News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much can it take (727)

Started by comet_666, January 21, 2015, 09:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

Engine will produce around 550 HP  / 600 TQ at the crank, building a 727 and I want a reverse fully automatic valve body. Spoke to a trans guy around here and he says if I want it to last then go with a trans brake and fully manual valve body.

I want drive ability. Not going to drag it.
Question is will the trans hold up ?

4cruzin

It should . . . I have seen them take a lot of power and hold together.  If you're not going to drag race it, I assume you will be fine!   :2thumbs:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Cooter

Trans brake and not gonna drag it. Hmmm. Trans brakes kill automatics on the street.
sure, it'll live for a little while, but it'll take about 1500.00 to get one to last on the street.

Watch doing burnouts. Sprag is gonna catch hell.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Challenger340

Quote from: comet_666 on January 21, 2015, 09:50:20 AM
Engine will produce around 550 HP  / 600 TQ at the crank, building a 727 and I want a reverse fully automatic valve body. Spoke to a trans guy around here and he says if I want it to last then go with a trans brake and fully manual valve body.

I want drive ability. Not going to drag it.
Question is will the trans hold up ?

IMO,
Forget the tranzbrake on the street, just asking for trouble.

Reverse pattern valve body is ok, Turbo-Action is GREAT stuff, among others.
4 pinion planetary's frt & rear is nice, 4 clutch frt basket minimum, or re-cut the groove for 5(some drums can fit)
For that matter,
call Paul at Turbo-Action for a chin-wag,(those guys were hard core Chrysler guys BEFORE the others were in diapers), see what he can do for a complete trans ?

Hopefully, John Kunkel will chime in here ? or "pm" John.
He'll have the BEST 727 advice !
Just do what he says.....
Only wimps wear Bowties !

John_Kunkel

I don't understand why anybody would think a transbrake will help a 727 survive better in any environment.  :shruggy:

550HP ain't much by today's standards, good quality parts and a good reprogramming kit is all you need.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

comet_666

:iagree:
He is pulling it apart probably next week and we will go from there. I told him I want reverse v body fully automatic. I may drag it once but other than that it is a driver.

fy469rtse

Trans go stage two shift kit , factory shift patten,
Concentrate on the weak spots to these ,
As posted 4 gear front plantery, clutch packs , bolt in rear sprag or over running clutch is a must
Servo's billit,
It depends on how far you want go,
I gave a friend of mine my trans book to read, a bit of knowledge is a good thing , when he understands what it is e that he wants, then we will start on his
John's the expert on here
There's other considerations, good converter , right stall speed , anti ballooning plate ,

John_Kunkel

Quote from: comet_666 on January 21, 2015, 09:31:53 PM
I told him I want reverse v body fully automatic.

Huh? No such thing. From what you've posted so far I would recommend finding another builder.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: fy469rtse on January 22, 2015, 06:22:01 AM
Trans go stage two shift kit , factory shift patten,
Concentrate on the weak spots to these ,
As posted 4 gear front plantery, clutch packs , bolt in rear sprag or over running clutch is a must
Servo's billit,
It depends on how far you want go,

The weak spot in the planetaries isn't the gear count, it's the splines in the front planetary and the 3-gear planetary is actually stronger in this area.

The bolt-in sprag only helps in the case of the least common outer cam ring spinning in the case, the most common failure is of the rollers and the ordinary bolt-in does nothing to prevent that. The Super Sprag, OTOH helps prevent both.

c00nhunterjoe

I dont feel a transbrake is needed unless you are in a full out race car, and even then, alot of the classes dont need them.

c00nhunterjoe

comet_666

Did a bolt in sprag
tf-2 shift kit
blue plate clutches (9)
Kolene Steels (8)
3.8 ratio arm
early servo
5 clutch drum