News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Richard Petty Superbird ad

Started by murfman, March 13, 2015, 04:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murfman

What is the story behind this car?  I've never seen a picture of a Petty Race bird with a Vinyl top besides this ad?

murfman

Looking closer at the picture, the wheel wells are not cut out like the NASCAR racers were either.

Aero426

No real race cars finished at time of photo.   Thus, they had to mock up a street car to look like the #43 race car.   

PettyMower

Hmmmm.....could this also be the Petty Blue 'Bird Give-A-Way car from Lowe's? Richard presented the car to the winner.

murfman

So were the side marker lights, door handles etc... removed by airbrush?  Was the exhaust, roll cage, window tabs, headlight screen added?

daytonalo

BULLSHIT MOCK-UP ! wiper post , antenna , headlight doors , good call

chargerman69

Think this was the bird at detroit autoramma in 2012 cause they said it was for racing then put back shock with the parts

PettyMower

Also, the fender scoops appear to be a different shade or color.

Aero426

Quote from: chargerman69 on March 13, 2015, 07:58:53 PM
Think this was the bird at detroit autoramma in 2012 cause they said it was for racing then put back shock with the parts

That story is really not possible.    Was that the white car with the running bird on the doors?

Aero426

Quote from: murfman on March 13, 2015, 06:30:37 PM
So were the side marker lights, door handles etc... removed by airbrush?  Was the exhaust, roll cage, window tabs, headlight screen added?

Yes, you can see the airbrush work if you look close.

Exhaust cage, etc is all faked.   Who knows that they used?   The could have used cardboard tubing for the cage.    Headlight screen is taped on.    

Antenna base is on the RF fender so Richard can listen to tunes if he gets bored. 

wingcar

More "STOCK" than any "RACING" Superbird in NASCAR.....(Neat ad however....)
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Aero426

The only "Petty car" that ever had a real black vinyl top.   

wingcar

Petty did run a Road Runner with a vinyl top in 68 or 69.  It was said to have covered a light weight roof but unfortunately it actually separated above the windshield during the race.  (So much for that plan...)  I would have to go back and look through my pictures as the memory is not what it once was......

RTDaddy

Quote from: wingcar on March 16, 2015, 10:22:41 AM
Petty did run a Road Runner with a vinyl top in 68 or 69.  It was said to have covered a light weight roof but unfortunately it actually separated above the windshield during the race.  (So much for that plan...)  I would have to go back and look through my pictures as the memory is not what it once was......

68 Daytona 500.

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."
"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

Aero426

Petty did run a Road Runner with a vinyl top in 68 or 69.

Not quite.    

Yes, There was a black top.   But it was textured paint.   Not actual vinyl.

Even people WHO WERE THERE (!) have parroted the incorrect story on this for decades, and continue to do so.     This is a good example of how memories fail.   Old photos and video do not mis-remember.      

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on March 16, 2015, 03:41:15 PM
Petty did run a Road Runner with a vinyl top in 68 or 69.

Not quite.    

Yes, There was a black top.   But it was textured paint.   Not actual vinyl.

Even people WHO WERE THERE (!) have parroted the incorrect story on this for decades, and continue to do so.     This is a good example of how memories fail.   Old photos and video do not mis-remember.      

Yup!  It was the ACTUAL THIN METAL TOP that separated at the front header and was coming off.  The welds broke!

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

wingcar

Not to start a war.....But the 1968 Petty Road Runner did in fact have an actually vinyl top.  It was at the Daytona 500 was said to be a mind game to puzzle other competitors.  But, the vinyl roof peeled back (some say because of the very thin roof metal) forcing Petty to make an unscheduled pit stop for repairs.  Petty lost two laps as a result of the pit stop and finished two laps down in seventh place.  (Paraphased from Greg Fielden's "NASCAR, The Complete History", page 193, and it includes a picture).  I have another picture somewhere of Petty on the roof during the stop trying to help repair the vinyl top...I believe it was in an old issue of "Stock Car Racing" magazine. 

For the July race at Daytona, Petty showed up with the roof, hood and trunk painted white to keep the engine and driver's compartment cooler.  (Picture in same book on page 196).

And, just for the record, the '68 was the only Petty car to have a vinyl top as both his number 43 Superbird and Pete Hamilton's number 40 Superbird never had vinyl tops....

Aero426

No war at all.   Just discussion.    It is true that the roof separated.  But it was the outer roof skin that failed.  Watch the broadcast footage at the 50 sec mark onward.   There is no vinyl flapping around.   You can clearly see the roof skin failure.   At 1:18 to 1:30, you can see Richard pounding the roof with a scratch awl to wire the roof skin shut.   Look how weak the roof structure is.    Whatever they did, they really worked it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuz090HABmA

Aero426

More... note that there are no seams on the top whatsoever.   There is no close off trim at the A-pillars.  Nor is there any trim on the rear quarter panels to close off the top.   No drip rail trim to secure the sides of the vinyl.   If the really ran vinyl, it would rip off the car in a matter of practice laps.  If it was vinyl, they must have had some magic secret to get the decals to adhere to it.   

wingcar

A panel of distinguished judges made up of Judge Wapner, Judge Judy, and Judge "Sammy".  Have ruled...after reviewing your latest evidence presented...that indeed there is doubt to the before mentioned story regarding whether or not actual vinyl was used on said car in the year of our Lord, 1968.  Therefore, until farther evidence can be presented that disputes the here in mentioned evidence previously presented....they must rule in favor of Aero426.  This ruling comes with no monitory ruling against any party involved and will remain in place until such time as new evidence is presented to  contradict said ruling.......Peoples Court is now adjured....(but will return after this commercial break)    

Ghoste

I side with the evidence but I hear that last guy was into Pontiacs.

chargerman69

No it was blue
I have a picture of it somewhere and the vin

Quote from: Aero426 on March 13, 2015, 08:26:10 PM
Quote from: chargerman69 on March 13, 2015, 07:58:53 PM

That story is really not possible.    Was that the white car with the running bird on the doors?