News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Grave yard cars

Started by RUSTY CHIEFTAN, February 16, 2015, 08:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RUSTY CHIEFTAN

Does anyone know what is going on over there.I heard Darren,Josh ,Derrick are all no longer employed there .Is the show going to come to an end?

TUFCAT

Rumor on Facebook was Josh and Darren were FIRED.

RUSTY CHIEFTAN

That show is one of the best car shows around . I loved it.It truly captured the shop setting four guys working always gooffing around. :cheers:

twodko

Way too much contrived drama and not enough real restoration. Mostly bullshit.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

resq302

While I appreciate the show for the Mopars that are on there, I find that there is a lot of inaccuracies in the information that the show provides.  Entertaining..... to a point.  Accurate..... eh, so so.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

moparnation74

The variety of Mopars restored there is entertaining to watch.  Where else can we see that in our living room?  The bickering and treatment of employees is another story.

BB14404SPD

Quote from: TUFCAT on February 16, 2015, 08:13:56 PM
Rumor on Facebook was Josh and Darren were FIRED.

Where on FB did you see this?

TUFCAT

search for John Rose. I'm friends with him on FB.

polywideblock

Quote from: twodko on February 16, 2015, 08:43:41 PM
Way too much contrived drama and not enough real restoration. Mostly bullshit.  :Twocents:

:iagree:  :yesnod:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

moparnation74

Quote from: TUFCAT on February 16, 2015, 09:19:11 PM
search for John Rose. I'm friends with him on FB.
Where is the infamous CRESTON!  I am sure he will shed some light here :popcrn:

472 R/T SE

Darin was on Facebook mentioning how screwed up it was that the heart & soul of GYC was just run off.

He was trying to rally the troops into making life hard on Mark it sounded like.   :shruggy:

Thing is, Woman most likely has a desk that's stacked full of resumes from qualified bodymen who wouldn't mind working on the low side of scale simply for the fact they get their mug on TV.

Perhaps Velocity stepped in & said that more work needed to be done & less grab ass.  Maybe even Woman's been told, "Hey, we have some body & paint folks that our latest survey says the consumer wants to see these type work with someone like you...we'd like for you to hire them.  It's gonna help ratings."   /Velocity

RUSTY CHIEFTAN

Yes alot of shop drama but thats the way most body shops are in  real life.

polywideblock

1974dodgecharger

I don't understand the problem Graveyard cars restores the BEST cars in the business each car mark restores sells upwards to 500k or more......

Ghoste

73rallye440magnum

Quote from: RUSTY CHIEFTAN on February 16, 2015, 11:57:41 PM

Not in my experience, and I was working on six and seven figure cars.

Like others have said, too much fabricated drama, not nearly enough work.
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

moparnation74

Quote from: 73rallye440magnum on February 17, 2015, 07:33:26 AM
Quote from: RUSTY CHIEFTAN on February 16, 2015, 11:57:41 PM

Not in my experience, and I was working on six and seven figure cars.

Like others have said, too much fabricated drama, not nearly enough work.
This was not in my experience as well. 

Ghoste

Maybe if they didn't try to these shows were "reality" it would be easier to watch.  I have yet to see GYC but when I do I think I'll just go in with the attitude that I know it's scripted and even though the car and the shop are real and the actors are playing themselves, it's fiction.
If I can be within earshot when my kids are watching Kardashians and not push an icepick into my temple then I know I can sit through GYC.  :icon_smile_big:

jaak

My favorite 'car show' to watch is Southwest Rod and Customs (swrnc) channel on Youtube. Now be warned if the 'f-bomb' offends you, that word is used several times per episode. Anyway, at one point, he had so many subscribers and was so popular on Youtube, Discovery Channel contacted Pete about making a reality show. He agreed and they came to his shop to start filming. He said after filming 3 episodes, he ran them off. He said all reality tv is fake (which we all know that), he said during the day while filming he had to do all the acting and fake stuff, then when filming finished, he had to bust his ass all night to catch up on his work, so the cars looked like they were 'progressing' through the episode.

Jason

mopar4don

I think It's all a ploy to get more people to watch!

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on February 17, 2015, 02:09:37 AM
I don't understand the problem Graveyard cars restores the BEST cars in the business each car mark restores sells upwards to 500k or more......

They really don't though.  There is a reason they weren't known before the show, and you never see their work in magazines or being certified at Mopar Nats or MCACN.  They do nice restorations.  But they are far from the best.

sdweatherman

I totally agree - but its the drama (unfortunately) that brings in the highest viewership. I would love it if it was a straight restoration show - but the ratings would not be there to keep it going.
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus GY8/318/Auto
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus GB7/318/Auto factory Sunroof
1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus EV2/400/Auto factory Sunroof

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: sdweatherman on February 17, 2015, 01:14:56 PM
I totally agree - but its the drama (unfortunately) that brings in the highest viewership. I would love it if it was a straight restoration show - but the ratings would not be there to keep it going.

How is it that the majority of us complain about the drama, but the few think that the drama sells. I am not an algebra whiz ,but that don't add up.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

hawkeye

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on February 17, 2015, 01:25:48 PM
Quote from: sdweatherman on February 17, 2015, 01:14:56 PM

How is it that the majority of us complain about the drama, but the few think that the drama sells. I am not an algebra whiz ,but that don't add up.
I think you need to look at the demographics of the show's viewers.  Most middle aged white guys have no interest in a bunch of fake drama.  Just the facts, Jack (or Mark as the case may be).   :Twocents:

Charger-Bodie

I maybe worded it wrong , but I agree with you. I hate the fake or real drama.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

472 R/T SE

Drama?

So if GYT was an online restoration Mopar forum, it'd become the #1 site in a matter of days.   :smilielol:

Ghoste

Only among a small group of us.  ;)

JR

After I blasted GYC in the last thread, I thought later I could of been a bit harsh.

So just this past Sunday night, there was a marathon on and I thought id jump in and see how long I could stand to watch it. Maybe let it redeem itself. I jumped in on the episode that featured a General Lee

I lasted 4 1/2 minutes.  All I saw was idiots pushing cars around for 5 seconds, and then the rest of the time was Wormman threatening his employees chasing them around the shop (and of course doing nothing when he caught them). What a bunch of unprofessional hacks. If I was an employee, he'd have one chance to threaten me like that. No more. If I was a paying customer who discovered what buffoons had my car, id get it back immediately.

I understand they could be playing it up for TV, and if thats the case, they just sold out their reputations as any kind of serious professionals by acting like clowns for how many seasons now?

I find it disappointing how many Mopar guys look up to these dweebs. I can't imagine theres much more reasoning to it other than "I like Mopar, these guys are on a show with Mopars, so they're all right with me."
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

moparnation74

Quote from: JR on February 17, 2015, 10:10:39 PM
After I blasted GYC in the last thread, I thought later I could of been a bit harsh.

So just this past Sunday night, there was a marathon on and I thought id jump in and see how long I could stand to watch it. Maybe let it redeem itself. I jumped in on the episode that featured a General Lee

I lasted 4 1/2 minutes.  All I saw was idiots pushing cars around for 5 seconds, and then the rest of the time was Wormman threatening his employees chasing them around the shop (and of course doing nothing when he caught them). What a bunch of unprofessional hacks. If I was an employee, he'd have one chance to threaten me like that. No more. If I was a paying customer who discovered what buffoons had my car, id get it back immediately.

I understand they could be playing it up for TV, and if thats the case, they just sold out their reputations as any kind of serious professionals by acting like clowns for how many seasons now?

I find it disappointing how many Mopar guys look up to these dweebs. I can't imagine theres much more reasoning to it other than "I like Mopar, these guys are on a show with Mopars, so they're all right with me."
Me and you JR are on the same page :2thumbs:

polywideblock

again    :iagree:

really sad part is they had the opportunity to not only do a REAL restoration show ( tips, techniques,  hints etc  , like car fix ) but one about mopars and they dropped the ball   :slap:

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: moparnation74 on February 17, 2015, 10:18:15 PM

Me and you JR are on the same page :2thumbs:

I think that same page could get crowded......

When I want info on Mopars, here or another site.

And if for some strange reason, I wanted to watch juvenile drama, I have 4 kids and 7 grandkids for that.

F8-4life

Idk about all these opinions about gyc but simply put  television is for entertainment purposes.
Mopars on tv is pretty good entertainment, if you don't like it turn on some Andy Griffith.

keith88

1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

polywideblock

but its just like a train wreck   , if its there you just have to look   :yesnod:   even if it makes you puke    :nana:

TheAutoArchaeologist

So just to keep track.  Daren, Josh, Holly and Derrick have all left the show.  That leaves Mark and Royal?  I haven't watched the show in a while.

mopar4don

The last time the show was on, (2 weeks ago) they were all in the show (except holly).
At this time I believe the show is in a mid season break.

lukedukem

Quote from: mopar4don on February 18, 2015, 12:48:41 PM
The last time the show was on, (2 weeks ago) they were all in the show (except holly).
At this time I believe the show is in a mid season break.

correct, two weeks ago was the last show and for some reason this has happened before, they skip a week or two during the season and then come back with one or two episodes then take another break. i don't get it
i like the episodes where they review the builds, they did it for the white super-bird and the banana yellow charger. i think they are gonna do it again for another car. when these shows are on they cut out some of the BS and only usually take car stuff from each episode and show that, then show the send off of the car with the owners. but there is still a little BS.

luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Charger4404spd

I've tried to watch it a few times. Only could handle a couple minutes of that bs and had to switch channels. That could be a really good, informative show if not for all the drama crap. I'd much rather watch the guys here on dc.com posting pics of their restorations.

TUFCAT

The story is Josh and Mark's Daughter are divorcing, or have divorced.

Okay things happen.  Everyone says he's a good Dad and adores the child.  Things didn't work out with Mom and himself.

Regarding Darren.... he and Josh became very tight behind the scenes.  Darren got all bent out of shape over Josh's release and the fact he was "done dirty", and threatened to quit the show.

There were many more ongoing issues between Darren and Mark .....these "issues" immediately combusted with regard to deteriorating relationship between Mark and Josh.

Mark finally accepted Darren's threats to leave and didn't beg him to stay.....

Since they've parted ways Darren has sided with Josh and has had a major falling out with Mark.

I don't know anything about Derrick leaving.

moparnation74

Where is that CRESTON character to enlighten us? :shruggy:

lukedukem

Quote from: moparnation74 on February 18, 2015, 07:04:05 PM

I think Tufcat just did. At least that's all I need to know. Divorce sux. I'm a child of it. I was 11. Im 35 now
It's never good no matter age.
I haven't seen previews for the show on velocity in awhile either

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

TUFCAT

Quote from: lukedukem on February 18, 2015, 07:45:43 PM
I think Tufcat just did. At least that's all I need to know. Divorce sux. I'm a child of it. I was 11. Im 35 now

Luke

Yep, the story is true and I got it from a trusted source.  Darren wasn't fired per se .....but his problems with Mark came to a boil immediately after Josh's firing.

Darren often thinks of himself as a celebrity. 

Highbanked Hauler

Doing crash work for 36 years I didn't work but only a couple of high end cars but the biggest "drama" we had was ass kissers and thieving managers  and flat rate that can kill ya.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

lukedukem

Quote from: TUFCAT on February 18, 2015, 07:57:33 PM

Luke

Yep, the story is true and I got it from a trusted source.  Darren wasn't fired per se .....but his problems with Mark came to a boil immediately after Josh's firing.

Darren often thinks of himself as a celebrity. 

Hope darren got his car, and all the parts that were robbed off it to be used on the other cars that were being restored, that was BS, made up for tv or not.

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

moparnation74

I think Tufcat just did. At least that's all I need to know.

Luke
Luke, the story is obvious, my intent is to have the infamous member Creston who only posts in GYC threads to give us his professional input!!! :popcrn:

TUFCAT

Quote from: lukedukem on February 18, 2015, 08:22:41 PM

Hope darren got his car, and all the parts that were robbed off it to be used on the other cars that were being restored, that was BS, made up for tv or not.

Luke
Darren's Challenger has been sold.

It was hinted on one of the episodes....and was actually true.  I'm totally convinced that all of Darren's footage is taken from actual events....if not "real" then it was re-shot based on the "real-life event" that actually happened.   :Twocents: :Twocents:

Parts were actually taken from his car to help speed up other projects in the shop....and he was really that pissed!  :no:   Eventually they were replaced, but that wasn't fake TV drama from what I hear.  :rant:   

TUFCAT

Hello Creston.....?  Anyone out there?   :shruggy:   

F8-4life

So do you guys think the 35k offer on his challenger was real or for the show?
And was his response real or for show?

VegasCharger

Quote from: TUFCAT on February 18, 2015, 04:45:20 PM
The story is Josh and Mark's Daughter are divorcing, or have divorced.

Okay things happen.  Everyone says he's a good Dad and adores the child.  Things didn't work out with Mom and himself.

Regarding Darren.... he and Josh became very tight behind the scenes.  Darren got all bent out of shape over Josh's release and the fact he was "done dirty", and threatened to quit the show.

There were many more ongoing issues between Darren and Mark .....these "issues" immediately combusted with regard to deteriorating relationship between Mark and Josh.

Mark finally accepted Darren's threats to leave and didn't beg him to stay.....

Since they've parted ways Darren has sided with Josh and has had a major falling out with Mark.

I don't know anything about Derrick leaving.

I seen that a mile away when the show was just begining with Josh's foot in the door of being a member GYC. In real life divorce is very common under everyday circumstances that life has to offer. Now let's throw in that Josh is married to Mark's daughter and now works for Mark. Mark now sees Josh most everyday and vise versa. So any little arguments that Josh has with his wife/Mark's daughter is now more magnified and Mark will most likely side with his own daughter putting Josh in the dog house. Now let's add the fact that they have a child together. So now to Josh, Mark is his boss, father-in-law and grandparent to his child. Add the fact that they also have the TV show in which they have to get along in front of the camera (minus the  horsing around BS). This adds up to a failed marraige with all of these obstacles IMHO.

lukedukem

Quote from: moparnation74 on February 18, 2015, 09:15:20 PM

Luke
Luke, the story is obvious, my intent is to have the infamous member Creston who only posts in GYC threads to give us his professional input!!! :popcrn:

Oh yeah, that's right. I remember now.

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Daytona R/T SE

Maybe he got fired too ? :shruggy:

2592 creston

Luke

While I am flattered about how much you value my opinion...and how you follow my every word, so that you know I only post on the GYC thread(which is not true by the way)..I am going to let you figure it out all by yourself!!!!!Pretty cool...I never had a stalker before!!!!

1974dodgecharger

Mark did that to rex car in fact took some oem piecez and kept em like hennesy did to his customers. 

Quote from: TUFCAT on February 18, 2015, 09:19:58 PM
Quote from: lukedukem on February 18, 2015, 08:22:41 PM

Luke
Darren's Challenger has been sold.

It was hinted on one of the episodes....and was actually true.  I'm totally convinced that all of Darren's footage is taken from actual events....if not "real" then it was re-shot based on the "real-life event" that actually happened.   :Twocents: :Twocents:

Parts were actually taken from his car to help speed up other projects in the shop....and he was really that pissed!  :no:   Eventually they were replaced, but that wasn't fake TV drama from what I hear.  :rant:   

Old Moparz

Never saw the show & from what I am reading in this thread it sounds like I didn't miss anything. :lol:

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

moparnation74

Quote from: 2592 creston on February 19, 2015, 07:01:19 AM

Luke

While I am flattered about how much you value my opinion...and how you follow my every word, so that you know I only post on the GYC thread(which is not true by the way)..I am going to let you figure it out all by yourself!!!!!Pretty cool...I never had a stalker before!!!!
Stalker, that is a laugh!  However, your response is typical and it showed which threads you respond to. :brickwall:  Thanks Creston for proving my point!!!!  Also, calling you out for your response is stalking, lol.  So who is following who here :scratchchin:

2592 creston

Quote from: moparnation74 on February 19, 2015, 08:03:21 AM

Luke

Stalker, that is a laugh!  However, your response is typical and it showed which threads you respond to. :brickwall:  Thanks Creston for proving my point!!!!

Try to stay focused... I saw this thread and didn't post anything until YOU called me out at least 3 times...I was minding my own business until you got me involved!!  Im not sure if you think I am Mark,I assure you I am not!!! I like the show apparently you don't so I let it go .Again by   calling me out in 3 posts I am going to defend myself , and not let someone like you talk shit about me. Since you value my opinion so much here are two suggestion: First If you don't care for my posts don't call me out on them.I didn't say a word , you you practically begged me to post something..(A little weird in my opinion) secondly ,if you don't like GYC don't watch it and don't worry about you gets fired or if they shut down all together....Why do you care???? Please try to control your urges and not mention me in your posts!!! Not sure what your up to worrying about what I say so much, while I do not condemn men who live an alternate lifestyle,i assure you I am not one them...Think your barking up the wrong tree,Sorry!

Charger-Bodie

Ghoste

Yeah, who needs the show?  We have plenty of drama right here on the site.  :lol:

moparnation74

Quote from: 2592 creston on February 19, 2015, 08:21:02 AM
Quote from: moparnation74 on February 19, 2015, 08:03:21 AM

Luke

Stalker, that is a laugh!  However, your response is typical and it showed which threads you respond to. :brickwall:  Thanks Creston for proving my point!!!!

Try to stay focused... I saw this thread and didn't post anything until YOU called me out at least 3 times...I was minding my own business until you got me involved!!  Im not sure if you think I am Mark,I assure you I am not!!! I like the show apparently you don't so I let it go .Again by   calling me out in 3 posts I am going to defend myself , and not let someone like you talk shit about me. Since you value my opinion so much here are two suggestion: First If you don't care for my posts don't call me out on them.I didn't say a word , you you practically begged me to post something..(A little weird in my opinion) secondly ,if you don't like GYC don't watch it and don't worry about you gets fired or if they shut down all together....Why do you care???? Please try to control your urges and not mention me in your posts!!! Not sure what your up to worrying about what I say so much, while I do not condemn men who live an alternate lifestyle,i assure you I am not one them...Think your barking up the wrong tree,Sorry!

Lol, are you done.  Or will you post more for me to laugh at!  Your choice!

djcarguy

SUPERBIRD ??? ANOTHER BIRD HAS SHOWED UP AT MARKS NEW SHOP LOCAL????   LOTS MORE MOPARS ARE TURNING UP THERE TOO????

WHO IS LEFT TO WORK ON THEM AN ???

WHO IS THERE TO SEE----- THE WELDS AN WORK EVER GETS DONE???

LIKE 5TH SHOP I KNOW OF FOR MARK IN SPRINGFEILD,HAS LOTS MORE PAVED YARD AN BETTER BIG FENCE???   DJ OUT WEST :popcrn: :popcrn: ONLY SAW 1ST PERSEASON SHOW WAY LAST YEAR FOR THIS SEASON?               GOOD LUCK TO THE CAR OWNERS :popcrn:  :popcrn: :pity:

Mytur Binsdirti

Darren's departure will be no loss at all. Long Turd isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer & with him gone, it will be interesting to see who they are replaced with. That is, if the show comes back.

djcarguy

2SUPERBIRDS SETTING OUTSIDE, 1 WHITE ,1 SUBLIME????WHO????????????????

40 - 50 MOPARS OUTSIDE THE SHOP??????????????  AS OF 6 AM THIS MORNING.WAS HEADED HOME FROM WIN-CO food shop..  lattt er DJ 6-14-15

super77se

same here and I couldn't agree more. I decided to actually give it a second chance , it wasn't 5 minutes in before the lame drama started in. I would love to see an actual Mopar restoration show that I can soak in a little knowledge from instead of this intelligence insulting romper room stupidity. after fast forwarding through the commercials and BS of a recorded one hour program , there was less than 15 minutes of actual car building. the beauty of my remote control is I can change the channel and never watch another episode.

hatersaurusrex

If Mark wanted to stick to the 'reality' format that gets the ratings - he could keep the drama and yuks for the network show (because some people actually do like that crap, God knows why) and then make a web-only companion series series that focuses in-depth on the technical aspects of the resto with more of the stories behind the cars.

Lots of shows nowadays have web companion series and offshoots like that.  I think lots of guys here would just watch or stream that one and skip the network one entirely.  It could have the same ads and whatnot - I mean you gotta keep the lights on.   In fact Tony's Parts or Bad Dog Blasters or whoever could do entire segments on how their products are made.  I'd watch 30 minutes of how a blast cabinet is put together, but your average Velocity channel person wouldn't give a flip.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Ghoste

And the thing is, he's probably a good guy to hang out with.  (cuz I hate the show)