News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rubber bands come with caliper hardware?

Started by b5blue, February 27, 2015, 12:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

My rebuilt calipers (79 Aspen/Volare ) for the Disc 0 Brake conversion came with new hardware for each. Included in both bags of hardware are 2 black rubber bands? Where/what for ?  :shruggy: 

green69rt

Quote from: b5blue on February 27, 2015, 12:39:12 PM
My rebuilt calipers (79 Aspen/Volare ) for the Disc 0 Brake conversion came with new hardware for each. Included in both bags of hardware are 2 black rubber bands? Where/what for ?  :shruggy:  

They usually go around the caliper someplace so that they are between the caliper and the metal of the brake pad.  They are to prevent the pad from making that little "click" sound every time you apply the brake.  Good as new methods are, there is always a little clearance there and if you don't use some method of stopping the sound it will drive you crazy trying to find the problem.

Edit:  and also these rubber bands usually turn brittle or to dust with the heat of the brakes and age so that the first time you take the shoes out they are probably gone so you may not see them on an old setup.  On old brakes it may be a combination of old rubber band pieces, dirt and brake dust prevents the "click" :shruggy:.

green69rt

Found a pic over on FABO

It's called a "O" ring in the pic.

b5blue

Thanks a 2 page Google search, including reviewing 20 topics with some having pics for 90 minutes revealed no clear mounting. ( "hunting Caliper rubber band".)  Some eluded to various placements with uncertainty. For others I took pics that may not be the greatest as my caliper brackets are also black but may save them time.

b5blue

There is a small notch on the back side of the caliper mounting pad that looks to be there just to hold the band in place.  :2thumbs: