News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Questions about 1970 door VIN decals

Started by Dodge Don, February 27, 2015, 08:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodge Don

One thing I noticed on the door VIN decal was the month was denoted as "2 - 70".....every door decal I have for a 70 Charger for February 1970 was denoted with "2 - 1970". This format appears to remain until mid-March at which point the format changed to the "3 - 70" format. ECS may have thoughts on this. :shruggy:

**EDIT** - I split the earlier thread from this natural breakpoint, in an effort to segregate things better.  Here is a link to the earlier thread which was about the "Highly Contested Lime '70 Charger Six Pack with A/C Selling at Barrett Jackson":

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,115580.200.html

hemigeno

TUFCAT

Quote from: Dodge Don on February 27, 2015, 08:45:20 PM
One thing I noticed on the door VIN decal was the month was denoted as "2 - 70".....every door decal I have for a 70 Charger for February 1970 was denoted with "2 - 1970". This format appears to remain until mid-March at which point the format changed to the "3 - 70" format. ECS may have thoughts on this. :shruggy:

Here's a thread from Moparts. The person posting as "Anonymous Unregistered" is actually ECS himself.  

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=5624254

moparnation74

Quote from: TUFCAT on February 27, 2015, 09:05:02 PM

Here's a thread from Moparts. The person posting as "Anonymous Unregistered" is actually ECS himself.  

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=5624254
Great points Don!  Tufcat thanks for the thread link that was enlightening! :2thumbs:

I did not realize that there were format differences.  Awhile back I sold my 70 charger to a friend and I distinctly remember that car was built in February of 1970.  I gave him a call to look at the door vin decal sticker and it denoted "2 -1970". :shruggy:

TUFCAT

This year format change is a very interesting topic.  Does anyone have a February built 1970 Charger with an original door VIN sticker?

TUFCAT

1. ECS claimed the 1970 model year door vin decal remained a four digit year format (1970) until Mid-March when it changed to two-digit year format (70).  

From: http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=5624254
#5683285 - Tue Dec 22 2009 10:05 AM

In mid March of the 1970 model year, they further condensed the data entries by eliminating the first two digits of the year.  Instead of 1970 the date simply became 70.  
DW

2.  Since the (1970) format remained in place until Mid-March what does that say regarding authenticity of the (70) format Vin Decal on this car?  

3. The "1970 Charger Registry" also verified the (1970) format was in place until mid-March when it finally changed to the (70) year format.

:shruggy:

charger Downunder

[/quote]

TUFCAT

moparnation74

The picture above is actual proof of the "2 - 1970" format.  Does anyone have actual proof of a decal format "2 -70"?  By actual proof, I mean an original untampered VIN decal prior to mid march?  Not hearsay, which is NOT any validation of proof.  Please post a PICTURE if you do!

charger Downunder

[/quote]

TUFCAT

Here's a photo the new door vin decal ECS made....before it was installed and "distressed" by an owner attempting to pass it off as original.  This is a February (St. Louis) built Charger and it does not have the expected four digit (1970) year format.

screen print from page 14 of thread: "Questions about my VIN tag"

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,105796.325.html

charger Downunder

Wasn't the build date on that car 204 two days before mine.?
[/quote]

TUFCAT

I can't tell you that, sorry.  There's no way to verify a build date from the Vin.

charger Downunder

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 01, 2015, 12:25:34 AM
I can't tell you that, sorry.  There's no way to verify a build date from the Vin.

The fender tag was posted in another thread when a owner was originally asking about the car.
[/quote]

charger Downunder

[/quote]

TUFCAT

Thanks again.  :2thumbs: Yes it was!  

The scheduled production date for the lime green (supposed six pack car with a/c) was in fact "204" - February 4th at St. Louis assembly plant....and yours was "206" just two days later.  :coolgleamA:

All 1970 Chargers were built at the St.Louis plant, so there should no difference in the "protocol" for Vin certification door decal amongst cars.

Just FYI - the scheduled production date is not the actual build date. It could be the same day, a couple of days, or even a couple weeks (before or beyond) the "scheduled" date.  Most people still use this as a good "ballpark", but its not totally actual.  :Twocents: :Twocents:

TUFCAT

The replacement door vin decal subject was talked about in more detail on page 12 of this thread: "Questions about my Vin tag"

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,105796.275.html

charger Downunder

The vin number and date on the door tag on my car is set to the top of the silver part not centered what or others like.?
[/quote]

moparnation74

Quote from: charger Downunder on March 01, 2015, 12:55:25 AM
The vin number and date on the door tag on my car is set to the top of the silver part not centered what or others like.?
I have seen some centered and some not centered.

Dodge Don

I never really focused much on the door decals but I do have 164 on file for 70 Chargers...have way more broadcast sheets and fender tags but 164 door decals begins to show a pattern.

I cannot speak for other models (assume they are the same) but specifically based on the ones we have on file:

Every car with a fender tag SPD in August 1969 had the door decal with "AUGUST 1969".

Of the 11 cars with a fender tag SPD of 901-913...8 had the door decal with "SEPTEMBER 1969"....the other 3 had "9 - 1969"...2 of which were 908 and the 3rd was 912.

After fender tag SPD 913....all the decals are in the 9 - 1969, 10 - 1969, 11 - 1969...format.

After fender tag SPD 310....all the decals are in the 3 - 70, 4 - 70, 5 - 70...format.

This is all only based on what we have on file. If someone believes this is wrong please pony up the evidence...happy to collect more info.

Ghoste

Whats the magic number you have to document in order to not be accused of pushing a personal agenda of alternate reality? 

bill440rt

Fascinating. VERY fascinating.   :popcrn:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

It is actually, we won't probably won't solve world hunger or cure cancer but it is interesting to pore through this stuff.

TUFCAT

1970 was technically the first model year vehicles were "required" the have the new Federal Safety Certification Label affixed to the door (mandatory for 1970 model vehicles under Code Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations).

Part 567 - Certification Regulation
(Effective 8-31-69)

This part specifies the content and location of and other requirements for the label or tag to be affixed to motor vehicles and items of motor vehicle equipment manufactured after August 31, 1969. This certificate will provide the consumer with information to assist him or her in determining which of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards are applicable to the vehicle or item of vehicle equipment, and its date of manufacture. An amendment effective January 1, 1972, required gross vehicle weight (GVWR) information on the certification label.

There's no way to tell when Chrysler actually started producing and affixing labels. Its been proven and documented that some 1969 Daytona's had these decals, as Chrysler was "ahead' of the requirements and built to standards for 9/69... for some reason.

Here's an interesting thread regarding door vin decals on Daytona's:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21618.0.html

ECS

Quote from: Dodge Don on January 14, 2015, 08:10:23 AM
.......up until mid-March 1970 where it switched to "3 - 70" or "4 - 70" etc. I imagine Dave at ECS may possibly have more original examples on file given the nature of his business but would have to somehow cull out just 70 Chargers from St. Louis plant to do a direct compare....I imagine he has better things to do with his time like running his business.

Hi Don.  If you ever need assistance with documentation please feel free to ask and I will be more than happy to provide you with what I have accumulated.  I don't claim to have "proof" of everything ever made but our database has well over 200,000 examples of various makes & models ranging from 1969 to present day.  Every Car Manufacturer we work with has told us that we collectively know more about their VIN program than they do.  Chrysler just turned over their entire (internal) GLOBAL VIN program to us this past month!  This has been a 4 year effort in the making.  We are now the main replacement supplier for both Fiat & Chrysler.  

Regarding the 2 versus 4 digit date, that is another area that has no defined protocol.  March 10, 1970 was the day that all vehicle manufacturers had to comply with the new Emissions Standards that were mandated by the SAE.  For whatever reason, that also happened to be the same approximate time that the 2 digit date started being used.  I have even seen original Chrysler VIN decals that still used the 4 digit date as late as May 1970.  If a Customer does not have an original to format from, we inform them of the approximate times when the changes occurred.  If their vehicle production falls around that March 10th date, we allow them to decide if they want a 2 or 4 digit date for their production month.  If they want a 2 digit date in February or a 4 digit date in April and do not have the original to use as a format, we will honor their request since it does not change the registration or specific information of the vehicle.  

I wanted to make one other statement as it relates to the verbiage being used throughout this thread.  (Not directed at you Don.)  It seems that a few Members here constantly refer to certain reproduction items as "Fake" and do so with a negative connotation.  When many of you have your vehicles restored to Factory condition, does it bother you that you have a "Fake" paint job?  Does it bother you that you have "Fake" Interior Upholstering or use "Fake" replacement Carpeting?  What about the "Fake" Engine components that are used to rebuild the Engine or the "Fake" Suspension Components that have been used to make the vehicle ride like new again?  I could go on but I'm sure you get the point.  We manufacture authentic/real VIN replacements for those who want to restore their vehicle back to Factory/Showroom condition.  We do this with the proper credentials and licensing from the original Vehicle Manufacturers.
TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!