News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Holes or vents in a 68 Charger hood ?

Started by Toretto, February 14, 2015, 12:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toretto

Do you think that holes or louvres in the hood like this in a good idea if you need a cooler engine bay?

For example in a sleeper :)

Feel free to post pictures of your solutions ;) (AAAND tips to get the engine bay less warm)

The picture below is a suggestion to show where the holes could be, that makes it easier for air to pull through the radiator:

green69rt

There is a seal at the rear of the hood that is there to prevent engine heat and fumes from getting into the louvers in front of the windshield. Those louvers feed air into the passenger compartment.  If you make cutouts in the middle of the hood it seems that you will defeat the purpose of the seal.  You really need to find another way to get hot air out of the engine bay.

Maybe put a air damn (spoiler) on the lower front of the car to help push more air though the radiator to keep things cooler.

Toretto

Quote from: green69rt on February 14, 2015, 03:22:11 PM
  If you make cutouts in the middle of the hood it seems that you will defeat the purpose of the seal.  You really need to find another way to get hot air out of the engine bay.

Maybe put a air damn (spoiler) on the lower front of the car to help push more air though the radiator to keep things cooler.

Good point. Thanks for your input :) My friend has a sleeper, so a spoiler would give it away sooner than some "hidden" vents..

Do you think it is dangerous to put the vents too close to the back of the hood?

Does this picture look better?

Toretto

Quote from: don duick on February 14, 2015, 05:15:37 PM
this is an attempt of humour, right?

I am sorry. No. It is my bad skills at photoshop/paint. The picture was just to show an idea of the vents would go. (The vents will be black.)

And no. We are not cutting the original hood of the car ;)

Do you have some input now you know this is a serious request?

JB400

Considering the Hellcat cars probably put out more heat than a big block or a hemi, I'd say one, maybe two on each side would be sufficient.

don duick

no sorry just being a prick. I have a 3 inch tube from my air cleaner to the opening next to the radiator and I get cold air and has made an improvement. I never thought about heat in the engine bay. maybe consider an opening and closing scoop like the road runner super bee not sure which one had it.

Toretto

Quote from: don duick on February 14, 2015, 05:26:25 PM
no sorry just being a prick. I have a 3 inch tube from my air cleaner to the opening next to the radiator and I get cold air and has made an improvement. I never thought about heat in the engine bay. maybe consider an opening and closing scoop like the road runner super bee not sure which one had it.

Now we are getting some ideas  :yesnod: We have tought about the Road runner scoops ;)

And nice job on getting cold air into your air cleaner  :icon_smile_big:

Toretto

Quote from: JB400 on February 14, 2015, 05:22:38 PM
Considering the Hellcat cars probably put out more heat than a big block or a hemi, I'd say one, maybe two on each side would be sufficient.

Noted :)

Mytur Binsdirti

Toretto

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on February 14, 2015, 07:17:49 PM
Quote from: Toretto on February 14, 2015, 05:12:08 PM

Does this picture look better?

Nope, it looks as bad as the first.

Rat Rod-look  :cheers: Look at the vents shaped as letters  :2thumbs:

Now: ThereIfixedIT.com

Sinister68

Saw this car at Mopars at the Strip in 2008...
-James
2013 Challenger SRT - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1968 Charger (R/T)
6.4 Hemi/Auto - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 440 4bbl/5 Speed/Dana 3.54

JR

How hot is your engine bay getting that is making you consider hood vents? What problems are you trying to solve?

I would prefer to cool it by upgrading/rebuilding the cooling system and also having the manifolds/headers ceramic coated.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Toretto

Toretto

Quote from: JR on February 15, 2015, 01:10:31 AM
How hot is your engine bay getting that is making you consider hood vents? What problems are you trying to solve?

I would prefer to cool it by upgrading/rebuilding the cooling system and also having the manifolds/headers ceramic coated.

It is my friends Charger. If he is cruising or driving in rush traffic, the engine bay gets so hot that you can't touch the hinges and the hood itself  :flame:

He has an aluminium radiator and an extra fan :)

If he upgrades the cooling system and gets cold air to the motor he will get better performance :)

tan top

Quote from: Sinister68 on February 14, 2015, 07:55:51 PM

that looks good , imo that's what Chrysler should of done  in the first place , made the hood depressions functional ,  although , would not have been practical when these cars were new & daily drivers !! when it rains where does the Rain water ! go :o  ive contradicted my self here :lol: :icon_smile_blackeye:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

If you can't even touch the hood there is some other problem going on and your friend needs to address the disease not stick a bandaid on one symptom. :Twocents:

Toretto

Quote from: tan top on February 15, 2015, 07:55:58 AM
Quote from: Sinister68 on February 14, 2015, 07:55:51 PM

that looks good , imo that's what Chrysler should of done  in the first place , made the hood depressions functional ,  although , would not have been practical when these cars were new & daily drivers !! when it rains where does the Rain water ! go :o  ive contradicted my self here :lol: :icon_smile_blackeye:

We need a little contradiction sometimes ;) But I agree, they should have done this from the factory  :coolgleamA:

If Chrysler did this from the factory, they would probably make something that would drain rain water.

Toretto

Quote from: Ghoste on February 15, 2015, 09:16:11 AM
If you can't even touch the hood there is some other problem going on and your friend needs to address the disease not stick a bandaid on one symptom. :Twocents:

I will tell him that :)

If he upgrades the cooling system and gets cold air to the motor he will get better performance and a custom hood  :icon_smile_big:

The first thing he did, was to repair rust and paint the body. Then he fixed the brakes and suspension.

Then he overhauled the engine and cooling system. So he is on the right track ;)

Many people gets more horsepower and doesn't care after that....

Ghoste

So it's an unmodified engine as well?  No headers?  Does the engine run cool?

Mike DC

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the most basic idea here.

Any 68/69 Charger = sleeper?  

In 2015?

Toretto

Quote from: Ghoste on February 15, 2015, 01:01:44 PM
So it's an unmodified engine as well?  No headers?  Does the engine run cool?

Sorry. I meant he overhauled and stroked the engine :)

He has an orig. 440 stroked to 500 cid alu. heads (edelbrock) cnc ported.  alu. rad. 727 with 3500 rpm stallspeed conv.

And headers of course.

Someone tipped us about a meziere water pump. https://www.meziere.com/ So we will check that out :)

Toretto

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 15, 2015, 01:06:54 PM

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the most basic idea here.

Any 68/69 Charger = sleeper?  

In 2015?

We live in the last Soviet state, so we are used to old cars that don't have much horsepower  :rofl:

And his Charger look like a stock 318 car  :angel:

Buuut.. It outruns Nissan Skylines. On a rainy day  :2thumbs:

Ghoste

Okay, now it makes a little more sense.  It still shouldn't make the hood so hot you can't touch it though.