News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A tire question that is not about sizes.

Started by flyinlow, March 10, 2015, 09:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

Have been running 15" BFG TA's ,now switching to 18" s with higher performance tires. The place I am buying the wheels at recommended Nitto 555's which is a ultra high performance summer tire.  I drive year round in Ohio if the roads are clear. I had it out last month and it was 2*F . The TA's drove fine. (car in 45* garage)

Will the Nitto's be OK in that temp if you take it easy?

Was also thinking about Michelin Pilot Sport 3 A/S or BF Goodrich G-force Super Sport A/S. Anyone use these?

Thanks,

Craig

68 RT

You should be good as long as the roads are clear. The smallesst amount of snow and you will go no where.

bordin34

Most of the high performance summer tires lose a ton of grip below about 45*F. I know on my 944 with Bridgestone Re-11's I cant get any decent traction until I drive at least 20 minutes, even then I wouldnt consider it acceptable. There is a very fine line between traction and sliding with very little warning.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

JR

Summer tires turn near rock hard below 50 degrees or so. I have Nitro 555s on my 70 and love em but would never drive on them in that cold of temp.

As much as I loathe the idea of "all season" tires, I'd be tempted to go that route in this case.

I've ran the same General AS 03s thru 20 degree temps in the Georgia mountains in December, then on 95 degree days on the Road Atlanta road course and found them excellent on both.

But you know what, scratch that.

If you're keeping the 15s then I'd vote to put winter compound tires on them and switch them out every year. The brakes/handing on your Charger aren't nearly as good as modern traffic so you may as well take advantage of both compounds.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

flyinlow

Thanks for the replies and good advice.

Just saw Goodrich is bringing out their G force Comp2 in an A/S .Will be out in April. The regular Comp 2 have good review.  Good price compared to the Michelin Pilot A/S. I am waiting for the rear wheels anyway. I will look into the Generals also.