News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

TEST DROVE a 2015' Ram Eco Diesel today.

Started by Steve P., March 20, 2015, 06:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve P.

We just got back from our local Ram Dealer and I am very impressed with the new Eco Diesel truck with 8-speed tranny. I am not, however, impressed with the price. And after what Ford had to tell me they thought my old 02' F-250 SDSC Lariat is worth, I think I will keep the old girl..

I have a leak, (first ever) with this truck. They spotted a wet looking pumpkin and told me they were dropping their original quote by ((( 1,100 ))) bucks.. I grabbed my keys off the salesman's desk while laughing at the new offer.. I have not looked it up yet, but I figure the pinion seal is about 6-8 bucks.. And what, 20 minutes to change out?? ON THE GROUND!!

This truck is in GOOD to VERY GOOD condition. 106K on the clock and never been hurt. Are they NUTS!!!!! Ram offered much more, but at 50K for the new truck that I want, I just cannot afford it.  :'(
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

lukedukem

Does your f250 have the 7.3 diesel? Is it 4x4

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Steve P.

No, it has a V-10.   10.5 MPG around town and about 15.5 - 16 Hiway. On straight gas it is about 1 mpg better.

Rear wheel drive...

I must say that it totally ammmmmmazzzzzzes me that people in FLORIDA feel the need for 4 wheel drive trucks.. I have asked many why they feel the need for 4WD.. Most common answer: "what if I get stuck in sugar sand". Well yes, Florida does have a lot of sugar sand.. BUT IT'S NOT ON THE ROAD!!!!!! Ask all of them how often they drive OFF ROAD. Most common answer: "Ummmm, not really ever".  Ask them when was the last time your truck was in 4WD. Most common answer: "Well I usually don't go off road".  When asked why did you buy a 4WD if you never go off road. "Well, in case I do or if I ever buy a boat".  When asked why they don't have a boat now. "Can't afford one with the price of gas"..   :P
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

garner7555

I am a farmer so I use my 4WD daily sometimes. 
Put me aside though and back to what you said.  I look at it differently, 4WD is like insurance for a lot of people (hardly ever use it, but there if you need it) and honestly you recover around the same amount on resale value as what you spent on the 4WD upgrade innitially.   :Twocents:

By the way, that V10 doesn't get enough credit.  Great engine.  We have run several on the farm and they are great and MPG isn't that much worse than the V8 or even the diesel if you factor in the added upkeep on the diesel.    :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Old Moparz

The first time I saw a truck on a lot that had a sticker over $50,000 I couldn't believe it.  :o  That was a while ago & they can be much higher now. As for trade in value & dealers, they will never offer or give you anywhere near what it's worth.

My 2004 Ram just hit 80,000 miles last week & I saw the first rust spot on the driver side, rear, wheel lip & the bottom edge of the tail gate. The tail gate is not a big deal but the wheel lip tells me it's the beginning of the end.  :lol:

I am not looking forward to buying another truck so I will have a shop look at the wheel lip when the weather breaks & all the roads are free of salt. We just got another 3 inches of snow for the first day of spring.  :brickwall:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

lukedukem

Quote from: Steve P. on March 20, 2015, 08:36:48 PM
No, it has a V-10.   10.5 MPG around town and about 15.5 - 16 Hiway. On straight gas it is about 1 mpg better.

Rear wheel drive...

I must say that it totally ammmmmmazzzzzzes me that people in FLORIDA feel the need for 4 wheel drive trucks.. I have asked many why they feel the need for 4WD.. Most common answer: "what if I get stuck in sugar sand". Well yes, Florida does have a lot of sugar sand.. BUT IT'S NOT ON THE ROAD!!!!!! Ask all of them how often they drive OFF ROAD. Most common answer: "Ummmm, not really ever".  Ask them when was the last time your truck was in 4WD. Most common answer: "Well I usually don't go off road".  When asked why did you buy a 4WD if you never go off road. "Well, in case I do or if I ever buy a boat".  When asked why they don't have a boat now. "Can't afford one with the price of gas"..   :P

Lol. It's the same down here in south Texas. This oil boom has these guys buying and jacking up these huge deisel trucks. And never use the 4wd. My job requires me to go to construction sites, and they don't have driveways, so I use 4wd weekly. And my little 94 single cab 4wd couldn't pull my tractor very good, so diesel I went.
But I'd say 80% of these guys don't use there trucks for intended purpose, nothing really wrong with it, it's thier truck.

Sorry, my question got us off topic, let's talk about this new deisel. What did the power feel like.
Can you here it. Is it loud. Where I work I get a ram discount, 1% below invoice, not MSRP. Really good deal, but I love my 5.9 cummins and with 113,000 on it, I have along way before I get a new one, but a guy I work with is looking.

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

myk

I wouldn't even consider trading in a vehicle to a stealer-ship.  Better to take your chances of getting raped and strangled from psychotic Craigslist buyers than losing your shirt to a trade in...

Steve P.

Well, one of the reasons I brought my wife is because my hearing is getting crappy as well as everything else. We were both surprised with how quiet it is! We didn't pull anything, but I can tell you I was really shocked at how quickly it got out of its own way!! I stood on it a few times. It jumps to 4K quickly and shifts quick. We were on a back road along the Gulf of Mexico that has no homes or traffic and what looked like about a quarter mile was eaten up from a dead stop much faster than expected and really I did not feel like I was pushing it. NO SMOKE, SMELL and fairly quiet. I was really impressed. I would have to say that the Italians got this one right. I haven't found anyone yet who has put big miles on one, but I have read this motor is NOT new. It's been used in Italy for years.

I think I could get away with a gas V-6 for my normal use, but I didn't have time to drive one. Maybe next week as I would love to make a comparison. The diesel damn sure will pull more, but I rarely tow anything anymore. Hell, I may as well sell my car trailer..

I would love to rent a new truck and take it on maybe an 800 mile trip to see if it is comfy going long distance. It's been a while, but I use to make the 1250 mile trip back home with only fuel stops and to stretch my legs. The seats in the new Ram are not as thick as my F-250, but who knows until you experience it for yourself.. But for you guys thinking about the new V-6 diesel, I am pretty impressed so far...   :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

moparchris

What was the price of the Eco-Diesel Ram?  I assume it was loaded with every bell and whistle
.I've thought that they sound like a nice alternative to either a weak gas motor or an 850 ft/lbs monster cummins.  My 93 Cummins D250 is still plugging along at 250K miles but I'm also curious about this new diesel.

Steve P.

The truck we drove was not what I wanted, but I did want to drive a v-6 diesel. It was a 4x4 crew cab and I believe it was a SPORT. I believe the MSRP was around $48K... It was loaded to the max.. The killer is once you get up into that range I would simply step up into a 3/4 or 1 ton with a cummins and not worry about anything....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

lukedukem

Quote from: Steve P. on March 21, 2015, 05:18:21 PM
The truck we drove was not what I wanted, but I did want to drive a v-6 diesel. It was a 4x4 crew cab and I believe it was a SPORT. I believe the MSRP was around $48K... It was loaded to the max.. The killer is once you get up into that range I would simply step up into a 3/4 or 1 ton with a cummins and not worry about anything....

I've heard this from others too. Might as well.

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

wstool

I bought a mine for less then $38,000. including tax. Love it.Took it to Indy and averaged 26 mpg doing 78 mph.The 3/4 tons are only getting 16 mpg.

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

twodko

I posted up when I bought my private party Ram mid year last.
It's a 2009 Ram 1500 hemi crew cab short bed Big Horn.
Always owned Silverados before but this is the best truck I've ever owned!
Quick as a rabbit, the crew cab back seat is plenty roomy/comfy for
a tall & big man (buddy rode back there), plush and highly optioned.
It has the center console which I really like.
Not the best mileage but I'm burning all the gas the Pious drivers
have been saving for me!
I'd like to have same same 2014/2015 but mine's paid for so prolly
won't happen..........unless I get my "reserve" for my '69 R/T.

Steve P.

Quote from: wstool on March 24, 2015, 04:13:21 PM
I bought a mine for less then $38,000. including tax. Love it.Took it to Indy and averaged 26 mpg doing 78 mph.The 3/4 tons are only getting 16 mpg.

Exactly what is yours? What motor and cab and package? 2 or 4 wheel drive? Cloth or leather?

I can buy many a RAM truck under 38K, but most of them are less package than I need..

One thing RAM pisses me off with is to get a power seat on the passenger side you have to step WAY UP. I checked to see what the numbers are for low and high end trucks sold around here and the low end wins by a long shot. So chances of finding the proper power base in a bone yard isn't good. I am sure it is their way of pushing people into a high dollar truck. It really sucks for those who have back issues.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

472 R/T SE

Have you seen the new special edition Ram?  I'd hate to see a letter fall off the tail gate, it's liable to total out a rig.   :slap:

Sorry so big, I hot linked.

Kern Dog

Quote from: lukedukem on March 22, 2015, 08:44:19 PM

Luke

A gut I work with bought one last year. He wanted a stripped down 2wd but with their limited availability, he settled for a quad cab 4wd "Adventurer" model. He loves the A8 transmission. He traded in a 2005 2500 Cummins and said the Eco has less torque but drives great. Plenty of power, nimble with a nice ride. Comfy truck with no diesel smell.

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

GOTWING

I'm surprised you even found one on the lot. I have never seen one around here yet. I thought that they would want to mass market them, they must be near impossible to get like the Hellcats. :P

wstool

Mine is a crew cab 4 wheel drive sportsman with a few options. Its a company work truck.Local dealer has 3 on the lot now.Did have a friend buy a loaded one for $53,000. Will put around 25,000 miles a year on it, so I buy base models and trade every 4 years.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Kern Dog on March 26, 2015, 09:55:02 PM
Quote from: lukedukem on March 22, 2015, 08:44:19 PM

Luke

A gut I work with bought one last year. He wanted a stripped down 2wd but with their limited availability, he settled for a quad cab 4wd "Adventurer" model. He loves the A8 transmission. He traded in a 2005 2500 Cummins and said the Eco has less torque but drives great. Plenty of power, nimble with a nice ride. Comfy truck with no diesel smell.

I don't see the economics in it?  :shruggy: I looked at the v6 diesel and while it gets better MPG when I run the math on more expensive fuel (I even run the recommended mid grade gas) and more expensive maintenance it didn't add up. Guess it's just the attractiveness of the diesel image? Didn't pull any more either?

I got a 1500 Crew 5.7 Hemi Laramie package truck with a limited slip 3.92 rear end and a bunch of other options.. It wasn't cheap. It's by far the most expensive vehicle I have ever bought. I got a good deal considering I ordered it exactly how I wanted it. And I looked for quite some time to find my minimum requirements but no dice.

I love my RAM. It's a great truck. The styling, the interior, the comfort features the organization... I absolutely love the sound when I put my foot into it to pass someone or just being a hooligan. It has no trouble getting down the street. I have only towed small cars on open trailers so far but it's been effortless and the integrated towing brake and towing mirrors are great. The 4wd works wonderfully and I love the 8spd trans.

Would I change some things? Hell yes. I wish the center rear seat was full depth rather than 70% to accent the dual buckets in the 2nd row. This was a big deal to me as I have 3 kids and wanted to be able to move everyone. The interior lacks nook and cranny storage. The 2nd row seats don't fold down (just seat up) so the space behind them isn't available for strap storage. There is under seat storage but half of it is eaten up by a sound system sub-woofer. For me the biggest wart is the UConnect 8.4 software system. I'm an embedded controls engineer and there are so many bugs in that freaking interface that it drives me nuts. I suspect most wouldn't even notice but as I do this for a living every one of these bugs sends me off the deep end. I would bet dollars to doughnuts the guys that wrote this crap never once actually drove the cars and used it in a family environment. Plus it's missing about a million option settings that it SHOULD have. It's software for Christ sake, this stuff should have more settings than a Chinese menu.  To be fair this is the first vehicle for me with these systems so other mfgs may be exactly the same but frankly they missed the mark. I see little effort required and they could really hit it out of the park. Wonder if I will be able to get software updates without going to the dealer?  Plus they really need a way to open these systems up to personal development. Ok, Ill stop geeking out.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

lukedukem

i read this article from truck trend...
http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/pickup/1501_ram_tough_dilemma_hemi_vs_ecodiesel/
not sure how well written it is...
and i don't think they drove these but the last paragraph sums it up:

Frankly, if you regularly tow more than 6,000 or 7,000 pounds, or haul a payload more than 2,000 pounds on a routine basis, you're probably better off with a 3/4 or 1-ton truck. Yes, on-paper, 1/2-tons can handle loads this heavy, but it's much less of a burden on the larger models and gives you a lot more wiggle room if you find yourself having to tow or haul heavier loads.

i think they are right about towing a lot... if you do then you might want to get a 3/4 cummins because the constant towing will be worse on a 1/2 ton.
this is the reason i got my 3/4 cummins, my half ton started to fail me, tranny, and so far the 3/4 keeps going no matter what i put behind it...
but still, for a guy who doesn't tow much, but would like to have the power in case... its a toss up. Hemi or Ecodiesel

luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

bakerhillpins

Luke,

Completely agree with the summation you quote. I don't tow on a regular basis so the 1/2 ton was my target. It's going to be a few times a year max. Still not sure I see any advantage the eco diesel has over the Hemi though so it's not a tossup to me?

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Steve P.

I agree with all of the above. The thing that pisses me off about all of it is that,  1) gas and diesel have switched price rolls over the years. Diesel is cheaper for big oil to make. (Unless something has changed over the years). 2) most of us want the comfort and ease of the higher end vehicles. If they would build them all with comfortable seats, they would not have to build 10 different seats. As a mechanic who worked on many different vehicles every day, I have always thought this.. You call for parts and have to give not only a full description of the vehicle, but also a build date. Mid-year changes and model changes and sometimes where in the country it was bought is all nuts and we are all paying for it. Example: For years and years GM and others, made a tilt column and a standard column. Back in 94-95' they finally figured out that if they made 1 column that tilted they only had to build and stock one column.. This of course, saves money!! For every part they don't have to develop and build and stock it saves money. All they did make for both was the collar. One for tilt and one that hides the fact that you HAVE TILT. This brings me to: WHY NOT EVERYONE HAVE TILT?

The V-6 Diesel is NOT NEW. It is a motor that has been in use in Italy for years. They use less fuel therefore, pollute less and if diesel fuel were at the price it should be, we would mostly all be driving them and getting more years from them and much better mileage for a lower cost. Bottom line, if they made all comfortable seats and A/C in all and so on, we would all be happier with our vehicles for less... So they think they would not sell as many?!?!? Hell, everyone wants something NEW!! My grandfather use to trade in every two years. Today you pretty much have to keep cars for many years due to what they cost and how fast you can find yourself upside down on a car.

I think they should at least allow us to order what we do and do not want if they are going to play this game...

Ok, I will calm down now.. lol...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

twodko

The very same thing can be said for the gawddamn cable companies.  :flame:

HANDM

I just wish they would make a 1500 quad cab long bed (8ft)

A 2500 would be fine but I just don't need the extra capacity, or the huge price that comes with it....just the length

For now the 97 with all of it's death rattles, still gets it done...lol

Mytur Binsdirti

I have three Sprinter work vans & with diesel being 70 cents per gallon higher now, it's just not cost effective any more. Also, now that you have that ad-blue additive that these things now have, there have been nothing but problems. The tank heater fried in one vehicle & the 2nd had 2 pumps go. The next vans are either going to be Ford or that fugly Fiat/Dodge van with the V6.

Silver R/T

Quote from: Steve P. on March 20, 2015, 06:33:13 PM
We just got back from our local Ram Dealer and I am very impressed with the new Eco Diesel truck with 8-speed tranny. I am not, however, impressed with the price. And after what Ford had to tell me they thought my old 02' F-250 SDSC Lariat is worth, I think I will keep the old girl..

I have a leak, (first ever) with this truck. They spotted a wet looking pumpkin and told me they were dropping their original quote by ((( 1,100 ))) bucks.. I grabbed my keys off the salesman's desk while laughing at the new offer.. I have not looked it up yet, but I figure the pinion seal is about 6-8 bucks.. And what, 20 minutes to change out?? ON THE GROUND!!

This truck is in GOOD to VERY GOOD condition. 106K on the clock and never been hurt. Are they NUTS!!!!! Ram offered much more, but at 50K for the new truck that I want, I just cannot afford it.  :'(
I'd never trade-in any of my vehicles. If I have to get rid of one I'll sell it to private party. Dealers are swindlers and just bunch of low life scum that I'd rather not deal with.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

stripedelete

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on March 28, 2015, 02:28:28 PM
I have three Sprinter work vans & with diesel being 70 cents per gallon higher now, it's just not cost effective any more. Also, now that you have that ad-blue additive that these things now have, there have been nothing but problems. The tank heater fried in one vehicle & the 2nd had 2 pumps go. The next vans are either going to be Ford or that fugly Fiat/Dodge van with the V6.

I hear you!  I have 5 Isuzu NPR diesels.  I didn't mind sucking it on up on the higher fuel cost because they were bullet proof.   But, the fuel related issues I'm now experiencing are making the 5.7L gasser look pretty attractive.

lukedukem

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on March 28, 2015, 02:28:28 PM

Yeah that blue crap sucks. I heard if you run out it goes into limp mode and you can't drive over 5mph.
There should be a Viagra reference: if you run out you go limp.
Anyways, the new construction equipment now has this crap. It's hard to sell a new machine that cost 10k more than last years model and now with the blue crap to add. It just makes the older deisels more valuable.

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC