News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Holes or vents in a 68 Charger hood ?

Started by Toretto, February 14, 2015, 12:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 15, 2015, 01:06:54 PM

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the most basic idea here.

Any 68/69 Charger = sleeper?  

In 2015?

wouldn't it be backwards?  Our old cars cant keep up with modern cars.....

JR

What temperature does the gauge show after an hour of driving? Does the car experience fuel boiling issues? Are there no other symptoms than a hot to the touch hood?
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Toretto

Quote from: Ghoste on February 15, 2015, 06:26:06 PM
Okay, now it makes a little more sense.  It still shouldn't make the hood so hot you can't touch it though.

In a black Charger cruising slowly on a sunny day in the last Soviet state maybe?

When we came on the freeway with 55 mph the temperature went down.

Dino

Quote from: Toretto on February 16, 2015, 04:42:41 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on February 15, 2015, 06:26:06 PM
Okay, now it makes a little more sense.  It still shouldn't make the hood so hot you can't touch it though.

In a black Charger cruising slowly on a sunny day in the last Soviet state maybe?

Still not normal, although mine is white I can have my car idle in traffic on a smoldering day without it overheating.  It should get hot to be sure, but not so hot that you'll burn yourself on body panels.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

JB400

What size of radiator is in the car?  22 in. or 26 in.?

Does the car have a fan shroud?

What type of fan does the car have?

Ghoste

And what temps are being indicated on the guage?

A383Wing

temperature of what??

Toretto

Quote from: A383Wing on February 16, 2015, 07:24:12 PM

temperature of what??

The gauges. (And I am guessing the motor of course.)

The speed wind cooled the radiator :)

HPP

Quote from: Toretto on February 15, 2015, 04:36:11 PM

We live in the last Soviet state, so we are used to old cars that don't have much horsepower 

And his Charger look like a stock 318 car 

Buuut.. It outruns Nissan Skylines. On a rainy day 

Ahhh, now I see.

Big old Mopars tend to run very hot, compared to what you guys are probably used to. Every big block mopar I've owned had plenty of heat under the hood, car, truck, van, it didn't matter. They were plenty warm. It is not that unusual, but you probably also have additional heat generated because of the significant step up in horsepower.

I do tend to agree with Mike, a classic Charger is hardly a sleeper, especially in eastern Europe, but if you are trying to keep it low key, louvers in the hood aren't going to do that either.

So you sound like your trying to address two issues, 1) draw heat out of the engine bay, and 2) shove cooler air into the intake tract. These two objectives cannot necessarily be addressed by the same solution.

To address #1) remove the side plates in the inner fenders next to the upper control arms ( if you really want to move air through these, install small 12v electronic fans here to extract air). You could vent the hood as shown in the above picture. Make sure there are no additional obstructions on the air path through the grill to the radiator. Build ducts between the nose and radiator to force the air through this path. Make sure the air exiting the engine bay under the car has minimal obstructions.

To address #2) the low key approach is to use a closed  air cleaner with two 3" round hoses that route to the radiator core support to get cooler outside air. Install a rear facing scoop and isolate the air cleaner from the heat under the hood to extract the air only from the scoop. Install a forward facing scoop to accept air and isolate the air cleaner from the engine bay same as previous.

If you have a problem with the coolant temperature level, then that is an entirely different matter and would subject #3) with another set of solutions.

G-man

Sleeper... Charger... Toretto...

Sorry to say but none of that works in the same sentence.

You don't want a wing or spoiler because then it wont look like a sleeper? Trust me, the spoiler is the least of your problems. You got a near 6 meter car there that says anything but sleeper to deal with first.

Hot air should not be a problem in the engine bay. Practically no members here have holes in hoods and nobody's charger is overheating. Have a good radiator, and that is all you need.

I don't see the point to the entire thread. Besides, wouldn't holes make it look like it aint a 'sleeper' ? THis is american muscle, not Rice. You want a sleeper, get a jap car, you are in the wrong field to begin with here.

JB400

Idealy, I'd agree that a Charger isn't a sleeper type car, but I do believe that a Charger could be built as a sleeper amonst the other Chargers.  Stay away from the high impact colors, and paint it white, gold, or one of the other generic colors, with a semi gloss clear.  Do a completely stock interior, and run mufflers  off of a C body.  I'd also add full wheel hubcaps and body side moldings to complete the look.

G-man

Quote from: JB400 on February 18, 2015, 08:04:07 PM
Idealy, I'd agree that a Charger isn't a sleeper type car, but I do believe that a Charger could be built as a sleeper amonst the other Chargers.  Stay away from the high impact colors, and paint it white, gold, or one of the other generic colors, with a semi gloss clear.  Do a completely stock interior, and run mufflers  off of a C body.  I'd also add full wheel hubcaps and body side moldings to complete the look.

I would rather a Skyline than what im envisioning that looking like  :smilielol:

Toretto

Quote from: Ghoste on February 16, 2015, 06:19:19 PM
And what temps are being indicated on the guage?

Over 190 F. The gauge was over max at one point.

But he changed the thermostat this week and now the car runs cooler  :icon_smile_big:

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.