News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HELP I D A 440

Started by djcarguy, June 20, 2015, 07:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djcarguy

INFO NEEDED?? wasjust given a 440-----   intake pad says T  440     HDF  an the side i could see today cast # with 440 at the end?????

I think it early 70es it has trap bolt mounts ??

looks like 413 exhaust manifolds??

an jumbo balancer an pully for 4 belts??

its out of a automatic rig??

could not get to date cast side of block..any info-helpful..

thanks DJ

70 sublime

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/motor/36.html

Are you sure there is no number beside the T ?

Just a T means 1963
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

djcarguy

A383Wing

no 440's were made in 63.....could be a industrial 413....pics of numbers would help here

John_Kunkel

There has to be a single digit before the T (Trenton engine plant), it's probably lightly stamped or covered with paint/sludge. That style of stamping was most common from '74 to '78 so the missing digit would be 4,5,6,7 or 8.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

djcarguy

thanks guys...   says 440 on intake pad an end of cast # side of block,,i saw it..

has a a frame handle on oil fill cap

has a big splash duck bill or oil can rest on valve cover

has a flex plate an convert on it

think 72---- 80

friend said c-600 truck?????????????????????????????????????????????????  GENO OUT THERE?

hemigeno

Quote from: djcarguy on June 22, 2015, 09:29:52 PM
GENO OUT THERE?

Hi DJ,

Got your note, and replied via email.  

To summarize here, it may not be possible to determine the engine's original heritage.  "Low Cab Forward" C-series Medium-duty trucks did have at least one tell-tale trait on their gas engines, in that the water pump housing was raised in comparison to the camshaft, etc.  This was done to put the radiator fan more centered on these trucks' taller radiator.  That housing would never work on a passenger car application.  All you'd have to do is swap it out for a "regular" housing, change out the engine's guts (you'd want to do away with the low compression, low-end torque camshaft, etc.), and it could be used elsewhere.

:cheers:

P.S.  Got to thinking about something else - the motor mounts are completely different for at least earlier-built LCF trucks vs passcar.  My truck uses a single-point wishbone mount in front (below the pulleys), and the bellhousing has two mounting points which rest on a crossmember.  This 1960 block (see last two photos) still has ears cast for "normal" mounting, so the block castings are likely to be the same, even for your 440.