News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

power box adjustment (updated)

Started by Highbanked Hauler, December 13, 2014, 11:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

When I got the  Charger aligned this time the tech said and I can feel it also the steering box has more play in it than I want. I am asssssssuming the lock nut/bolt in the top turns in if I am correct ??
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

John_Kunkel

Keep in mind that most of the wear that results in excessive play occurs within a few degrees of straight ahead, if you adjust out this play it might make it so tight in turns that the box will bind up and won't return to straight ahead.

I assume the tech checked the idler arm and rod ends for excessive slop.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 15, 2014, 03:01:35 PM

Keep in mind that most of the wear that results in excessive play occurs within a few degrees of straight ahead, if you adjust out this play it might make it so tight in turns that the box will bind up and won't return to straight ahead.

I assume the tech checked the idler arm and rod ends for excessive slop.

Yes, he got under it to check and I moved the wheel back and forth and he said it was the shaft going into the box which is supposed to have been a REBUILT..... :icon_smile_angry:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

HANDM

Just installed a new/ rebuilt box in my 97 Ram and the sector shaft adjustment was so far out, I had turn the allen bolt a full two turns to even start tightening it up and adjusting the mesh of the gears.

The key is to do it a little at a time while having an assistant lightly turning the wheel to check for binding. From there it's a test drive to see if it's tight enough or too tight indicated by hard steering and steering memory.....

Highbanked Hauler

SO I put in another used box I have with only very little play BUT with the front end on stands it will go from full left to full right in 15 sec. and driving it will go all the way to the right in 30 feet so is there anything that can be done other than send it out to rebuild it ?
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

70-500-SE-EXPORT

I don't understand what you mean? Are you are referring to the P/S steering the car by itself with the engine running on jackstands? If so the valve on top of the box with the two 1/2 bolts needs to be loosened and adjusted. Loosen the bolts slightly and tap the valve up or down and re tighten. Start the engine and re-check. If its still steering itself loosen the bolts and tap it the other way. The service manual describes this procedure. Its normal to happen when changing the box. Also does the guy doing the alignment know the "play" in the steering wheel when the engine is off is normal? It should go away when the engine starts and the P/S box is pressurized.
68 Charger original SS1 paint with matching # 383hp