News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What was your first car? What happened to it?

Started by 66FBCharger, January 13, 2015, 08:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

bill440rt

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 16, 2015, 03:53:45 PM

Man we must be bored here.  :smilielol:

These are the topics that come out during the winter months.
However, talking about cars we used to own (or our dads that were an inspiration in our lives) is a pretty good topic.  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

TUFCAT

Man we must be bored here.  :smilielol:

Talking about father and son projects here....this is good stuff.  :2thumbs:

I didn't discuss the many hours I spent with my Dad sanding that Duster to get it ready for paint. I had the rust repairs done by a collision shop and we did the rest.  Looking back, those were some pretty cool days. :icon_smile_big:   Dad took a week off work and we spent that time priming, block sanding, priming, block sanding some more, and even a bit more..... until we were both tired and out of stories.  :coolgleamA:  I still remember how much I bonded with my Dad that week.

The car turned out very nice and wasn't wasn't wavy... I can assure you of that~  :buff:   Our body work would have been considered nearly perfect by standards of the day (circa 1984), and I was very proud of it.  :icon_smile_wink:

Edit: I thought back for a moment and realized my Dad was 41 years old back then. I'm now 47. Wow how time flies.....

1973rallye

It was a 1968 Acadian Beaumont Custom, 307 cubic inches, 2 speed powerglide transmission. After a series of unfortunate minor collisions(car was jinxed), I traded it for a 1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye. The very next time I saw the Beaumont the front end was crunched. Like I said, jinxed!
1973 Rallye 440 4 speed
2016 Challenger r/t Shaker

jaak

Quote from: 1973rallye on January 16, 2015, 11:41:05 PM
It was a 1968 Acadian Beaumont Custom, 307 cubic inches, 2 speed powerglide transmission. After a series of unfortunate minor collisions(car was jinxed), I traded it for a 1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye. The very next time I saw the Beaumont the front end was crunched. Like I said, jinxed!

Beaumonts, those are the cars that look like Chevelles, right?

Jason

EDIT... I googled some pics, they are the Chevelle look-a-likes.

Ghoste

Yeah, a bit of a hybrid with some Pontiac externals and Chevy drivetrains and so on.  It let the smaller dealer network in Canada get better sellers in areas that might not have every brand they wanted.

Ghoste

Man we must be bored here.  :smilielol:

So what exciting topic would you like to introduce?

tcs69rt

Quote from: 6spd68 on January 16, 2015, 11:59:07 AM
Quote from: tcs69rt on January 15, 2015, 03:58:08 PM
1973 Monte Carlo in 1983. I miss the swivel bucket seats.

I'd always wondered how they were received by the driver.  Were they practical?

They did not recline, solid backs. At that age I had no complaints or brain cells, haha!
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

polywideblock

Quote from: Ghoste on January 17, 2015, 01:29:41 AM
Yeah, a bit of a hybrid with some Pontiac externals and Chevy drivetrains and so on.  It let the smaller dealer network in Canada get better sellers in areas that might not have every brand they wanted.

Aussie dodges were the same   :yesnod: 

my 60(assembled here in oz and sold new )  has a Plymouth interior and the 318 poly not the 315 poly 

think it's a commonwealth( Australia,Canada etc) thing    :scratchchin:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Lord Warlock

Kind of depends on how you look at the question.  First car that I drove was a Volvo 544 my dad bought new in 1963, he still owns it today, and my name is also on the title as I get it when he dies.  The first car that I bought myself, with money I earned from delivering papers for 5 years, was a 1969 Charger RT SE in July 1978.  Paid 800 cash for it, it was totally stock except for slot mags (see my avatar pic, that's me the day I left for college without my car).  Car had 76000 original miles, door handle didn't work (clip fell off inside door) and the radio was disconnected but still in an uncut dash.  Drove it my Senior year in High School, and my 2nd thru 5th year in college, then parked it when entered the military in my Dad's hobby garage. 
Has sat in my garage for last 30+ years, finally restored/restomodded it back to original condition better than it was when I got it.  It is ready to drive now, just have to get rid of a couple other toys blocking it from rolling out the gate to the backyard.  Body has no dents, no rust, only panels not stock are front valence and trunk floor.  I look forward to seeing it on the road again this year.  Have to drive it before cancer gets me again.   
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Memphis Mopar

1980 Camaro V6 3 speed which was changed to a 350SBC and a 4 speed. Parents sold it when I went into the Marine Corps.

VegasCharger

1974 Dodge Charger coupe 318. I actually financed it thru a used car lot :brickwall: $1200.00  It was red with black interior bench seat auto on column. Removed the bench seat and put in VW buckets (ughh what was I thinking). Threw headers on it, had to reverse my column shift linkage and that was all messed up. I had no parking gear :brickwall: Had to use e-brake and that ventually went out :brickwall: The salt froze it up (this was in Ohio). Yes I drove my 74 Charger thru the winter during my senior year of HS. I had it for a year and a half before it came to a grinding halt and was scrapped for parts putting into my next car which was a 1973 Dodge Charger SE. Brown with white vinyl top and white interior 400 auto slap stick A/C. Bought for $150.00 it was a rag.

Pic of my 74 towards the latter stages of owning it.

4cruzin

My first car was a 1973 black Plymouth barracuda and it is out in the garage.  Bought it in 1982 for $1800 . . . Original motor and 4 speed trans and had about 45K on the odometer.  

:2thumbs:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

billssuperbird

1970 Chevy nova ss drove it for years then Tour it all down to Restore decided to get Married parted it all out then she back out.  :flame: worst day of my life I lost the car.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: tcs69rt on January 21, 2015, 09:52:20 PM
Quote from: 6spd68 on January 16, 2015, 11:59:07 AM
Quote from: tcs69rt on January 15, 2015, 03:58:08 PM
1973 Monte Carlo in 1983. I miss the swivel bucket seats.

I'd always wondered how they were received by the driver.  Were they practical?

They did not recline, solid backs. At that age I had no complaints or brain cells, haha!

Okay I'll  play. I had a 69 4dr impala for 6 months until I got rear ended. Then bought a 73 Monte Carlo that was beat to death.  It was 10 years old and the swivel buckets did not lock and had a floor shifter that got in the way with me and my girlfriend.  It was my brothers 72 Charger is what sold me on looks and performance.  Hence, been a old school Mopar guy since.

skip68

63 Ford Ranchero, inline 6 and 3 on the tree.   Was bought for my older sister but she couldn't drive it so it was given to me.    :'(  seems like a lifetime ago. 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

GOTWING

My first car was my 73 Charger S/E, pale green white top, dark green interior I bought it in 1984 from our local Ford dealer where it was traded in by an elderly couple. The car was still like new with low miles, I did all of the things that we did then, air shocks, Cragar SS mags, custom duals on the 318, Alpine stereo and that's about it.
I drove it daily until 1988 and made the mistake of selling it to another 16 year old that basically took a show quality car and trashed it. I kept tabs on it over the years and eventually lost track of it after he sold it in the 90's Fast forward 23 years later to the summer of 2011, long story but I got my actual Charger back, it was painted FJ5 lime light with color keyed bumpers etc it now has a 340 in it , the car was very rough with rust and filler. The guy that I got it from thought it was worth a mint because it was a Mopar. I never led him on that I knew that it was my old car, I told him it was after I had it loaded up onto my trailer, :D  he thought that was really cool. The whole process to buy it took weeks of trying to convince him that it's not as valuable as say a 69 R/T Charger ! The car will undergo a rotisserie restoration in the near future as I have been collecting nos and new parts, metal etc. BTW if AMD is reading this you guys need to make full ¼'s for 73-4 Chargers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flame:

Homerr

In order: 78 Celica, 69 Triumph TR6 beater, 91 CRX Si, 69 Dodge truck, 69 Charger (my avatar pic), 72 'Cuda, 95 Civic Si.

The last one was stolen a couple years ago and I'm driving my wife's 2002 Subaru Impreza as a DD, she takes the bus.  It's been automotive purgatory driving the Imp, but I'm building up major points and will have free reign over a future 70 Charger purchase (i.e. no wife aggro).

The Celica probably was turned into tin cans 20 years ago that have now been recycled a few times.

Baldwinvette77

Did you abandon it at a gas station? was it gold?? did you sell it to my neighbour? Cause he had a smashed gold 68 that he put a 69 chevelle front end on to repair it...

later.. he killed a pedestrian with it, then it got t-boned...

1973rallye

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on January 24, 2015, 07:53:47 AM
Did you abandon it at a gas station? was it gold?? did you sell it to my neighbour? Cause he had a smashed gold 68 that he put a 69 chevelle front end on to repair it...

later.. he killed a pedestrian with it, then it got t-boned...
Ouch! That describes a demon car! Not one that is jinxed. It was a metallic green(name escapes me). The dealership actually took it in trade. The challenger was 3500 and I believe I may have received 500 for it.
1973 Rallye 440 4 speed
2016 Challenger r/t Shaker

Tbird100636

In a manner of speaking, I had more than one "first car".

My first car was a 1991 Mercury Sable. It was my uncle's car, had 100,000 miles on it, he was a chain smoker so it stunk, could never get rid of the smell. It got traded so I got bumped to my mothers old car, a 1990 Ford Taurus. That got totaled with 79,000 on the clock in late 2004.

My first car purchase that I could actually call my own was a 2001 Ford Taurus. It only had 34,000 miles on it, put about 11,000 on it, traded for my next car 2/2007.

My first new car purchase was what I traded my 01 Taurus for, a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T. Put 18,000 miles on it and traded it for my current car 11/2011, which is a 2011 Dodge Charger R/T AWD.