News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gear Vendors - In my Daytona - ideas?

Started by Daytona Guy, March 07, 2015, 04:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona Guy

I'm getting a (new) Dana 60 with 355's and looking to get a GearVendors overdrive. I'm near Portland OR, does anyone know a good person to hook up with to get one and install it for me? Someone two years ago, I can't remember who, said they sell these and install them.

Just installed my new tranny. Spent buchu bucks on a tranny to handle the 713 HP 739 tq. Now I need it drivable. 

Dane

daytonalo

Dane ,
I prefer to keep things simple and not reinvent the wheel . A Tremic T-56 6 speed will do everything you want  . Leave the automatic for the Kia

richRTSE

Troy bought one and did the install himself...didn't look too complicated...here's his thread:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,76597.0.html

hemi68charger

Quote from: richRTSE on March 07, 2015, 09:30:34 PM
Troy bought one and did the install himself...didn't look too complicated...here's his thread:

Did it in my garage and didn't use complex tools...  :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Daytona Guy

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 07, 2015, 09:56:26 PM
Quote from: richRTSE on March 07, 2015, 09:30:34 PM

Did it in my garage and didn't use complex tools...  :2thumbs:
did you have to shorten the drive line? I noticed there is a tranny tunnel rud???

hemi68charger

Quote from: Daytona Guy on March 08, 2015, 12:04:52 AM
did you have to shorten the drive line? I noticed there is a tranny tunnel rud???

Yes, I had to shorten it. But, actually, I kept the original and made one new from scratch at my local driveshaft shop.. The forward yoke you get with the kit is really a GM product I believe and won't fit in your typical Chrysler driveshaft. So, dont' ruin your existing driveshaft. I can take measurements if you need. I did have to "dimple" the floor pan over so slightly and it is reflected in that thread....
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

moparfan

I had one put in my bird it works great. Keeps the rev low will drop 3.55 down to 2.77.

BigBlockSam

i'm thinking about it to. i changed my rear end ratio too and now she revs high on the high way . does it cost a lot?  :popcrn:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hemi68charger

Quote from: BigBlockSam on March 08, 2015, 12:52:41 PM
i'm thinking about it to. i changed my rear end ratio too and now she revs high on the high way . does it cost a lot?  :popcrn:

Hopefully you can find someone that is a dealer like I did, a friend mine. It cost me $2,000. I believe the regular price is about $2,500?
Troy

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Daytona Guy

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 08, 2015, 01:21:42 PM
Quote from: BigBlockSam on March 08, 2015, 12:52:41 PM
i'm thinking about it to. i changed my rear end ratio too and now she revs high on the high way . does it cost a lot?  :popcrn:

Hopefully you can find someone that is a dealer like I did, a friend mine. It cost me $2,000. I believe the regular price is about $2,500?
$2795.00 now - I found.

Dane

C5X DAYTONA

When I put mine in a clone Daytona back in 2002 it was $3100 installed.   I took my car to Gear Vendor in El Cajon and had them do it..  In and out in an afternoon..   It worked flawless.   17mpg with 610 hp was not bad.  I had 3.23s in it.   My next to do...was to put a lock up converter in it next as I kept cooked the transmission twice at speeds under 75mph with the OD unit on.   Sold the car a few years back but kept the OD set up.   Going into another Daytona shortly.
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

wingcarenvy

Keep an eye out on craigslist they come up all the time. All gear vendor units are the same they just change the tail section to fit which ever trans it needs to fit. I changed one from Ford to T400 for my ramp truck and bought the adapter from Gear Vendors themselves. I bought the unit off Craigslist for $500 and the new adapter was $400 IIRC. It works perfect.

hawkeye

Daytona Guy

Thanks guys. I can't wait to get this installed.

Dane

Honeywood hemi

I have the gear vendors unit in my 69 it is a pleasure with 4:10 , also I have a brand new strange Dana s60 3:55 t/a cover rear disc for sale never bolted in if you have not purchased already .