News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fiberglass hoods?

Started by Charger4404spd, February 12, 2015, 07:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger4404spd

Looking for a good quality bolt on hood that uses stock latch. Any recommendations?

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Charger4404spd

Thanks man but that hoods pins in the front.

cdr

sorry about that, i dont think anyone makes one that would use the front latch, at high speed fiberglass flexes & moves around,i would not trust a glass hood without front pins.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

fy469rtse

I agree with Charlie ,
Mines steel with fibre glass scoop , ever had one go , I have , made an awful mess :smilielol:  and scared the &#%^ out off me

myk

There's one on eBay from Tamraz body parts that claims to use the stock hinges and latch.  Most in the know will recommend pins with any fiberglass hood, no matter the attaching method...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

comet_666

I use the Tamaraz hood on mine and it latches fine

cdr

myk

i wonder how much lighter than stock that 'glass hood is...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

comet_666

Nope, haven't driven it yet, but it would take more than me to make it move at all by pulling on it.
Not sure what a stock hood weighs but I did a lift compare and it seems about half the weight...not scientific by any means. The Tamaraz is actually quite well made (not flimsy). It by no means just bolts right on and fits correctly though.

Ponch ®

Quote from: cdr on February 12, 2015, 07:58:09 PM
http://www.up22.com/index.htm

cant speak from personal experience, but every time I've asked/googled info on their products across various message boards, I see the same general theme: stay away from Unlimited.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

cdr

Charger4404spd

Thanks for the info. I found a hood on ebay from Tamaraz, its listed as free shipping, but looks like his price is adjusted to absorb that cost. Went to Glassteks website and their price is $490 compared to Tamaraz  @ $635. Going to contact Glasstek and see what their shipping rates are.

Quote from: comet_666 on February 13, 2015, 08:29:41 AM
I use the Tamaraz hood on mine and it latches fine

Comet what was involved to install the latch assy?

comet_666

Not sure, the main issue with it was it seemed to be higher towards the upper cowl, meaning where it kind of bows up in the rear middle was too high by about 1/2 inch or more so some modifications were made. Tamaraz was helpful and even offered to take it back however by that time it had been modified. Not sure if it was the hood or that the upper cowl had been replaced or a bit of both. I would have heard about it if the latch assembly was a pain in the ass to install so I don't think it was an issue. You also get a choice of hood springs with it. Also the turn signal indicators indents are not cut out and do not look exactly as the steel hood ones look.

Charger4404spd