News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3rd Gen Rear Seat Steel Wires In Sitting On Part

Started by parkerswede, March 26, 2006, 08:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parkerswede

I tore back seat cover completely off (the part you sit on). There quite a few steel wires running through from side to side. Each one has a little loop at both ends. Also looks like a twisted rope of some kind ran from front to back through these. Any idea about this? Do new seat covers have these inside them (doesn't look like it). Thanks.

phat69charger

No they don't come with that, they are suspension wires that spread the load across the other springs hard to find replacements so save it and go over it with new burlap and jute padding then the foam when you recover the seats.

My best friend is an upholsterer!

parkerswede

Looks like burlap goes on the bottom. Then the jute padding? the the seat cover on top? How do the suspension wires work (what are they anchored to?) Thanks for the help!

parkerswede

More questions. Where can I buy the burlap and jute padding? Thanks again.

parkerswede

What is the burlap and jute padding for? Foam padding not enough?

phat69charger

The wires spread the load out over the zigzag springs, the wires that are laced through the burlap should be place on top of new burlap, then jute padding which helps spread the load out even more and it also keeps the wires from cutting into the foam, it's not really need for back seats because they don't get a lot of use but my seats were done like that front and back, the burlap with the springs and jute can be hog ringed in a few spots onto the zigzag springs then the foam just sits on top of it all, it just makes it more durable because the factory puts the minimal amount of material in the seats to keep cost down.

ALSO WALMART SELLS BURLAP!

parkerswede

parkerswede

OK Phat69 , please bear with me. I have sandblasted the seat frame, primed it and painted it. I have purchased some burlap and cleaned the seat wires. Where exactly do I go from here? The ends of the seat wires were threaded through some sort of twisted rope looking stuff but its all rotten. Thanks again.

phat69charger

Parkerswede, I think that twisted rope kept the spacing between the wires even, but just lay your new burlap down as a base on the seat frame zigzag springs and hog ring it down, you should fold the edges of the new burlap over and make it double where you hog ring it to the frame, then lay the wire laced burlap on top of that and hog ring it in place, if your wire laced burlap is worn real bad take a new piece of burlap and re-lace it through some new burlap, my seats had jute padding placed over all of the burlap and was hog ringed down as a deck for the foam to set on,  I don't think the factory did the seats that way, but my friend did my seats like that he said it helped spread the load even more and keeps the springs from cutting through to the foam more than just the burlap alone can, make sure your foam overlaps the whole frame top on the front edge of the seat so the covers don't have any hard edges to poke or make a hole through, and when you hog ring the covers on always start in the centers and work your way side to side, get some of those spring clamps to help you hold the cover down until you hog ring it.. If you need any more help let me know.

4402tuff4u

Those little wires are called "listing wires" and they are made of high spring type - hard steel. In other words, they take the load and return to their original shape once the load is off. When I restored my 68 Charger front seats, some of these wires were very thin from corrosion and the ends (hooks) broke off. I contacted Legendary Interiors and they told me that they are no longer available and the ones they use are from old seats that they have restored and they keep them for their use. They couldn't sell me any. Therefore, I started searching and found that McMaster-Carr had some. The only problem was that the ones they sold were in 12" long pieces. That was long enough for me, even thou the originals were 13" - 14" long. I'm not sure about the rear seats. My Charger came with new rear seat in boxes, but I'm guessing they are made of the same material. The paper rope that these wires were attached to I found in a local craft (Michael's) store. That rope gets hog wired to the springs. The listing wires are weaved in the burlap. I have a few left over wires (12"), if you need them PM me and you can have them.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

parkerswede

Thanks guys for the helpful replies! I think I have enough spring wires from the original seat. Know of a good place to buy jute for the seat?

phat69charger