News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HEMMINGS talking about '69 CHARGER being highly sought after?

Started by ChargerBill, March 23, 2006, 01:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerBill

My mom called me the other night and was telling me that I SHOULDN'T get rid of my Charger (this has NEVER happened - she usually tells me to sell it so I was a little shocked) because she read in a current issue of Hemmings (not sure if it was Muscle machines or hemmings News) that the '69 Charger was currently one of the most sought after and valuable muscle cars. She also mentioned a $100,000 price tag... Now, my mom (God bless her) doesn't always get the story straight when she tries to repeat it, so I was wondering if anyone else here has read anything similar, and if so, where was it written?
Life is a highway...

bull

First of all, I'd have to pick myself up off the floor if my mom was even looking at any Hemming's publication, let alone actually reading one and retaining the information therein. Second, it does not shock me when people out of the Charger loop suddenly realize we're not just a bunch of white trash gearheads and that we might actually know we have something of value and that we might actually be smarter than they originally thought. Third, it also does not surprise me that a mom about the age of our moms would generalize the info she read to the point that she would think all '69 Chargers are worth $100k no matter what the condition. That said it would not surprise me that a #1 condition '69 R/T 440 could be fetching $100k in the very near future if not today with the right buyer. I still think they are lingering in the $50k to $60k range but as the Hemi car prices rise into the millions it stands to reason that the 440 R/Ts will probably go for at least 10% of that sooner than later.

Other than that I have nothing useful to add in regards to the article. Sorry if I wasted your time. :icon_smile_big: Are you back now, Bill?

MOPARHOUND!

".....white trash gearhead....." :smilielol:

ROFL

Good one bull.  Will have to consider that one for the signature.

With every Barrett-Jackson auction there are more and more articles written in newspapers etc. on classic muscle cars and there values going up and up.  Don't have the latest issue of Hemmings, will have to look at it next time I'm in the book store.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

MichaelRW

ChargerBill, the article you are looking for is in the April, 2006 edition of Hemming Motor News. It's a one page article written about a guy who has owned a '69 hemi Charger for 30 years. The Charger is spring green metallic with white interior. No stripes and no vinyl top. Dog dish hubcaps and redline tires. Claims to be one of only two Hemi Chargers in that color and the only one with a four speed.

The article mentions the DOH's, of course, and goes on to talk about what a beautiful design the car is.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

Shakey

MichaelRW

So, that is your car in the article? Very nice.

It's one of my favorite colors too because it is the color of the first Charger I owned way back in 1970.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

Just 6T9 CHGR

That is the car they are talking about in the article........Mike? :wave:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Shakey

No, no, no that is not my car they are talking about in the article MichaelRW.  My car is a 440 car.  The pic that I posted must be the car they are talking about.  I had found it on the www quite some time ago and I believe I have seen it at the '69 Registry also.

Mine will have a black interior, vinyl roof and stripe.  Someday!

ChargerBill

IMO F6 is an INCREDIBLE color for a Charger (you guys Do realize that it started life as a Chebby color...right?) I would LOVE to own that car...who wouldn't? I'm going to have to find that article now.

As far as my mom being interested in cars...she is an absolute CAR BUFF!! She goes on at least 3 or 4 rod runs a year, enters her cars in 5 or so shows and is always looking for a new cool ride to own. My dad was a car fanatic and it rubbed off, but i think she had some of it in her blood to begin with. In fact (true story) my mom wanted to meet my dad so bad in HS that she STOLE his '56 BelAir and drove right by him and burned out. About an hour later she drove by his house again and hollared at him and drove just fast enough that he had to run to catch her but slow enough so that he COULD catch her...they LOVED telling that story. My mom, the car theif...LOL
Life is a highway...

JimShine

Last summer when the Dukes movie hit theaters, there was two or three articles that hit papers around the country. My father called me up and says "Don't you have a 1969 Dodge Charger"? Yeah dad, its the old jalopy as you call it. "Your aunt sent me a newspaper article on how they are worth BIG money. I see a similar article today in my paper. Looks like you made a WISE investment!". I couldn't get it through his head how things like motor size, originality, and current level of restoration plays a huge hand in the values. I still can't.

Mike DC

Most of my relatives & aquaintances still don't understand that trying to restore a '69 Charger isn't the same thing as slapping chrome rims & glasspacks onto an '82 Camaro.