News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing knock out in valve covers

Started by keith88, January 31, 2015, 10:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keith88

Hi everyone i just bought a set of mopar performance valve covers for my charger anyone have an idea on removing the knock outs little concerned about cracking the cover when doing so. I also have another question i  bought the grommets that go it it and i was told the the PVC grommet goes in the oil cap hole is this true.
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

PlainfieldCharger

I thought those needed to be drilled out as they are cast aluminum :cheers:

Sublime/Sixpack

It's been years since I did a set of those, but it seems that I used a drill first then a die grinder with a bit in it for aluminum.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

70 sublime

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on January 31, 2015, 11:15:06 AM
It's been years since I did a set of those, but it seems that I used a drill first then a die grinder with a bit in it for aluminum.

I went this route also about 6 months ago

Just go slow and keep checking the fit :2thumbs:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

terrible one

Am I the only one that took a huge punch and small sledge to theirs?  :P Turned cover upside down, smacked the plug out, then cleaned up the rough edges with a file. Mine were M/T's so maybe the MP covers are different.

XH29N0G

I didn't punch them out.  I just used the PVC grommet on one side (it went into the spot where the valve cover caps go).  I had to drill the plug out using a wood spade bit to make it the right size for the PVC valve I had. I used a breather that was threaded to fit in where the valve caps go on the other side.  I suggest you mock up before knocking out.  If you want to know out, or drill out, go ahead.  I have been told you need different gromets for that.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

69wannabe

The last one's I put on for a customer I actually found a grommet that fit the twist in cap hole and the mopar pcv valve fit it nicely and I just used a twist in style oil cap with a breather for the other side. I can't remember what the number for the grommet was but I found in the the help section at my local o'reillys. Did you valve covers come with the baffle's and screw's??? Them are also necessary if they didn't come with them you will need to get them. I did these valve covers this way so I didn't have to drill them. I will look tomorrow and see if I have that grommet number hanging on the wall in my shop. I have a bad habit about saving part numbers and sticking them on the wall for future reference!!!

fy469rtse

Big socket underneath to support area that you don't want to damage , hammer and  punch , job done ,
Clean up edge
:2thumbs:

69wannabe

The grommet number that fits where the oil caps screw into the valve cover is a 42054 in the help section. Like I said the other side I just used a breather style oil cap that twist in so I didn't have to knock out or drill the valve covers and just used the holes that were already there. The grommet number above is good to use to fit your pcv valve into. Seal's off very nicely.

XH29N0G

This is what I did, but used p5249642 which for the PVC valve I had required a little drilling to enlarge.  I will look for the 42054 next time.

Or maybe it protects us. 

keith88

Ended up doing the Drill and burring bit thing it worked great for me.

1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

XH29N0G

Or maybe it protects us. 

Sublime/Sixpack

Good to hear it worked out for you, and the covers look great. :2thumbs:
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

PlainfieldCharger

Looks great...hole saw and press used on mine :2thumbs:

Yatzee

These are not really "knock out" so the hole is generally made using a hole saw and a drill press after finding exact center.

chargd72

Quote from: Yatzee on February 05, 2015, 06:43:39 PM
These are not really "knock out" so the hole is generally made using a hole saw and a drill press after finding exact center.

:iagree:

Found that out the hard way.  I used the knock out method but all it really does is collapse the hole.  It works if you clean it up enough with the dremmel but it would have been much easier just to drill it out.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

PlainfieldCharger

I guess we could call them drill outs...I knew knocking or punching them out was not the option... :shruggy: