News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is there a 68 Charger registry?

Started by verdelaw, January 31, 2015, 07:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

verdelaw

I haven't been able to find one. 

And additionally.. what exactly is the function of a registry?  I initially assumed it was an official thing where you could find information about your car from the manufacturer... but now I see they're privately run?  Curious, thanks.  :2thumbs:

BB14404SPD

verdelaw

So that's a no then?  No 68 registry anywhere?  I wonder why since that is the best looking, most awesome charger there ever was...  :yesnod:

Also, no answer to that specific purpose of a registry question??..   :popcrn:

Troy

I guess it depends on the car. Some cars have a lot more information available from the manufacturer (Shelby for example). Unfortunately, a lot of the Chrysler documentation from the muscle car years was destroyed so they aren't much help. So, in our case, the registries help to track "known" cars and can sometimes use averages and other statistics to give an idea about what how common certain colors and options were (or still exist). They can also (to an extent) track ownership history, sales prices, and discrepancies (ie a car with 120k miles in the 1980 with a replacement engine being sold now with 4k original miles and the numbers matching drive train).

There are a couple of other threads specifically relating to the 1968 Charger Registry. I am aware of at least three over time and all have gone away. The last one charged for its use and I didn't expect it to last long and never submitted info on any of my cars. I own the domain names 1968chargerregistry.com and 1968dodgechargerregistry.com with the intention of resurrecting (and keeping) a registry. I have been holding off until I have more time to dedicate to it - at least initially. Dan Helms (Dans 68 here on the site) has been collecting data and will, hopefully, be doing a lot of the work. ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

MxRacer855

I would love to submit my '68s info to the cause when it becomes operational.

Dodge Don

Quote from: verdelaw on January 31, 2015, 07:39:02 PM

And additionally.. what exactly is the function of a registry?  I initially assumed it was an official thing where you could find information about your car from the manufacturer... but now I see they're privately run?  Curious, thanks.  :2thumbs:

Registries are created typically by enthusiasts looking to help fellow owners and the hobby. I cannot speak for the other Registries but by way of an example the 70 Charger Registry focusses exclusively on that single year/model.

The 1970 Charger Registry is a not-for-profit entity established to document every 1970 Dodge Charger possible to assist owners and enthusiasts globally. With each car registered we fill in another piece of the overall puzzle providing valuable insights and information which allows us to provide the hobby with fact based information such as our fender tag and broadcast sheet decoders. Your VIN and contact information is ALWAYS kept confidential. Registration of every car possible is important as each provides another layer of information to assist all owners globally. The Registry allows us to assist owners and enthusiasts with answers to a myriad of questions. In addition to the learnings and publication of information specific to 70 Chargers, the Registry has reunited owners with missing documentation on their car, assisted former owners locate their old Charger, connect current and previous owners to help fill in the cars history, identify potential new purchase concerns such as cars registered as previously scrapped or non-original fender tag, the notification and purchase of sequential build cars etc.

An example:

I don't usually get photos but here is one where I hooked up a 70 Charger owner from Sweden (on left) with a former owner from Texas (on right) to get original paperwork including the broadcast sheet. To round out the globe trotting the owner from Sweden paid me a visit at the 2014 Moparfest car show in Ontario Canada to thank me for helping him. That right there makes all this worthwhile  :hello:

Ghoste

Very very well put Don.  I may steal some of that if you don't mind.

Dodge Don

Quote from: Ghoste on February 03, 2015, 09:07:12 AM
Very very well put Don.  I may steal some of that if you don't mind.

By all means.  :2thumbs:

tipopiola

I'd be more than happy to submit info on my Mr. Norm's '68 R/T 4-speed.

Dans 68

In the meantime, until an official registry becomes operational, you can send your info to me at 1968DodgeChargerRegistry@gmail.com. I'll keep it safe.  ;)

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259