News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel tank Mods?

Started by Wicked72, March 04, 2015, 08:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked72

I want to use my factory fuel tank. But in the past ive had air get sucked up and stall the motor from driving wild. I will probably use an electric fuel pump either now or when i build the final motor so i was thinking of welding on one of those fuel tank bungs with the AN fittings. But i feel like baffles inside the tank would be a good idea as well. Any ideas or thoughts welcome! thanks
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

Bob

Air? That would indicate a cracked rubber line. I suppose you dropped the tank and inspected all the lines. I believe you have the evaporator filter above the tank with 4 vent lines into the tank. The fuel filter could be picking up debris also.
Just throwing some things out there that you may have already checked.

Cooter

Just make sure you don't do like a buddy did and weld bung at the front of tank....
course, Holley pumps aren't "intended" for "street" use, but I've run twin Holley Blues for 15 years on the street.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Wicked72

Im saying with exp ive had. my car is an empty shell. Ive seen people use a hole saw and just cut a few holes and weld in a sump so it would act as a baffle.

b5blue

My car had a 1/2" bung welded to the very bottom of the tank when I bought it. It had been a drag race only car for about 8 years. After removing the tank and steam cleaning I had the tank shop remove and weld a patch. With all good lines and hose I've never had any fuel delivery issues in many years. I used the car's original (Small block.) fuel as a return line and ran a new line to the pump then to the vapor separator. Adding the correct fuel sender/pickup completed a factory type big block fuel system for not too much cost.
  I did have hot restart delay until I blocked the heat passages to my aluminum intake.

BSB67

Quote from: Wicked72 on March 04, 2015, 08:21:19 PM
But in the past ive had air get sucked up and stall the motor from driving wild.

Very hard to believe.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Wicked72

Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 06, 2015, 03:36:27 PM

Sounds like a job for Hydra Mat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfE1v65fNZI

this looks great! ill be looking into it for sure. I had an electric fuel bump on my first charger that ran a stock 383 and it worked great. I would like to run something a bit better that will grow with the future mods (built + boost, carburetor). I assume in that case ill need a proper regulator and pump controller? or can a mech pump work well?

Wicked72

hydramat is big bucks! but it seems to be worth it. i think ill give a sump a try first and see if will fit my asshole driving style  :2thumbs:

charger1972

Quote from: Wicked72 on March 07, 2015, 01:21:02 PM
hydramat is big bucks! but it seems to be worth it. i think ill give a sump a try first and see if will fit my asshole driving style  :2thumbs:
I welded in a sump . Most external h/p electric pumps have to be gravity feed or you risk burning it up . So my pump is mounted lower than I would like . But it functions great and can drive like an asshole whenever I want .

Wicked72

Quote from: charger1972 on March 07, 2015, 05:21:17 PM
Quote from: Wicked72 on March 07, 2015, 01:21:02 PM
I welded in a sump . Most external h/p electric pumps have to be gravity feed or you risk burning it up . So my pump is mounted lower than I would like . But it functions great and can drive like an asshole whenever I want .

:smilielol: