News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Glug, Glug, Glug...

Started by Shakey, January 29, 2015, 03:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

re: the title of the thread, sorry but...

So, last evening I am in the garage, long story short I close the door of my car and I hear the glug, glug, glug noise noted above.  My first thought was the fuel in the very near full tank was moving side-to-side but I knew I didn't close the door that hard.

It seems to me that there was a quantity of fuel in the filler tube that was making it's way into the tank.  This be odd as it was about a month ago that I filled the tank and I did have the car out last Friday for a short cruise around town.

First thought was the filler neck vent tube is clogged, keeping the fuel in the neck.

Thoughts or experiences with this?   :shruggy:

Cncguy

I would say air trapped in tank. Need to check vent

TUFCAT

Old Moparz

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

twodko

Mexican food will do that to ya!  :lol:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

myk

Maybe the car was saying goodnight?

Patronus

Im thinking its the gas in the line falling back into the tank after the pump stops.  :mcride:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Shakey

Good Morning,

The amount of fuel (based on the noise level) was, best I can tell, draining from the filler neck.  That glug sound I noted was quite noticeable and not a trickle.

The small vent tube that runs parallel to the neck - if that is blocked would it keep the fuel in the neck?   :shruggy:  That's my guess.

I think I'll find a thin wire and try to poke it down the neck/vent tube to clear it.  I am thinking small spider or dirt.

Shakey

Quote from: twodko on January 29, 2015, 07:38:58 PM
Mexican food will do that to ya!  :lol:

Funny enough - had Indian food for lunch yesterday and noticed a similar sound coming from my stomach late yesterday.   :yesnod:

Gorg need water!   :D

Ghoste

How about coolant settling back?

Shakey

Quote from: Ghoste on January 30, 2015, 09:05:40 AM
How about coolant settling back?

Nope, it was flowing into the fuel tank.  After I shut the door I thought I hear something and turned back towards the car, standing right by the LT QTR panel listening to it glug, glug, glug into the tank.

Yatzee

Here's just a thought. As you take fuel out of the tank, air has to come in to fill the void. With a plugged vent tube the only place for air to enter is the vent hole in the gas cap. Had an old Toyota once that would stall for no reason as the vacuum built in the tank after filling and driving long stints. The vacuum in the tank was so great that the mechanic noticed the tank was being sucked in at the large bottom panel. He pulled the cap off and you could hear the air rushing in. Cars are not "sealed systems" like today's so perhaps you have an issue with air getting back in the tank to replace the volume of spent fuel.

70 sublime

Could it be a hot and cold thing

If you had just the right amount of fuel in the tank that the end of the filler tube was covered but there was air trapped in the tank
Warmer weather made the air in the tank push gas up the tube some and cooler weather (air trapped in tank shrunk) sucked it back and then some extra air was sneaking by also ?

One time in the summer I had parked a 68 Charger in my driveway
My driveway slopes down away from the house
Sunny day, I was walking by the car and could smell gas
I popped the cap and gas shot about a foot in the air full size of the filler neck
Caught me by total surprise
My vent pipe must have been partially plugged
Must have been the perfect storm with the right amount of gas in the tank and car on an angle so air was trapped
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

TUFCAT

Building on what Yatzee and Sublime just said about venting..... could it be something as simple as the fuel cap perhaps?  :scratchchin: