News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 Reverse Manual Valve Body?

Started by rebby, October 14, 2012, 10:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebby

So I've long joked that I don't know how to drive an automatic. Yesterday that joke became a reality when I learned that the car that I just bought has a reverse manual valve body. I have a general idea what this means but don't have a clue beyond that. Can somebody provide a little insight? With a valve body like this can it still be driven as a basic auto? I'm guessing no... If not, can I swap out a valve body that I have in a 727 that I pulled from a 73 RV? Is the reverse manual valve body and shifter worth anything? It would be nice if it could help fund the swap back to the factory 69 shifter.

One of the big "perks" to buying this car was the fact that it was an auto since my wife wants to be able to drive it and, even after all these years, I can't convince her to drive a stick. I'm also thinking that a reverse manual valve body transmission won't be much fun in traffic (but I could be wrong, remember I don't know how to drive an automatic).

Thanks for any insight...
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

JB400

A reverse manual valvebody means you have to manually shift it gear to gear just as you would a manual trans.

John_Kunkel

Whether or not you can simply replace the RMVB with a stocker depends on whether or not the governor components were removed when the RMVB was installed (they are usually removed).

Driving one on the street isn't so much about the manual shifting, it's a lot about the extra-firm shifts getting a little annoying after awhile.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 15, 2012, 04:09:57 PM

it's a lot about the extra-firm shifts getting a little annoying after awhile.

Heck, thats the best part for me!  :drive:

Been using my RMVB on the street for 13+ years with no issues
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

rebby

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 15, 2012, 04:09:57 PM

Whether or not you can simply replace the RMVB with a stocker depends on whether or not the governor components were removed when the RMVB was installed (they are usually removed).

Driving one on the street isn't so much about the manual shifting, it's a lot about the extra-firm shifts getting a little annoying after awhile.

Great. Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into this a little closer. I guess I'm about to learn a bit about autos. All that I know for sure at this point is that I don't want the manual valve body. If its gonna be manual, it's gonna have a clutch! I wonder if I could just swap the 2 transmissions? Perhaps that would be easier?
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

MxRacer855

Hey guys,

I know this thread is a few years old, but I was researching RMVB's and I want to throw one in my 727 for my '68.

Two questions:
1) Can I use my stock floor console still?
2) I would like to add a gear vendor's overdrive 4th gear... if I do that, then can I still use my stock console?  :lol:

Thanks!

Jeff

John_Kunkel

You can use the original console and shifter but you'd be wise to change the D and 1 letters.

The Gear Vendors won't affect either the console or shifter.

MxRacer855

Thanks John.

Glad to hear it!  :2thumbs:

I guess I was thinking that extra gear would cause the lever to have to pull back further than the plate would allow... :shruggy:

Jeff

John_Kunkel

When using the GV the shifter stays in whatever gear you've selected, the GV is engaged electrically from a separate controller....IOW, you can engage the GV in any gear (six forward speeds).

MxRacer855

So... as far as engaging the Gear Vendor's overdrive (GV) 4th gear in any gear... I will be pulling the gears back like a normal manual reverse valve body, but press something special for overdrive (4th gear)?

Also, if I understand what you're saying... I can jump from 2nd to overdrive? Or 1st to overdrive?

John_Kunkel

Yes, the kit includes a control panel where you select manual engage or automatic engage at a certain road speed; in manual mode the actual engage/disengage is accomplished with a floor switch just like a headlight dimmer switch.

The 6-speed is a great advertising gimmick but it's usefulness is debatable.

1st=2.45
1st OD= 1.91
2nd= 1.45
2nd OD= 1.13
3rd= 1.00
3rd OD= .78

MxRacer855

Oh, I get it!  :brickwall:   :pity:

Each gear has an overdrive. I don't know what I was thinking... I was thinking of an overdrive as a "4th gear". A full-on highway gear.
;)
That's actually pretty cool. I haven't ever driven a car with that setup so I don't know how "useful" it really is (going along with what you said).

I'm just hoping it will give me some breathing room and allow me to go down the highway at a little lower RPM's than just a regular 727 with a reverse manual and a shift kit.

I think I saw an episode one time where Mike Musto was explaining his similar setup to a guy. he called the overdrives "splitting each gear".

Thanks for all of the help John!  :2thumbs:

Really appreciate it.  :cheers:

Jeff