News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Calling mister kunkel, re valve body

Started by fy469rtse, January 31, 2015, 06:08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fy469rtse

John , hoping you can help me with an issue
I seem to have a problem with the valve body
Lokar cable used for kick down , had it adjusted perfectly , right amount of travel to throttle, that took a bit of sorting to get that right , car has only done a couple of 15 minute shake down runs,
On the latest run, could only get half throttle
Noticed trans shifted funny , when I was checking everything out , kick down lever will only partially move , not its full travel, so only partial throttle travel as a result,
Disconnected cable just to make sure that wasn't fouling anywhere, yep kick down lever will not move it's full travel, only the first part, roughly a third of the way , then it's solid , where it should go a lot further than this
it was fine before , trans kick down
What ? Could I have done wrong for this , what am I looking for when I drop valve body,
Trans go stage 2 shift kit is the only mod done to valve body

John_Kunkel

There is an e-clip on the shaft that the lever slides down onto, the clip might have popped off and allowed the shaft to drop down. Get an inspection mirror and flashlight and see if you can see the clip in place under the lever, if not, you may have to remove the lever to see the clip. If the clip is in place you'll have to pull the pan for a look/see for something binding the lever shaft or cam.

The bottom of the lever shaft has a cam that pushes on the kickdown valve in the valve body...e-clip groove is near the top on the right below.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

fy469rtse

Thanks John,
Going to get to it now, thanks for the heads up , at least I have a guide on what I've done incorrectly  :2thumbs:
Will post the results of what I find

fy469rtse

Clips in place ? Shafts in the right position ,
Next is drain the fluid and drop the pan and inspect what it's binding on

fy469rtse

Ok got motivated,
Drained fluid , dropped pan ,
What I found , shop that had put trans together had missed this ? The stop on line pressure was loose, lock nut wasn't done up ,
It was backed off quite a way , stop had wound its way out until line pressure pistons came out far enough to cock out of line, no chance of line pressure valve ,
Lucky I had a friend I could call on,
He has a lot of proper factory type tools, and info on settings , correct depth etc,
Only reason this went to shop was because of the many varied valve body's , I always get the valve body wrong, everything else was new assembled,
Thanks again John , for the guide and always good info,
Oh well everyone makes mistakes, just glad I got this sorted,
But added to the list of many things that needed attention or re done,