News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

power steering fix

Started by fireguyfire, May 03, 2015, 11:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireguyfire

Lost my power steering a couple of days ago, and had a look at it today. The press on pulley on my power steering pump is free wheeling on the shaft. The pump still turns well by hand but obviously the pulley pulled off enough to lose enough friction to spin the shaft. I am going to pull the pump tomorrow, but I am guessing with the pulley spinning on the shaft it has worn the inside of the pulley a bit, and probably wont press back on well enough.
What are my options to repair this? Can I pin the pulley onto the shaft, or put a tack weld or 2 on the end of the shaft where it comes through the center of the pulley?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'69 Sweptline Adventurer pickup
'56 Dodge Regent

fireguyfire

Anybody have any suggestions on how to deal with this?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'69 Sweptline Adventurer pickup
'56 Dodge Regent

Hard Charger

there are 2 types of pumps that could have been used, Federal or Saginaw.

I have seen different pulleys that could have been used. press-on or a bolt-in with a keyway I think. it would be obvious what you have.

randy73

Quote from: Hard Charger on May 06, 2015, 02:43:35 PM
there are 2 types of pumps that could have been used, Federal or Saginaw.

I have seen different pulleys that could have been used. press-on or a bolt-in with a keyway I think. it would be obvious what you have.

I thought there were two different steering boxes (Federal and Saginaw), but only one pump manufacture and different pulleys for different applications, i.e. A/C vs no A/C, Charger vs coronet, etc...

OP, you need a new pump and pulley to fix it right or drill a hole through the pulley and drive shaft and put a pin in there or bolt or weld, but this would probably not hold for to long.

Either way, good luck. I got my pulley from BPE,