News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing gas tank

Started by terrible one, March 27, 2006, 12:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrible one

How do I do it? I know that I have to un bolt the straps but I can't see where they go at the rear of the car, and havn't crawled towards the front yet to see. What and where do I have to unbolt the straps?

Thanks

derailed

The strap bolts are located in the front side of the tank. Youll see the bolts when you look under there straight up towards the trunk bottom. The back of the strap is held in with a notch so when you drop the tank down twist the strap a little bit and it will come right out.

bull

Is there any gas inside it? A little goes a long way when it comes to weight. Gas tanks are fairly manageable when empty but they can be a major PITA if not and when the weight shifts it's even more fun. Be sure to replace the sending unit because those are a PITA too with the tank installed. I pulled mine out with gas in it which I wouldn't do again. The good part was that I was able to take the whole tank with gas inside it to the local govt. environmental hazard waste site and get rid of it all for free. The tank was shot too.

toqwik

Don't go by the gas guage either, mine showed empty, 13 gallons later it was.  got enuf mower fuel for the summer now :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:  Be careful, Oh, and don't smoke. 

terrible one

Thanks guys. It's empty, was just wondering how to undo the straps.

Shakey

Quote from: terrible one on March 29, 2006, 07:15:36 AM
Thanks guys. It's empty, was just wondering how to undo the straps.

I have attahed a couple of photos that should help you.  The fuel tank straps are held in place with J bolts.  They "lay' in the holes cut in the underbody.  They might be tricky to get at and might be rusty as well.  Be patient.

What are your plans for your fuel tank?  Why do you have to remove it?

terrible one

Shakey,

THANK YOU for the pictures. They are perfect! I know now exactly what I'm getting at. As for the plans for the tank, it is getting replaced, just part of the teardown.

Shakey

Quote from: terrible one on March 31, 2006, 12:45:23 PM
Shakey,

THANK YOU for the pictures. They are perfect! I know now exactly what I'm getting at. As for the plans for the tank, it is getting replaced, just part of the teardown.

No problem.

I had a new tank for my car which was showing some wear after sitting in the car for a year, not even on the road and it was showing some oxidizing.  I took it out and refinished it.

I created this thread a while back, maybe it will help you.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,8798.0.html

Keep us posted and show us some progress pics also.

Have a great weekend.

terrible one

Thanks, once again. That is a good idea, looks good too. I think I'll go the preventive route when I do put the new tank in and do the same. I really appreciate the help. By the way, BEAUTIFUL Charger!

I'll be sure to post pictures as I progress. I have no one else to share them with but members of this forum anyways!

greenpigs

I take it this is being done to get it on the road?

Doing work on the gas tank should be a one shot deal, so replace the sending unit while it is out.

BTW it was SO MUCH fun trying to get the tank back in...guess it is just me because it shouldn't have been that difficult.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

terrible one

greenpigs,

Yes, you are correct. I have decided to do mechanicals first. I'm still stripping off the bondo to see where I'm at...kind of a mix I guess. I'll shoot primer over the bare metal (yes, I know its porous but it will help a bit, plus it's in the garage anyways) and just kind of do as I go. I need to find at least one seat though. Also I'm not sure if I am going to go ahead and do the underside of the car or not. I want to, but I need to do it after the pan replacements, yadda yadda. I basically need to find a happy median.

After reading everything, I plan to get the replacement tank and sending unit, paint the tank, and put it all in new. As you said, a one shot deal.

Speaking of, now would be a good time to pull it. Here we go...

terrible one

Well, it took a while, but I've almost got it.

I got the straps unbolted, the sending unit wire un-plugged, and detached the fuel line as well. One thing left...the filler tube!! How do I get it off of the tank? I have it un-bolted from the top of the fender, and it is just attached to the tank now. It seems that this is all that is left holding the tank to the car. How do I detach it from the tank? I noticed a ring of some sort around it where it enters the tank, but I couldn't unscrew it or anything. If anyone could tell me how to go about detaching the filler tube, I'll be able to finish.

terrible one

Nevermind, I got it. Dug out the FSM and saw that it just slipped in there. Slips right out with a bit of persuasion :P