News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Well.....

Started by murfman, February 21, 2015, 06:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murfman

Some 17 years after I sold my 'Bird to Dave I got the bug to build a clone.  Its going to be a drawn out project, as I have a few projects ahead of it, but I found A nice starting point, a clean 70 Satellite from AZ.

The projects ahead of it include:
My Daughters 54 Plymouth Wagon (Tribute to my Dad RIP)

Original Flathead with an Offy intake and dual carbs, WC T-5 5 speed, 8.8 Exploder rear axle 4 wheel disc brakes

My 1999 Ram 2500 that is stuck in bodyshop hell Stepside Bed V-10, Power Wagon axles 4.56 gears lockers 3" King shocks

A little wheel travel

My 2000 Ramcharger

Getting a heart transplant from this: Ho Cummins 6 Speed

My 1998 Wrangler

Stretching the frame, NOS Unlimited Tub, 408 Magnum AX-15 5 speed Rubicon Transfer case 2.7 to 1 box 4 rocks, 4.88 Dana 44s

And my Boat 1972 Magnum Marine Sedan W/Twin 340 Cu In Super Bee I/Os getting 2 408 Magnum motors

New transom glassed in ready for paint and rigging

murfman

That brings me to the Bird donor:

Still unsure about what driveline I'm going to run, but it will be a driver.  I'm picturing Flat black, with a bare bones interior, maybe a ZInc Chromate primer color under the hood and in the door jams like a SR-71 Blackbird...

murfman

A friend is picking the car up next Sunday in Lake Havasu City Az, should be home just in tome for my Birthday!!  I'm enjoying the hell out of my mid life crisis...

daytonalo

Well , what on earth does this have to do with the Aero section ??? someone please move to gen discussion

cdr

sounds like he is building a wing car to me  :shruggy:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

murfman

Yes building a clone. Low budget but not a rat

odcics2

Sell off that stuff and have enough for a real Bird...    :shruggy: :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Mytur Binsdirti

Well? That's a very deep subject.

murfman

Quote from: odcics2 on February 21, 2015, 08:11:57 PM
Sell off that stuff and have enough for a real Bird...    :shruggy: :Twocents:

Been there done that  My old Bird is for sale right now for 275K  No desire for originality, I want to beat the piss out of it, I'll beat on a 30K car, but not on a 100K + car

JB400

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on February 21, 2015, 08:25:01 PM
He could just be feeling a little better about it.

What drivetrain combo are you planning on going with? :popcrn:

murfman

Quote from: JB400 on February 21, 2015, 10:32:30 PM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on February 21, 2015, 08:25:01 PM
He could just be feeling a little better about it.

What drivetrain combo are you planning on going with? :popcrn:

I'm still up in the air about that besides a manual trans with OD.  I'd like to build a GenII Hemi just because I never had one, and I just sold a set of the new Edelbrocks to a friend, they are nice and reasonably priced.  But I've also considered a P5 Nascar motor, just because.  On the third hand I have 2 440s at my disposal, and loved my 6BBL... The car will be getting a cage, and something similar to the Hotchkis suspension upgrades.  A glass nose, fenders and hood, preferably an aluminum wing (I'm a big guy and have been known to dance on my wing lol)

The plan of attack is get it home and asses what I have, make whatever sheet metal repairs are necessary and het the shell de rusted, stripped, primed and sealed so it does not deteriorate, and build from there.

It is definately going to be a sparse, stock car kind of build KISS no A/C, Stereo, mechanical gauges, simple wiring, just enough to make it street legal, maybe a simple heater/defroster to keep the glass clear.

dyslexic teddybear

I like it!! :2thumbs:

Hope to do something similar in a few years, heavy on the KISS principal, thus dependable.

Something replaceable, intending to be driven much. Will definitely be watching.  :yesnod:

Bronzedodge

Is that one of the Mexico Ramchargers? ( sorry to hijack a aero thread)
Mopar forever!

murfman

Yes it is. Hope to start the engine swap as soon as the weather breaks.

murfman

Got her home:

So far plans are:
Centered Explorerer 8.8 with Cobra brakes
Gusseted K frame and lower arms
QA1 upper arms
1.06" T bars
Tubular front and rear sway bars
QA1 Shocks
Viper calipers W/ 70 New Yorker rotors
Firm feel box
Tied frame rails
Full roll cage

Dave Kanofsky

Hey Murf!

YOU are a madman!
I wanna check out that Mexican Ramcharger, I never understood why they didn't sell those in the USA.

The 'Bird project sounds very cool!

Wing it!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

murfman

Hey Dave!  I'm planning on swapping the Cummins into the Ramcharger the first week of April. I need the truck to pick up a trailer for the boat at the end of the month in Ohio, then it is "game on".

69charger2002

I want the 2000 Ramcharger! I have been halfheartedly looking for one for quite some time. I will get one someday. :)
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

murfman

Gotta love cars from the Southwest

murfman

Has anyone mounted the headlights under the nose on a clone Bird / Daytona?  I'd really like to leave the driver side headlight bucket open with a piece of screen over it Grand National style.  I was thinking projector headlights in the turn signal openings under the nose.

farm966

There was a green bird clone I believe with a custom (home made) nose a while back on the internet with lights underneath....it was different.