News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

06 dodge charger

Started by kenahathaway, February 02, 2015, 03:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

battery light on

voltage regulator
1 (33.3%)
alternator
2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: March 04, 2015, 03:38:46 PM

kenahathaway

Dodgecharger74

74 charger se
82 dodge PU fleetside short box 440
05 magnum 5.7 Hemi
04 rumble bee hemi

kenahathaway

kenahathaway

If someone. Has a wiring schematics for the charging system

JR

Its unlikely..

...you're going to get much help...

... if you keep...

...typing...

...like William Shatner....

..speaks.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

JB400

A little better description would be of more help, but I'd say your alternator is what is triggering the light.

Ghoste

I'd test the battery first because its easy but if I were forced to guess I'd go with alternator too.  :shruggy:

kenahathaway

Problem...passenger side under hood there are three wires that go
to the alternator the wire retaining clips became brittle and fell on the exhaust
manifold while driving to washington

I've already repaired the wiring....had the alternator bench tested...
the battery also... and the computer...

There's still a short to ground...
voltage regulator is double
    what it should be...

skip68

Welcome to the site kenahathaway.   :cheers:  
Unfortunately most of us here aren't going to know much about the new Chargers.   This site is geared towards the classic muscle car 1966-1974 Dodge Chargers.     Good luck and stick around.   :2thumbs:  
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

1965gp

Take it to parts store and they can tell you.

kenahathaway

Do you have any suggestions
as to what site I can go to find
the info

six-tee-nine

Quite simple....

Put a voltmeter on the battery. After sitting a night you should read close to 12volts.
Start the engine and the alternator takes over so you should read something closer to 14 volts.
If the batt tension doesnt go up your alternator or the voltage regulator can be bad. Only way to find out is to replace the voltage regulator. (wich is a part of the alternator nowadays). Best to replace the regulator first because its not that expensive to replace. If that doesnt help it might very well be the alternator itself.

Also check if the tension doesnt go over say 15 volts. In that case you might have a bad ground. Could be from engine block to the body or from battery to body.

If all this checks out good then I suggest you have the car diagnosed. (OBD) And look for possible fault codes that could lead to another gremlin.

Good luck.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...