News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Your windage tray thoughts?

Started by Ghoste, March 04, 2015, 08:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

How would the professional engine builders and regular drag racers like to weigh in on windage trays vs screens vs scrapers vs nothing?

moparnation74

justcruisin

Sorry not a pro builder but I have seen a test on a 440 where no tray cost 7HP above 4000 rpm when compared to a factory tray. I run a tray but one thing that I think about is reduced cam oiling, haven't had a problem yet though.

HPP

True. Trays are effective at a relatively low rpm and do produce results.

The effectiveness of trays vs screens vs scrapers, that's more detail than I have.

AKcharger

Challenger340

Strange, but we never did any real valid testing on BB Mopars ? So I can't comment, other than to say on sb Chevs and Canton "Sprint Car" Pans they work well/help power @ rpm.
But IMO,
anytime you can control "parasitic" Crankcase windage it's a good idea ? if even only to lessen aeration(bubbles) in the Oil ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

firefighter3931

I allways run them. It's important to keep oil in the sump to keep the pickup submerged. Last thing you want is the crank pulling oil from the pan at high RPM and uncovering the pickup !  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69wannabe

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 05, 2015, 09:11:22 PM
I allways run them. It's important to keep oil in the sump to keep the pickup submerged. Last thing you want is the crank pulling oil from the pan at high RPM and uncovering the pickup !  :P

Ron
:iagree:

Ghoste

Any thoughts on the different types though Ron?  Is a screen any better than a tray, does a tray reduce drainback to the pan, is a scraper the only truly good way?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Ghoste on March 06, 2015, 06:34:58 AM
Any thoughts on the different types though Ron?  Is a screen any better than a tray, does a tray reduce drainback to the pan, is a scraper the only truly good way?

The milidon tray has better drainback than the MP version but I've allways used the MP windage tray and had zero issues with oil control/pressure at high rpm. Of course I used the reproduction street hemi pan that holds 6 qts for extra capacity. Mancini sells those with the pickup for under $200 and it is great insurance.

The bonus using the repro hemi pan is that it does not hang below the K-frame so ground clearance is not compromised. The hemi pan fit's perfectly in a 2nd gen chassis as well.  :2thumbs:

On an all out race build the scraper with a screen is probably worth a few horsepower.....

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Dino

This is for high rpm racing only though right?  No point on installing a windage tray on a cruiser?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

HPP

IMO, any of these mods are suitable for performance street cruisers as they begin showing gains as low as 4000 rpm and the gains only rise with the rpm levels.

Dino

Quote from: HPP on March 06, 2015, 05:04:48 PM
IMO, any of these mods are suitable for performance street cruisers as they begin showing gains as low as 4000 rpm and the gains only rise with the rpm levels.

Good to know, thanks!

Unless there are any risks or other drawbacks I'll install one on mine.

HPP

They were factory offered on all performance engines, so I'd say zero downside, minimal cost, significant upside.

Dino

Quote from: HPP on March 06, 2015, 05:11:40 PM
They were factory offered on all performance engines, so I'd say zero downside, minimal cost, significant upside.

In that case I may have one already, I never removed the oil pan.   :icon_smile_big:

ottawamerc

Great thread, I think I "need" a windage tray now :icon_smile_big:

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

Ghoste

Like a viscous fan drive, they are free horsepower (a term some hate and some understand).  My understanding is that Smokey Yunick had some sort of pan made made up with a "window" in it so he could watch the windage at even at low rpm the crank would pick oil up out of the pan and whip it into a sort of rope that wrapped itself around the crank.  Don't know if that's true or Chevy urban legend but it seems like the sort of research he was noted for.

Mike DC

QuoteThe bonus using the repro hemi pan is that it does not hang below the K-frame so ground clearance is not compromised. The hemi pan fit's perfectly in a 2nd gen chassis as well.

Wouldn't a stock Hemi pan hang below a wedge K-frame (without the Hemi skid plate)? 

metallicareload99

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 13, 2015, 09:29:45 PM
QuoteThe bonus using the repro hemi pan is that it does not hang below the K-frame so ground clearance is not compromised. The hemi pan fit's perfectly in a 2nd gen chassis as well.

Wouldn't a stock Hemi pan hang below a wedge K-frame (without the Hemi skid plate)?  

Edit:

The K-frame still protects the sump, but the sump is slightly below. My K-frame curves as low as the sump as the K extends to the frame, and the swaybar setup seems to be as low as the sump. I've never had problems with sump clearance with the Hemi pan
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

BSB67

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 13, 2015, 09:29:45 PM

Yes, but not much.  I would say about 1/2".  It is about level with the bottom of the tranny bell housing.  I have a few good pictures if anyone is interested.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Ghoste

And not too hard to weld the Hemi skid plate onto there anyway.

Cooter

Always a good idea to run a tray. Period. How many will spend thousands on a paint job that does nothing but look good, yet that $25-40.00 for 'free' HP escapes them?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Do you like a tray better than a screen (or scraper) Cooter?

HPP

I believe the most effective set up is a punched screen with a scraper. However, you have to make sure the screen is oriented in such a way to promote drain back and prevent pulling oil up. Scrapers also have to be trimmed to be as close as possible to all reciprocating parts, unless you get a zero clearance Teflon edged unit.

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on March 19, 2015, 07:05:23 AM
Do you like a tray better than a screen (or scraper) Cooter?

Not when the perticular engine making 1000 HP is looking for that last 4.7 HP. Then, crank scrapers come into their own. But for the average street engine, a windage tray works well.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

morepower

beneficial to run a windage tray on everything, cruiser, racer, etc.
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

Kern Dog

I don't want to come across as one of those old timers that always defer to factory stuff, but...
Ma Mopar put the windage tray in applications where they expected the owners to hammer on the cars. Automakers do things for a reason. Every single part on a car costs them money to design and develop. If they thought the windage tray was worthless, they would have never added them to their HP engines.

303 Mopar

Quote from: Dino on March 06, 2015, 05:13:20 PM
In that case I may have one already, I never removed the oil pan.   :icon_smile_big:

Dino, no need to remove the pan.  You should be able to see the double gaskets and tray between the block and pan.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

John_Kunkel

Not one of my favorite people but the late Bill Jenkins did a lot of research on oiling systems and he came to the conclusion that the traditional windage tray had pluses and minuses. While the tray does help prevent oil in the sump from being pulled/sloshed into the rotating assembly it also provides a surface close to the rotating assembly for oil slung from the crank to bounce back up into the rotating assembly. The best power gain he got on the dyno with a wet sump was with a 4 foot deep pan...obviously not practical in a moving vehicle.

He found that a windage tray with screens allows oil slung from the rotating assembly to return to the sump without bouncing around in the sump...better than just louvers.

His book is a good read even for non-Chebby folks.

http://www.amazon.com/Chevrolet-Racing-Engine-Jenkins-Schreib/dp/B001DB7JS6 
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ghoste

Smokey Yunick as well, not beloved by all in outside of GM but a smart guy who wrote a book with a lot of insights.