News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Antifreeze seeping through heater hoses?

Started by 71 SE3834V, April 03, 2015, 09:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 SE3834V

My car has been in storage since mid November. All was good when it was put away.
Went over to take a couple of pics today for someone and looked around the engine bay. Noticed 3 out of 4 heater hoses were shiny and sticky. What the hell! These are Gates Premium 5/8" hoses that were replaced in 7/2013 with new Prestone antifreeze. Engine was rebuilt last fall and new antifreeze was installed once again at that time.
Strange the 1/2" hose that runs to the valve is dry as a bone. It's not a Gates but says "Standard Heater Hose" on it and it was one that I've had in a box for who knows how long. Neither of the new Gates radiator hoses I installed at the same time are showing any problems.
What the heck is going on? The nasty 40 yr old hoses I pulled off weren't doing this.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

Pete in NH

Hi Jeff,

I just went and looked at the Gates heater hoses I put on my 383 last spring. I don't see any signs of what you are seeing with yours. The antifreeze I'm using is NAPA extended life plain old green antifreeze.

ACUDANUT

Could be a little oil spitting off your Valve cover vent.

71 SE3834V

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 04, 2015, 09:07:52 AM
Could be a little oil spitting off your Valve cover vent.

Nope. No oil anywhere. Oil don't smell like this did. Engine hasn't run since Nov. and hoses were dry at that time. When looking at the hoses the shiny/stickiness ends where the hoses end. No signs of leaking at the connections. No dripping, just shiny/sticky hoses which goes all the way to the water pump housing and like I said, just the Gate 5/8" hose not the Standard brand 1/2" hose.

71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

71 SE3834V

Quote from: Pete in NH on April 04, 2015, 06:44:12 AM
Hi Jeff,

I just went and looked at the Gates heater hoses I put on my 383 last spring. I don't see any signs of what you are seeing with yours. The antifreeze I'm using is NAPA extended life plain old green antifreeze.

Ok, looking at receipts I was slightly mistaken on the info. I installed Prestone when I replaced hoses during a timing chain replacement in 2013. Last fall the engine was rebuilt, re-cored radiator, etc. and I installed Peak Long Life antifreeze.
Shouldn't matter. Hoses are suppose to keep in the fluid. I'm so tired of having to replace faulty new parts.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

tan top

I had this , with heater hoses when I first got my charger  ,  ( orange parts store cut to length hoses were on it , looked pretty new )  kept looking at them & wiping them down  :shruggy: ,WTF ,  if i bent them in half while still connected into cooling system , little pin holes of coolent would seep out !!  weird , never seen that since anywhere or heard about it till  now in this thread !
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

polywideblock

have you tried contacting gates it could be there was a fault in manufacture

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

71 SE3834V

Quote from: polywideblock on April 04, 2015, 06:15:12 PM
have you tried contacting gates it could be there was a fault in manufacture

Just found out about it yesterday. I was planning on driving the car up to the store to show them as soon as it comes out of storage but that will probably be a few weeks yet. Gotta get a master cylinder installed before it can be driven.  Tried 2 new ones during the engine bay renovations last fall but both would leak from the cap/cover. Ugh! Need to try a different brand so I left it off all winter. Too cold to deal with it.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

ACUDANUT

Just A thought. I disconnected, both a/c and heater hoses.  I never drive them in hot/cold temps outside.

GOTWING

The heater hoses on the superbird did this after sitting all winter... I had antifreeze all over the floor. All hoses were new in 2005. :eek2:

71 SE3834V

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 05, 2015, 10:16:22 AM
Just A thought. I disconnected, both a/c and heater hoses.  I never drive them in hot/cold temps outside.

Considering the day I stored the car last fall was in November and snow flurries were flying I don't think that's an option.  :shruggy:
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V