News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

12.19" Front Rotors

Started by MxRacer855, February 04, 2015, 08:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MxRacer855

Generally rim sizes need to be 4" bigger that disc diameters. I think in the past though, I've heard a few people mention that they had 12.19" rotors up front, and got away with still using 15" traditional wheels...

Has anybody done it? Does it work?

I'm in between putting 17's or 15's on my car (if 15's are even an option with Wilwood 4-piston 12.19" rotors and calipers).

Thanks  :2thumbs:

Jeff

Patronus

I run the 12.19" rotors w/Bassett's 15" circle track wheel.
You need to run their 45 degree lugs - which do not come in a left-hand thread
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

HPP

It really depends on the wheel and brake caliper to determine if it will swallow a 12.19.

Like Patronus pointed out, the circle track wheels he runs have maximum room inside the wheel to allow large rotors and lighter weight. Other street oriented wheels like Magnums or Rallyes weren't designed for such large clearances and would not be able to fit anything larger than an 11.75 and a factory caliper. Similarly, Companies like Wilwood have designed calipers with very shallow bridge heights to all them to tuck in closely to the rotors and provide more clearance to the wheel.

Now for the 15 vs 17 concern, application may help drive this as there are more speed rated tires available in 17" than 15" and they are a bit more cost effective. Although the choices of 17" tires are shrinking as the OEMs migrate to 18" and 20". FWIW,  A z rated 15" tire is going to run you $350, be marginally streetable, and will have 1 maybe 2 tire choices. A z rated 17" tire will run you around $190 and have a choice of around 30 types from pure street to UHP to race.

MxRacer855

Thanks guys!  :2thumbs:

I guess I'm just going to need to pull ever measurement that I possibly can in order to determine (ahead of time) if I can run a 15" rim.

I really do want high speed rated tires. I went over 15" speed rated tires with someone before (a little while back), and I think one of the only tires we came up with was a brand by the name of "Avon"?? Does that sound right? I know the selection of 15" speed performance tires is slim to none. Unfortunately, the 17"s seem to be disappearing as well... (like you said).

I think I'm just going to try to make the 17"s work. In my opinion, 15's look a lot better and more "classic", but I DON'T think 17's are too big. I definitely don't want to go any bigger though. most of the high speed rated tires that I'm coming across now are more for 18's and higher.

I think I'll shoot for a 17x10, and a 17x8. Hopefully I can find some performance Nitto tires for them.

Thanks again!  :cheers:

Jeff

HPP

Avon makes the Z rated CR6 tires. that are D.O.T. approved, barely. They really are a race tire for D.O.T. classes

Mickey Thompson SR and Maxxis Marauder are both H speed rated to 130 mph, which is past where most of our cars would routinely run. They offer some wide sizes in 15" and are a little easier to find and certainly less expensive than the Avons.

If you do go with 17", pick a size that was available as an OEM. This would be something like a 245/45, 275/40, 335/35. Anything that came factory on Camaros, Mustangs, Vettes, or Vipers would be a good choice.

MxRacer855

Thanks Hpp!  :2thumbs:

I definitely appreciate all of the help and advice. I'm going to look into both options that you gave me for the 15" wheels, and a handful for the 17"s.

Next week, I'll know if my 15" wheel will clear my calipers... if they do, than I'll most likely run the 15"s.  :cheers:

Jeff

MxRacer855

So guys, I got the 12.19" rotors to fit in my 15" wheels, but the tie rod ends on my coil over suspension rubs on the 15"s...

I have to go bigger now. But for future reference, even though Wilwood says you need rims 4" bigger in diameter than your rotors to clear the brakes... you can pull it off with OEM suspension.

Tight fit, but it works!  :2thumbs:

MxRacer855

Clearance....

John_Kunkel

With rigid calipers you can run feeler gauge clearances but not always with single-piston calipers.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Patronus

17's will look great, plus you get some tire options. Wheel shoppin' time!
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

MxRacer855

Quote from: Patronus on March 01, 2015, 11:54:06 AM
17's will look great, plus you get some tire options. Wheel shoppin' time!

A friends dad owns Billet specialties, so I can get those cheaper than anything.

I'm stuck between the "SLG 60"
http://www.billetspecialties.com/wheels/slg-series/slgseries/slg60/

& the "Classic" rim..
http://www.billetspecialties.com/wheels/cruise-line/cruiseline/classic/

Thoughts?

mike337

Were 16 inch rims unworkable?

fy469rtse

Jeff ,
SLG60 , 7" front by 17 or 18 , any wider than that i think you will have trouble on full lock rubbing,
18 x 10"s please on the rear , dont go too low a profile tyre , mate of mine here hates how hard hes seems to ride on low profile tyres,  :2thumbs: :drool5:
going to look great on your car

MxRacer855

That's why I wanted to stick to 17's Geoff.
I could get a lot taller sidewall on the back.
I'm not a huge fan of short sidewalls on big rims.

Jeff

fy469rtse

:2thumbs: I think I want a set of these in 17" 10's on the back,
But I want them black , have my lettering out , NASCAR style , yes same as you Jeff a bit of side wall,

68pplcharger

I've got 17's on mine and they look sweet, plenty of sidewall. 17x11 on the back fits perfectly

HPP

Quote from: MxRacer855 on February 27, 2015, 09:17:16 PM
So guys, I got the 12.19" rotors to fit in my 15" wheels, but the tie rod ends on my coil over suspension rubs on the 15"s...

Yeah, that's a potential drawback of a front steer system when the tie rod ends are further out than stock.  On a rear steer system it probably would have cleared.

MxRacer855

I'm going 17x8's up front and 17x10's in the rear!  :2thumbs:
They look great on your car 68!

68pplcharger