News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WIW The changing question

Started by ws23rt, May 16, 2015, 08:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ws23rt

In another thread I wondered about how and why we advise posters about the value of cars.

In my work I have been asked to estimate the cost for projects. (industrial mechanical construction). Whenever I did this I was always off by at least 25%.
As time went on I grew accustom to the current value of things and again estimated a job. Again I was short by about 25%.
The times I made my best guess at the cost of a job and added 25% I was almost right on.

My point is that we live in a changing world and our instincts about how things are does not keep up with changes such as loss of value of the dollar, change in interest in the old car market, etc.

Since nearly always we post about how an asking price is too high. Is this not (in part) our lag in keeping up with how things are or have changed?

I'm just saying :shruggy:---The best tell about values would be selling prices but that is not an easy bit of data to compile.

Dino

It's in our nature to complain about everything that's bad instead of focusing on the good.  The classic car world is no exemption of this; we are quick to state what something is worth, or at least what it is not worth, while we rehash the memory of "back in the day" where everything was seemingly perfect and an r/t sold for $500.  They forget to mention rent was $50 though...

Cars are worth what they sell for, regardless of the motivation behind it.  That is sometimes hard to accept but yes times do change fast and we need to keep up.  I always thought it funny that the people involved in the classic car hobby are the ones that complain about prices set by people in the classic car hobby.   ;)
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ws23rt

Quote from: Dino on May 16, 2015, 08:48:30 PM
It's in our nature to complain about everything that's bad instead of focusing on the good.  The classic car world is no exemption of this; we are quick to state what something is worth, or at least what it is not worth, while we rehash the memory of "back in the day" where everything was seemingly perfect and an r/t sold for $500.  They forget to mention rent was $50 though...

Cars are worth what they sell for, regardless of the motivation behind it.  That is sometimes hard to accept but yes times do change fast and we need to keep up.  I always thought it funny that the people involved in the classic car hobby are the ones that complain about prices set by people in the classic car hobby.   ;)

Dino I get that you understand my point and intent. :2thumbs:

It is of course only an opinion when someone says what a car is worth. But for those that do so--I say it is in the best interest for all that that opinion be spoken as well as perceived as current. :Twocents:

BTW we always need the critiques  :yesnod: