News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hellcat Charger hits 200mph barrier

Started by kokxville, February 08, 2015, 04:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kokxville

1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

charge69

That is one badazz Charger!  I am tempted to buy one of these but, I would have to sell my 1969 Hemi to get the money and also, appease my wife!  Gotta think my funky old 1969 would be the right choice.  Oh well ! I will try to find a way to get one of the modern Hellcats also !!  For sure, a Charger !

RallyeMike

Gee, they don't sell them to the public with a roll bar - why do the test drivers of this stock vehicle need one?

Unfortunately, I don't think its going to take too many lawsuits to see these cars limited in speed by regulation. Get one soon.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

moparnation74

Quote from: RallyeMike on February 08, 2015, 11:11:21 PM
Gee, they don't sell them to the public with a roll bar - why do the test drivers of this stock vehicle need one?

Unfortunately, I don't think its going to take too many lawsuits to see these cars limited in speed by regulation. Get one soon.
I agree, he states it is no different then one you can buy.  No back seat, roll bar, and special tires from pirelli to handle the speeds.

All that aside, makes me want to get one!

myk

Quote from: charge69 on February 08, 2015, 06:35:07 PM
That is one badazz Charger!  I am tempted to buy one of these but, I would have to sell my 1969 Hemi to get the money and also, appease my wife!  Gotta think my funky old 1969 would be the right choice.  Oh well ! I will try to find a way to get one of the modern Hellcats also !!  For sure, a Charger !

Don't even think about trading off your '69.  The Hellcat could travel at the speed of light and it still wouldn't be able to touch your classic.

But yeah, find a way to own both...

kokxville

1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

bakerhillpins

Quote from: RallyeMike on February 08, 2015, 11:11:21 PM

Interesting, not sure I agree. Why wouldn't and haven't we see those lawsuits against Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, (throw in your favorite exotic)?   :scratchchin:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

rt green

too fast for me. no thanks. wouldnt want to pay for tires on it either. insurance? i'd have to marry my agents daughter.
third string oil changer

jdiesel33

Quote from: rt green on February 09, 2015, 11:23:57 AM
too fast for me. no thanks. wouldnt want to pay for tires on it either. insurance? i'd have to marry my agents daughter.

The tires thing is funny. I have a 2014 Charger and had to replace a tire the other day. $287.00!!!!! I have never paid over $130 for a tire in my life. I was dumbfounded lol. I guess I am either just ignorant to tire prices or never had a car that commanded such expensive tires lol. Cant imagine what the tires on a HellCat would cost.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes

RallyeMike

QuoteInteresting, not sure I agree. Why wouldn't and haven't we see those lawsuits against Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, (throw in your favorite exotic)?   

1. A lot of these exotics actually have stout reinforced roll stuctures, race seats & belts (though still nowhere near equivalent of what is neccessary to protect you in a 200mph crash).

2. Now most any jackass can own a 200mph car, not just select 1%-ers. There will be a lot more opportunity for legal action. You could compare it to "chumming the waters" - the sharks will come.

Historically, irresponsible people backed by lawyers cause limitations to be put on just about everything for the rest of us. Its not just irresponsible people, but also sometimes something that "the system" decides we really need to protected from (the good of us all). It's just a matter of time for the "everyman 200mph car".

The subject video will be introduced as "exhibit 1". 
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Mike DC

I agree with RallyeMike.  We had a burst of suddenly-too-fast cars back in 1970, but in those days hot coffee from McD's wasn't a lawsuit either.  Today our society is far too suit-happy to stand another round of blue-collar horsepower wars.

RallyeMike

I sincerely hope the trend of more affordable super cars continues! In fact, I think it will.... if left unchecked.

It's just that in today's society, I think the trend is very unlikely to be unchallenged. The current affordable HP gains are certainly on the insurance industry, NTSB (or other regulator's hit list). It will be supprted by individual legal actions surely. We'll see what happens......  :scratchchin:

In the meantime, enjoy the Hellcats.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Dino

These cars should come with a few prequisites such as a mandatory class followed by a short spin around the track to see if you can handle the responsibility.  It would never happen, but one can hope for some sense in society right?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Mike DC

I would totally agree.  You throw that much power at people for $60k+ . . . a few hours of classes seem like a great idea.  

It seems like Mopar could indirectly pressure the owners to do it somehow.  Like maybe you don't have to take the classes but they will deny you the full warranty unless you get a passing grade.  Or they offer you some free servicing.  Etc.  At the very least I think the insurance industry should be offering some kind of discount for trying to school yourself on handling your new Hellcat.

200mph on public roads is not as easy as it sounds.  Even with loads of horsepower that takes a fair amount of time and A LOT of clear real estate.  200 is a big attention-getting number but I suspect that most of the Hellcat wrecking will happen closer to 100mph.

Dino

And well below that.  The amount of available torque will result in more than a few 'hold my beer while I try something' scenarios.  A bit too eager on the throttle to show off and half a dozen parked cars get it.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ws23rt

I see many comments about how dangerous the hellcat can be in the hands of the (perhaps) uninitiated buyer. :scratchchin:

Their was a time when 35mph was thought to be a speed that humans could not handle.

Just think about the control one has at hand in any car they drive.---One can push real hard on the brakes but tend to not do that often.
One can put the gas pedal to the floor and then engage the trans. but most don't do that much. We can turn the steering wheel at any time but usually do it when we need to turn. :icon_smile_wink:

This car (the hellcat) is just like any other car. It is made with CONTROLLS like all others. In fact it is a much safer car in many ways than the cars we celebrate here.

So what if it can make 200mph?  Our chargers are in dangerous territory at 130mph. (I read somewhere that they are 300lbs light in the front at 70mph).

Sometimes when I'm driving on a two lane road in heavy traffic it occurs to me how close and down right dangerous it is. We are a flick of the wrist from a fatal head on crash all the time.

It seems absurd to think a group of hired folks (law makers) would protect us from ourselves by taking away some horsepower and calling it a day. :shruggy:  But  that's just what they do when news and hype turn up the heat.

We see the same sort of thing with guns.---Someone with their ---Ak assault--- challenger kills someone because they held the gas pedal down and now we are left with killing people with little 400hp cars instead of 700hp. --Wheew what a dif. 300 hp makes.

-------------Just felt like venting a bit :slap:-----------

ws23rt

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 09, 2015, 09:41:40 PM

I would totally agree.  You throw that much power at people for $60k+ . . . a few hours of classes seem like a great idea.  

That is an interesting thought. :scratchchin:    Is it the price that draws more buyers?---more killer cars---?  And therefore more chances of wrecks?
Are those that have money to buy the same (or more) kind of performance just fewer in number and therefore of less hazard?

I've been into motorcycles since I was 13 and have a couple hundred thousand miles on the street. I recall the 450cc as being as big an engine anyone could ever want. (didn't know much about harleys then :shruggy:)  Eventually any one with a pulse could buy a motorcycle that would be a good match for the challenger in a drag race. And that was 20+ years ago.

Times change and tec. changes but one thing that keeps coming up is the new stuff can hurt us maybe more than the old stuff --not so--- beware and mind the controls. :Twocents:

Lord Warlock

While I'll admit the Hellcat charger is a beast, you can't outrun ugly, sorry to say.  Only way for me to afford a Hellcat challenger is to sell the charger, the stealth turbo and the current challenger, I just don't see that happening.  I hope some will be sold at reasonable used prices in 3 to 4 years.  Maybe I'll be able to get one then.  My challenger will be 9 years old then and the wife may let me get another car for myself by then.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

1974dodgecharger

EVERYBODY is a RACE car driver with a HELLCAT! 

Everyone who gets one believes its their, 'right' to be on a professional circuit because well think about it to be a race car driver you need X amount of power AND hellcat gives that to them instantly.

RallyeMike

QuoteSo what if it can make 200mph?  Our chargers are in dangerous territory at 130mph.

The "what" is the consequences of basics physics, F=MA. The incremental calculation of "F" @ 200mph vs. 130mph, as in being stopped by a "F"ing oak tree, applies equally to whatever year Charger you drive into one. 
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Ghoste

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 09, 2015, 07:12:22 PM

I agree with RallyeMike.  We had a burst of suddenly-too-fast cars back in 1970, but in those days hot coffee from McD's wasn't a lawsuit either.  Today our society is far too suit-happy to stand another round of blue-collar horsepower wars.

I was going to respond with a very glass half full to all of this but I suspect this is too powerful to ignore.
I retain the right to keep my rose colored glasses on but morons with lawyers have altered our society in ways we just will never understand.

JB400

I believe the SRT track experience is open to anyone that buys a SRT car.

On the note of the law suits, I find it funny about gas cans.  Blitz used to manufacture them, but due to the constant lawsuits, got put out of business.  Now, with the spill proof cans made by B and S and the other manufacturers, people are drilling out the safety devices to make them like the Blitz cans.  Anyone will do anything to make a quick buck, even if it results in a company going out of business.

jdiesel33

Quote from: Lord Warlock on February 09, 2015, 11:57:35 PM
While I'll admit the Hellcat charger is a beast, you can't outrun ugly, sorry to say.  Only way for me to afford a Hellcat challenger is to sell the charger, the stealth turbo and the current challenger, I just don't see that happening.  I hope some will be sold at reasonable used prices in 3 to 4 years.  Maybe I'll be able to get one then.  My challenger will be 9 years old then and the wife may let me get another car for myself by then.

:2thumbs: on the Stealth Turbo. I used to love those things back in the day. I always thought they were cooler and sexier than the 3000GTs for some reason. Maybe 'cause it said Dodge.  :icon_smile_cool:
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes

Lord Warlock

I chose it over a 3000GT solely because it had the R/T badge.  I test drove one of each the stealth turbo and the Mitsu VR4, same color, same miles on the same day, tried to negotiate a price on the VR4, they wouldn't budge so walked out drove to dodge, looked at new 94s but were too expensive, as I was leaving the used lot had a teal blue turbo sitting out front, I walked in and paid their price, never looked back.  I did get some grief from the loan company who gave me the loan as I had been preapproved for a new car, not a used one.  worked it out though, and drove the stealth daily for 9 years and 100k miles, it still sits out back parked outside the garage the charger sits in (there is room inside for the stealth but I prefer the space to work on the charger more.  

To this date, it was the fastest car I've ever driven. Me and my dad did a high speed run in it the week after I bought it, way out of town, took it to 165 and still had 1000 rpm to go. Think it would have done 175 if had enough road. Today with bigger turbos, new engine, better exhaust and catback and a crapload more boost, it'd probably go 200 if I had the balls to go that fast again.  its one of the reasons I won't give it to my daughter who needs a car now, she was in a car seat when I drove that car.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

UH60L

Hmmm,
So, this would literally be a case of this:   :pigsfly:

On the one hand, this is only news because the Hellcat Challenger is rated at a measly 199 MPH.....    ::)

On the other hand, how often are most drivers in the U.S. in a position (physically) to hit the top speed?  (I've had my '69 Charger up to 142 MPH....once, and my 2011 Challenger up to the 135-140 area....once)   :drive:

On the other hand, there have been cars, both foreign and domestic, that can reach speeds of 130-205 MPH for how many years?   :yesnod:

On the other hand, politicians and lawyers suck when it comes to this sort of thing, whatever makes them money or makes them look good!    :flame:

On the other hand, I have way too many hands!    :nana:

If I win powerball this week, there will be big news coming out of FCA in a few months...   :D

(how much would it cost to become the majority shareholder?...)