News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

U code valve covers

Started by Tri-Poised, March 21, 2015, 08:35:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tri-Poised

Trying to restore my numbers matching motor for my 440 4v Superbird.  I don't have the original valve covers that came with it.  Is there anything special about them on a Superbird?  Does anybody know of any part numbers?  I just want to make sure I get everything right.

Thanks,
Steve

FJ5WING

Nothing special about 440 valve covers, just be sure to get 1970-1971 version.

Because of the 70-71 only model run they are pricey in good condition.

they are reproduced but I dont have confirmation on the quality.  GOOD LUCK!
wingless now, but still around.

6bblgt

They are '70 & early '71 only - c-body driver's side has a couple of tabs on it for the #7 plug wire that are not needed.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Tri-Poised on March 21, 2015, 08:35:18 AM
Trying to restore my numbers matching motor for my 440 4v Superbird.  I don't have the original valve covers that came with it.  Is there anything special about them on a Superbird?  Does anybody know of any part numbers?  I just want to make sure I get everything right.

Thanks,
Steve

70 440 valve covers are a one year only deal, and the asking prices reflect that! if you want/need originals, otherwise order a set from AMD directly, avoid Ebay sales as they may be pushing off the initial run of AMD covers, they have since been retooled, fit/finish is now as original

Mike

hemi68charger

Quote from: DAY CLONA on March 21, 2015, 12:44:22 PM

70 440 valve covers are a one year only deal, and the asking prices reflect that! if you want/need originals, otherwise order a set from AMD directly, avoid Ebay sales as they may be pushing off the initial run of AMD covers, they have since been retooled, fit/finish is now as original

Mike

:2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

talkiemopar

Are they the same for a 6 pac.  Rick

Tri-Poised

62 Max

What you need,same as 6pk.

talkiemopar

hemi68charger

Quote from: talkiemopar on March 21, 2015, 03:06:02 PM

Wouldn't the 383 HP's be the same? Big block HP was big block HP
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

held1823

70 440 valve covers are a one year only deal, and the asking prices reflect that!

how crazy are the prices on the 1970 style?

does anyone have a link to a tutorial or perhaps side by side photos showing the various years/styles?
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

62 Max

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 22, 2015, 08:38:03 AM
Quote from: talkiemopar on March 21, 2015, 03:06:02 PM

Wouldn't the 383 HP's be the same? Big block HP was big block HP

Yes they would .

DAY CLONA

Quote from: held1823 on March 22, 2015, 09:33:12 AM
70 440 valve covers are a one year only deal, and the asking prices reflect that!

how crazy are the prices on the 1970 style?

does anyone have a link to a tutorial or perhaps side by side photos showing the various years/styles?

I've seen prices as high as $800-$1000 for NOS when they pop up, $250-$500 is the norm for used, but I refuse to pay those prices for a set of factory plain Jane valve covers, that's HEMI valve cover $$$ IMHO, if I was to drop a few hundred for 440 valve covers, they had better be brand new, needing no stripping, dent removal, cleaning, etc...you'd be surprised the number of lipsticked pig BONDO'd up/painted covers asking big bucks on the market, after you buy them, then you find out all the work needed to correct them...AMD is a saving grace, get them before they disappear from the market  :Twocents:

DAY CLONA

I can't do the link for you, but if you go to Tony's Parts.com (Tony D'Agostino) he has a PDF page set up on his site that shows all the Mopar valve covers over the years

Mike

A383Wing

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

6bblgt

there are early VS. late '70 covers
&
b/e-body VS. c-body covers

The #7 plug wire tabs can be removed, but you'll have to deal with the remnants of the spot weld.  There are also longer wire harness tabs on the intake side of the passenger side valve cover, I don't know if these are c-body, A/C, or other related?  

maxwellwedge

I have seen both styles on original 70 vehicles as well. Is it an early/late thing or a vendor thing? Then there were the parts department ones that weren't right.