News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

295/50/15 Hoosiers on 15x10 Steelies With 5.5" Back Space

Started by tipopiola, January 26, 2015, 11:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tipopiola

Hey guys!  I've got a '68 R/T project that's been rolling around on original 14x7 steelies with original F70-14 tires with 45 year old air in them.  I picked up a pair of brand new 295/50/15 Hoosiers for free and it looks like I can get some 15x10 steel rims that'll match the 14x7 steelies I've got up front through Summit for $135 each with free shipping.  The Wheel Vintiques 15x10's only come in a 5.5 back space, which from what I've read, is perfect.  I don't see anyone running Hoosiers, seems that the BFG's are the go to tire, but these were free.  Anyway, before I pull the trigger, am I right with my assumption that the 295/50/15 Hoosiers on 15x10 steelies with 5.5" back spacing is gonna work on my '68?  Sounds like I can dramatically change the look/stance of my car for $270!

cdr

it should clear but you might have to put 1/4 spacer to keep the tire off the leaf spring when going in a corner.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Patronus

^agreed. I run 5"bs and when I pull into a driveway the tweak rubs a bit. I have AMD quarters with a wide lip tho. 5.5 is ideal, then shim. :cheers:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

chargerbr549

on my 69 Charger I have 5.5 backspace wheels with about a .250 inch spacer, other wise the tire hits the inside wheel tub during cornering it also somes close the leaf springs but still clears, I have the rear lowered a little over an inch and the outer part of the wheel tub starts getting pretty close the the tire, I think if I had a normal ride height or taller that would be a non issue and the 5" backspacing would work ok. I'm running Cooper Cobra radials by the way, I know some 295/50/15 are wider than others.

tipopiola

Thanks for the input guys!  I ordered the 15x10 stock style steelie Wheel Vintiques rims yesterday for dirt cheap through Summit and got a tracking number and confirmation that they'll already be arriving tomorrow.  Can't wait to mount up the new wheels.  Where's the best place to order up the wheel spacers?  The '68 will just be rolling around the shop for a while so no rush, but if I do end up having to space them, I'll order up some 1/4 spacers.  Thanks again! 

VegasCharger

So it sounds like 5.25 back space is the best fit. Do they not make rims with 5.25 BS? Thus the reason to go with 5.5 BS rims and then a 1/4 spacer to equate to 5.25 BS :shruggy: