News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Front Sway bar bushings and end links

Started by 66FBCharger, August 05, 2013, 06:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

Where can I buy these? Are these something I could buy at the Mopar Nats?
My end bushings look shot and the end links are hitting the strut rods. Other than the bushings being shot, could there be other things wrong besides bushings that would cause the sway bar end links to hit the strut rods?
Oh, it is on a '69.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Dino

You may be going for a more correct restoration but do consider an aftermarket sway bar.  The stock bars are a but thin imo.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bill440rt

Surely there's gonna be some vendor at the Nats selling these.
If you want to retain the original bar, Mancini Racing sells adapter brackets to convert to '70-up style bushings. You'll have to cut/reweld the brackets on the original bar to replace the '68-'69 style bushings. They'll have the end links, too.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

66FBCharger

I bought Moog endlinks and bushing from Craig Stanley at the Nats.
I am considering going to a larger front sway bar in the future.
Thanks to all for their replies.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto

bakerhillpins

If you have the time to post up the part #s you picked up, the work you did/will do, and any other info that would be great. Mine could use replacement and any research you can save me is awesome!  :cheers:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

maxwellwedge

If anyone is looking for original looking pieces in the right plating etc. Frank Badalson sells them

bakerhillpins

Quote from: maxwellwedge link=topic=103693.msg1232429#msg1232429e=1376413247
If anyone is looking for original looking pieces in the right plating etc. Frank Badalson sells them

Can you post up a bit more information please. Google searchs only find a kit for 70-73 cars not a 69 or earlier.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

66FBCharger

Quote from: bakerhillpins on August 13, 2013, 11:56:19 AM
If you have the time to post up the part #s you picked up, the work you did/will do, and any other info that would be great. Mine could use replacement and any research you can save me is awesome!  :cheers:
I got a ton of things done to my R/T on this last long weekend. As I mentioned I got Moog sway bar end links at the Nats. If you look closely at the pictures, you will see not only were the bushings shot, but the sway bar stud has been rubbing against the strut rod for awhile.
The job was not tough, but it took probably a few hours.
If anyone needs the contact info for the guy I bought the parts from, let me know and I will get it for you.

1974dodgecharger

damn if i saw this i could of maybe gave u mine for free.....

maxwellwedge

Quote from: bakerhillpins on August 17, 2013, 07:57:30 AM

Can you post up a bit more information please. Google searchs only find a kit for 70-73 cars not a 69 or earlier.

Here you go.http://www.rogergibsonautorestoration.com/images/2013_catalog.pdf

Page 13 of the catalog. 

SWAYLS 67-69 Sway bar link kit. All original components, washers, bushing link and
end nuts, includes sway bar to K-frame hardware........................... $100.00

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 66FBCharger on August 27, 2013, 11:56:00 AM
I got a ton of things done to my R/T on this last long weekend. As I mentioned I got Moog sway bar end links at the Nats. If you look closely at the pictures, you will see not only were the bushings shot, but the sway bar stud has been rubbing against the strut rod for awhile.
The job was not tough, but it took probably a few hours.
If anyone needs the contact info for the guy I bought the parts from, let me know and I will get it for you.

:cheers:

Quote from: maxwellwedge on September 03, 2013, 08:56:27 AM
Quote from: bakerhillpins on August 17, 2013, 07:57:30 AM

Here you go.http://www.rogergibsonautorestoration.com/images/2013_catalog.pdf

Page 13 of the catalog.  

SWAYLS 67-69 Sway bar link kit. All original components, washers, bushing link and
end nuts, includes sway bar to K-frame hardware........................... $100.00

Maxwell, somehow I missed your followup post. Thanks!   :2thumbs:

He still lists the parts, now on page 18, so I need to give him a call and make sure it's what I think it is.

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

bill440rt

Bryan, this is what they look like. '68/'69 used the same type, in '70 the design changed.
Hands down Badalson has correct stuff. But there are a few other sellers that have them for less. The only difference I see is that according to the description Badalson's kits also include the hardware to bolt the sway bar to the K-frame?  :scratchchin:
These other sets are just the links.  :2thumbs:   They are from suppliers Ehrenberg and MegaParts, but other suppliers also carry them (Vans, etc).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-Swaybar-links-CORRECT-Black-Phosphate-stud-type-Cuda-Charger-Dart-GTX-/321676204938?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ae5655b8a&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Mopar-1966-74-Sway-Bar-End-Links-Cuda-Challenger-Road-Runner-GTX-/400862592069?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d5545bc45&vxp=mtr

Also, the nuts that come with them are just the plain correct nuts, not lock nuts. Be sure to use loctite on them!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bakerhillpins

Thanks Bill!,  :2thumbs:

I have to figure out what "kit includes sway bar to k-frame hardware" means. I am assuming it does NOT mean the triangle shaped sway bar bushings used in 69? Last I heard those were made of unobtainium.   :-\
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire