News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best venue

Started by twodko, February 11, 2015, 12:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twodko

What would be the best venue to sell a classic car like
ours to avoid tire kickers, asshats and otherwise clueless
people who know nothing about these cars?
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

tipopiola

I think it'd totally depend on the particular vehicle.  If it's a $20,000 car then maybe ebay or Craigslist etc would be a good option.  If it's a $125,000 Hemi 4-speed etc, then maybe a bigger auction house that will advertise it to the right clientele would be a good choice.  I know that people hate paying the fees on ebay and to auction houses, but if I can sell something on ebay for two or three times as much as I can sell it on Craigslist or by word or mouth, it's obviously worth paying the 10% fee. 

lloyd3

It's well worth 10% to not deal with all the inane questions and the blowhards. I'm not sure 10% covers it though.  Ideally, you'd have a high-end collector car retail operation close-by that you could drive your car to and have them handle the sale while competently storing (and insuring!) your car.  There are a few of them scattered throughout the country and I do see their advertisements (videos) on YouTube. I doubt that all of them are crooks, but I'm fairly sure a lot of them are pretty slippery.  I think the seller's premium at Barrett Jackson is 20% now (it may be more) but they can command the highest prices so, accordingly, their fees reflect that fact. If one is close-by, go talk to them and go with you gut. Research their history, both on-line and by word-of-mouth if you can. If it all adds up and their fee isn't too-onerous, then give it a go.  Most of these operations are either near a big city or at-least a big airport.

68X426

Tom - there are several high end consignment outfits in the Bay Area.  One of them is Kassabian Motors in Livermore, aka MyHotCars.  They cater to the new money crowd in Silicon Valley.  I'm not endorsing them, but I've seen their stuff and talked with them, and their methods and approach seem sound.

http://www.myhotcars.com

I asked my buddy again and he can't afford your beauty.  :'(

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

twodko

Thanks guys.

Thank you for the tip Dan. I forgot about Kassabian Motors.
I have drooled in the a couple times in the past.

My spinal surgeries went as expected but.........

bakerhillpins

Have been infrequent on the board these past few months so I missed the back story.

Sorry to hear that you are looking to sell the Charger Tom.  Hope that your doing OK and that your recovery goes well, wish I was there to help. A good friend of mine just had some outpatient spinal surgery and it took a lot of support from all of us to get him through the recovery period but he is doing great now.   :2thumbs:

If your looking to avoid lots of nonsense you might just try to pass the word to some close friends and let it work it's way through the community. If someone is serious enough to hunt you down it might help filter out some of the noise.

Good Luck and if it does sell I hope you stick around.  :cheers:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

sdweatherman

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about www.cars-on-line.com? Post up 4 pictures and your description for a one time fee of 50-60 bucks and the  car stays on until it sells. Seems like a pretty good price for national exposure. Had a friend post up a car and he got a few calls, but it was only a $6500 car. He did eventually sell it to someone who saw it on CL.
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus GY8/318/Auto
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus GB7/318/Auto factory Sunroof
1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus EV2/400/Auto factory Sunroof

twodko

Thanks isn't enough gentlemen. The very thought of the Q5 stall my
garage laying empty is hard to imagine.
The other half of my bed that has lain empty for 2 years now haunts
my every waking moment. Hard to have imagined that too.
We restored that car together. So many chapters have been closed.

I've entered a local car show in May. I'll know the next chapter then.  :shruggy:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: twodko on February 11, 2015, 12:34:58 PM

Be sure to post a for sale ad in the classifieds here on this site if you decide to sell.

Several of us here are non-asshats.  :Twocents: ;)

twodko

:lol: :2thumbs:

Most of the folks here are the best people I've never met.

VegasCharger

Quote from: twodko on February 11, 2015, 12:34:58 PM

I've got to be honest, I've never heard of the term "Asshats".
Now that I have, I think that slang word is hilarious :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

myk

I hope you decide to keep the Charger.  For what it's worth, I know you're miles away but you'll always have us on the journey...

69rtse4spd

Quote from: myk on February 13, 2015, 04:47:35 AM
I hope you decide to keep the Charger.  For what it's worth, I know you're miles away but you'll always have us on the journey...

How true, best of luck with what ever you do.  :2thumbs:.

bill440rt

So sorry to hear of this tough, heart breaking decision, Tom.  :icon_smile_dissapprove:
I do certainly hope you decide to stick around a while, whatever the outcome. You would be sorely missed around here, for sure.

I often wondered the same thing, if/when the day ever came what I would choose as the best venue.
You could try eBay with a high reserve just to test the waters, some people have done that just for curiousity. Only the serious doing nationwide searches on Craigslist would be a worthwhile target audience, I would think most locals would be either tire kickers or flippers.
Tough call, but the best of luck to you with whatever you decide.  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce