News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 Charger hood clearance for CH4B? It runs

Started by b5blue, March 22, 2015, 09:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

Swapping out to a CH4B intake with a Proform 750 Street Series vacuum secondary carb using a factory dual snorkel air cleaner. I'd like to add an insulator under the carb but the stacked height looks kinda high sitting on the shelf?
 Has anyone run something similar with any issues?    

Nickrc3

Neal, I've got your planned setup on my 69' w/ unsilenced air cleaner and hood pad. No clearance issues with a 1/2" phenolic insulator.
I can't imagine the 70' hood sitting closer to the engine than the 68-69 series, however, that snorkel-style air cleaner doesn't appear to drop down that much.
Without pulling the stock intake off, temporarily fit the new carb w/ aircleaner and test with some 1" thick foam resting of the air cleaner lid (I applied baby powder to the top of the foam, so to leave a visual impression on the hood web upon closing.
I don't believe the height of the CH6B exceeds stock by more than 1/2".

BSB67

Measure the clearance that you have now.

The CH4B is 0.4" taller than the factory cast iron intake.  I'm pretty sure the carb heights are the same.  I think you can get a phenolic spacer that is 0.25"

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

b5blue

I used 1/2" foam on top of the setup while "mocked up" on the car and closed the hood. No dents in the foam so I've ordered a 1/2" spacer and will try the test again.  :2thumbs:

john108

Does anyone know the A(front) and B(rear) height dimensions for a 440 4-barrel stock Intake Manifold?

BSB67

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

b5blue

When my 1/2 spacer gets in I'll mock up and check everything, take pics and get measurements. It may help others.  :scratchchin:

john108

Thank you BSB67.
I am also concerned with hood clearance with a 1 inch spacer. 
I see that members have performer RPM intakes with 1/2 spacers and it fits.
I have a holley SD, 1 inch spacer, with a 1.25 drop air cleaner.
I am just collecting data to see if I have to replace the spacer with a 1/2 in.

BSB67

Quote from: john108 on April 15, 2015, 11:13:23 AM
Thank you BSB67.
I am also concerned with hood clearance with a 1 inch spacer. 
I see that members have performer RPM intakes with 1/2 spacers and it fits.
I have a holley SD, 1 inch spacer, with a 1.25 drop air cleaner.
I am just collecting data to see if I have to replace the spacer with a 1/2 in.

My manifold is as tall as the RPM and have a spacer that is about a 1/2" as well.  It took some work to get it all to fit, so, it is not necessarily easy in my book.  I did get it to work with the stock air cleaner too.   No matter what air cleaner you buy, at some point the carb is just too close to the hood to make it work.  Depending on the lid style, you could restrict flow into the carb.  K&N has air filter elements in 1/4" height increments that can help to get it exactly where you want it.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

b5blue

Ch4B with 1/2 spacer:
Front
Rear
Linkages: Throttle cable too low and short? Kick down rod off 6BBL okay.

b5blue

Side view across fenders with factory type dual snorkel on Proform 750 mounted to CH4B with 1/2" spacer.
Hood up:
Hood down:

b5blue

Next I'll build up some putty ridges and slam the hood shut to get a detailed imprint of clearances. Then I've got to sort out throttle cable being short and low. (Help?)  :scratchchin:

b5blue

To keep things moving along I found Rick E. has correct bracket stuff on eBay. Ordered with fastest shipping get things buttoned up.  :o

b5blue

Rick said use the Lokar cable kickdown. One Lokar KD 2727HT ordered from JEGS. Crap, I'm racking up extra "expedited" shipping big time!  :eek2: Looks like aluminum heads are gonna have to wait.  :lol:
Brackets about 109.00 with extra shipping.
Lokar about 120.00 with extra shipping. 

BSB67

Quote from: b5blue on April 18, 2015, 11:06:55 AM
Rick said use the Lokar cable kickdown. One Lokar KD 2727HT ordered from JEGS. Crap, I'm racking up extra "expedited" shipping big time!  :eek2: Looks like aluminum heads are gonna have to wait.  :lol:
Brackets about 109.00 with extra shipping.
Lokar about 120.00 with extra shipping. 

FWIW, I have never purchased any kick down stuff.  I've always been able to make the factory linkage work.  Sometimes you can get the bracket to work as well.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

BSB67

I think the AR Engineering bracket w/ kick down attachment will work, and it is only $36. and you can keep your linkage  :shruggy:

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

b5blue

Thanks for the reply, I'll see what comes from Rick. He is a vendor for AR Eng. so it may be the one you mention:
http://arengineering.com/products/440-with-kickdown-pivot
  Rick pointed out for a stock 727, CH4B w 1/2" spacer the geometry for the linkage would be off. After rerouting cooler lines and having the 727 rebuilt to stock spec as part of installing the Winter's Sidewinder shifter I've grown to expect the worse for any modification.
  Right now I have next week to finish, get the car up and running to get alignment set from disk swap and adding staggered offset UCA bushings with adjustable strut rods.

BSB67

Quote from: b5blue on April 18, 2015, 04:45:09 PM
   He is a vendor for AR Eng. so it may be the one you mention:
http://arengineering.com/products/440-with-kickdown-pivot
  Rick pointed out for a stock 727, CH4B w 1/2" spacer the geometry for the linkage would be off. After rerouting cooler lines and having the 727 rebuilt to stock spec as part of installing the Winter's Sidewinder shifter I've grown to expect the worse for any modification.

Looks like the bracket.  Why is it $109?

Couple of bell cranks and rods.  Not hard to get right.  There was a time when none of this stuff was available and you just used a little ingenuity to figure it out.  Now if you can't buy it from Summit, I guess it can't be done.  That Bracket will allow the factory linkage to work properly.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

b5blue

Thanks again, 109 covered 2 day shipping for a complete 69.00 kit not just a bracket.  I've got zero time to fart with fabrication just to save a few bucks after all the overhauling done in the last year. The car has given me 20 years of faithful service and owes me nothing. Trust me if this crap gives me any worries I'll be ordering that bracket on your trusted opinion and pay extra shipping on it to be here fast.  :2thumbs:
  I started this topic trying to find out what was needed, now it will cover details for anyone later who searches CH4B like I did before starting this. I still wonder if the throttle cable is going to be long enough, not certain exactly what kickdown I have or how this Lokar cable integrates with the carb? The Charger was a drag raced car trailer-ed to the strip for years when I bought it. Back then I had many friends with rooms full of extra parts and advise/guidance. We cobbled together what it took to put the car back on the road and I continued cobbling and patching as needed up until last year. Now it's time to set things up and sort out the last few things so I can just enjoy driving. (Again)     

moparsr2fast

That Lokar kit will solve both the kickdown and throttle cable travel issues Neal. Very well engineered product.  :2thumbs:
Bob

70 Charger 500
     2001 Ram 2500 Sport
        2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  2006 Dodge Charger Daytona

myk

Quote from: b5blue on April 18, 2015, 07:11:21 PM

I started this topic trying to find out what was needed, now it will cover details for anyone later who searches CH4B like I did before starting this.    

And I thank you for that.  I just got a CH4B myself and will install it soon.  BTW what spacers are everyone using?

b5blue

I got a cheapo spacer off ebay for fitment/setup, later I'll get a Jomar they look best?  :scratchchin:

myk

Quote from: b5blue on April 19, 2015, 09:05:36 AM
I got a cheapo spacer off ebay for fitment/setup, later I'll get a Jomar they look best?  :scratchchin:

I just bought a 1/2" phenolic from....*ahem* Summit.  I've ignored the boiling fuel issue long enough.  Although I have to wonder: did these cars have fuel boiling issues and need spacers when they were new?

b5blue