyone is capable of building or modifying their own bike, and it is not fair to ridicule them. I don't want to ridicule capability, but I do find humor in the perception, image, and faux attitude that many of them represent.
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

DixieRestoParts

Quote from: 73rallye440magnum on April 03, 2015, 07:19:25 AM
I've always enjoyed observing motorcycle culture.

Many participants have convinced themselves that through the acquisition of a late model Harley and a new leather jacket they somehow are part of a unique crowd/brand and seasoned biker veteran.

I get such a kick out of this. It's all about the image. Some of the most non-conforming individuals I know have been duped into this same crowd of thinking they are unique but without actually performing or developing anything even remotely uncommon. Stock motorcycle, new gear, tough attitude. It's difficult not to call them out on it.  :hah:

Yeah, I get a kick out of this too. I'm not a biker, but I've known a few and these guys are posers. They think they can buy "cool". But, at the end of the day, it's these guys that keep people employed by buying bikes, clothing, accessories, etc. 

I also think this applies to muscle cars. Guys with money, just buy a done car and act like they know everything about that car and cars in general when they never turned a wrench. I don't think there's anything wrong with buying a done car, just don't act like you taught Ronnie Sox how to drive and wrench. 
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

73rallye440magnum

I'm not one to condone success. We need more succesful people to keep bike (and car/truck) designers and builders busy with fresh talent and ideas.

The 'statement type' are comical to observe though!
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

cdr

You mean I'm not cool  :'(  lmbo
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Lennard

Those people are called... Wannabes.

myk

Built, bought, who gives a flying frak.  Does it really matter? 

Charger-Bodie

The way I look at it :

1 if you did most of the build yourself , you should be proud of the work.

2. If you bought it or paid to have it built you should be proud of the work you did to earn the money to achieve it . And be proud of the build as an accomplishment.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

DixieRestoParts

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on April 04, 2015, 08:35:36 AM
The way I look at it :

2. If you bought it or paid to have it built you should be proud of the work you did to earn the money to achieve it . And be proud of the build as an accomplishment.

Great point.  :2thumbs:
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

myk

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on April 04, 2015, 08:35:36 AM
The way I look at it :

EXACTLY.  Buyers still had to have some sort of skill to build the funds to buy the whatever...

Green71R/T

At what point is a project bought not built?  On my Belvedere I paid others to do bodywork,paint,engine,transmission,and seats. So is it a bought car?  Does it really matter as long as I don't try to pass off others' efforts as my own? I feel there is a place for bought projects because some people have the resources to bring a project to fruition but do not necessarily have the time,skill,tools,space or other reasons but still want to be part of the hobby. Some builders do not have the financial resources to complete their dreams without a patron.

69wannabe

Quote from: Lennard on April 04, 2015, 01:39:54 AM
Those people are called... Wannabes.

Careful with that wannabe line, LOL!!! It's like said above if you buy a car that is ready to turn key and drive then you pretend that you are the one that build any or all of the car then that's just sad and it will come back to haunt you. I do mechanic work for a living (on fork lifts and material handling equipment) but started out on cars and trucks and I have done alot of my own work on my charger. Rebuilt several engines and I helped a guy go through the four speed tranny and set up my shifter,I rebuilt the front end completely and done the disc brake conversion and put new torsion bars and leaf springs on the car and new gas tank and new fuel line from front to back. Repaired wiring several times and I paid to get my chunk set up but I did swap it out from the 3.23 to the 3.55 chunk. No I didn't build it from scratch but I am proud of the work that I can do on it. My best bud being a great body guy did the panel work and painted the car for me but I did show up every time he was working on it to either hand him whatever he needed or grind down welds or whatever I could do to help. I did learn alot doing the body work with him but I would never tackle anything like that myself. Grungy engine work and stuff like that I am pretty good at but body work I am just good to help and not head up the project.

HeavyFuel

Stopped at the local watering hole for a bump with the mrs a couple days ago.  With the car....nice view of it out the windows so I can keep and eye out.

A couple old gents asked what year, nice car, etc....   They asked if I restored it myself and I responded with "I did what I could".  

The conversation was light and friendly...back and forth. They commented on the magnums...said they used to know a guy with them on a RR.  I offered a little history about the factory wheels options,  and they said that "I suppose you learn a lot about the car putting it together yourself"     "Yeah", I responded with a chuckle.

You can't buy that feeling.    :icon_smile_big:  

That being said, not everyone is a mechanic (I barely get by) and if you want to buy your stuff done....great.

Brock Lee

At this stage, I would rather buy something someone else had "built". Let them take the loss. The hard work is done, tweaking it to where I want it will be cheaper in the long run.

Bandit72

If I had the space and endless amounts of time and money that some people tend to have then I would love to build all my own toys...HOWEVER. Here in the real world with work and a family and bills and a very mediocre garage (I'm more in the shade tree mechanic category) I am pretty content with buying almost done toys and adding my own touches to things. I have 2 motorcycles, my main one being a 2003 Yamaha roadstar and I love it, I've tried really hard to make it look as "old school" as possible and I am quickly getting there, the bike has great lines and is extremely reliable but I always catch grief because it's a "wanna be Harley"  :shruggy: Doesn't bother me a bit. My other bike BTW is a shovelhead that proceeds to rattle itself to bits and leaks oil all over my floor.
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

RallyeMike

There is nothing wrong with buying in. These people support the bike or car hobby as much (in my opinion - more!) than builders do. It takes all of us to keep the hobby strong.

Its just that when someone like the author of this article whines that his buyers are not being welcomed as long-lost brothers by the builder crowd..... well, that does not evoke much sympathy in anyone. In fact, I think it only strengthens a builder's negative stereotype of the typical buyer.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

hatersaurusrex

This is even worse in the Jeep community.   Every 22 year old with an old piece of crap 1987 Jeep Cherokee who slaps a lift kit on it then plastidips it some godawful green color goes around hollering 'Real Jeeps are Built not Bought'

So... did you start with a smelter and a pile of ore, or...?
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

myk

Lol I like that.  Unless you actually stamped the sheet metal, formed the frame in a mold and started from there, well then technically most hobbyists are buyers as well...

stripedelete

:yesnod:   I picture some of the more outspoken "build" advocates outback vulcanizing rubber.

elanmars

I wish I knew more, but I just don't have the space to work on either of my cars, the time to learn (I don't know where to start? A book? I'm a quick learner/better at learning by doing), nor the money to buy tools. It helps I have a good friend that does excellent work at great discount, but still...the only family I have that know about cars and could teach me, live several states away. I know very little, and I've learned a few things on my own no problem, but damn it would be nice to have that know how, or have grown up being taught simple things, and don't have to wait on things to be worked on. Good thing I have a lot of patience. Seems like most guys that know how to do a lot on their own, got started as kids with family members showing them, or as teens had friends that could teach them or learn with. I didn't get one of these until I was 25, while full time at school, working two jobs, and with a baby on the way. Last thing I wanted to do was mess up anything further, especially since I use these cars not as fun weekend cars, not as toys, not as trailer queens, but I drive them on the regular. These are my grocery getters. I didn't get either one to sit in a garage.

1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

DAY CLONA

I have no issues with the "bought or built" scenario....what does erk me however is the assclown who "bought", then pulls the "I built it" charade to boost his ego/chest thumping

el dub

If you build it you know what you have. You buy it you know only what you are told
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

triple_green

I don't have very good mechanical skills, but it is amazing how much you can still do yourself, it is just time consuming. I did get help painting my car, because I couldn't believe how expensive it was to pay someone. No one is going to mistake my paint job for a professional paint job, but it is i good enough for a driver and I am not afraid to drive it anywhere.

All that being said next time I think I am going to buy a car done and pay $30K for something someone has $70K into.

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

69wannabe

Quote from: el dub on April 18, 2015, 09:59:16 AM
If you build it you know what you have. You buy it you know only what you are told

This is very true, anybody can feed you a line of crap and say everything is brand new on the car!! Guy recently bought a 69 mustang and called me with engine problem's. Said it ran ok but was noisy. Kinda sounded like valve train trouble but it was hard to tell. He was told it was completely rebuilt 351W. I got talked into pulling it apart and it had a pretty new eddy performer intake and a new distributor and someone had put a new timing chain set in it which the bolt holding the top gear to the cam had fallen out and that wound up being the noise and that also explains the electric fuel pump that looked like it was thrown on it since the cam bolt actually holds the fuel pump eccentric tight. The rest of the engine had never been apart. Still had 69 on the main bearings with the fomoco logo on them. He never told me what he paid for the car but he now has about 3 more grand in an engine overhaul and the bill is still climbing. At this point I wouldn't want to try and build another car myself and would rather by a nice one but be careful what people tell you especially what they can't prove and what you can't see. So many crook's out there these days trying to sell a $15,000 car as a 30,000 car.

myk

Quote from: triple_green on April 18, 2015, 12:11:20 PM
I don't have very good mechanical skills, but it is amazing how much you can still do yourself, it is just time consuming. I did get help painting my car, because I couldn't believe how expensive it was to pay someone. No one is going to mistake my paint job for a professional paint job, but it is i good enough for a driver and I am not afraid to drive it anywhere.

All that being said next time I think I am going to buy a car done and pay $30K for something someone has $70K into.

3X

Friend and I painted my car in a garage.  No way it'll ever be a show car but the cost to get a show quality paint job is worth more than I make in a year.  We do what we can, and be thankful for what we have.  If someone has a problem with what we do, well....they're the one with the problem, not us...

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: myk on April 19, 2015, 06:16:35 AM
Quote from: triple_green on April 18, 2015, 12:11:20 PM

3X

Friend and I painted my car in a garage.  No way it'll ever be a show car but the cost to get a show quality paint job is worth more than I make in a year.  We do what we can, and be thankful for what we have.  If someone has a problem with what we do, well....they're the one with the problem, not us...

Dude if your goal is to drive it (and you obviously do) then a show quality paint job is a waste of money and you'll always be flipping worried about scratching it, hitting rocks on the highway, etc.   I'm building a driver - a very fast one.  I want to mash the right pedal and see how hard it makes me smile.   Everything else is just academics and snobby posturing to me.

Have a show quality low-numbers/matching car that's perfect and lives on a trailer?  That's great - I bet I'll have more fun beating on my crappy hemi XP car than you will staring at your true Hemi Daytona in the garage at 1AM.   Although staring at them is really fun too :)
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

myk

Lol, I have to wonder if my outlook would change if I had a car with a more desired pedigree.  I dunno.  It's easier to just worry about my own path... :shruggy:

Mike DC

:Twocents:

There is room in this hobby for all types of builds.  I'm glad there are perfect show-quality cars being preserved, and I'm glad there are 318 VIN cars with crate Hemis getting the crap beat out of them on public roads. 

303 Mopar

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 20, 2015, 09:14:47 AM
:Twocents:
There is room in this hobby for all types of builds.  I'm glad there are perfect show-quality cars being preserved, and I'm glad there are 318 VIN cars with crate Hemis getting the crap beat out of them on public roads. 

:iagree:  Everyone has their own personal goals, budget, and purpose.  The common thing is among all of us is that we love these cars!  :2thumbs:
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible